VSD 5.9.2 - BIG HEADS UP BEFORE YOU...

User 436416 Photo

87 posts

I think I know why a few people "lost" their Flash images and etc. when uploading after going to VSD 5.9.2. First off:

MAKE A COPY OF YOUR *.VNU FILE BEFORE YOU INSTALL 5.9.2!!!!!!

It seems 5.9.2 messes up the internal file paths of EXISTING settings by duplicating the paths a few times. For instance, if you have an image c:\images\test.jpg, it is saved as c:\imagesc:\images\test.jpg! This seems to happen only to files that you added manually using the Settings | Add Files option. So, in my case, all my Photo Gallery and Flash Form files are "lost".

The fix is to Remove Files and re-add them all. Hopefully you remember where each file came from!

Hopefully this will save some people some headaches ... back to adding my 100+ files ...

[EDITED] WELL, DON'T UPGRADE ... it trashed my paths AGAIN!!!!! Going back to 5.9.1 ... :(

And, No, register.exe doesn't help as it will not run: "This application has failed to start ..."
User 367884 Photo

65 posts

This post sort of concerns me. I just updated to VSD 5.9.2 (by removing my prior VSD program first), and I've started making changes to my website using 5.9.2. I haven't uploaded the changes yet, but Peter's post has me wondering if I should have done something prior to updating to 5.9.2. Are the problems Peter describes universal? I would think there would be more posts about these problems if everybody were having them.

Before I try to upload my changes using 5.9.2, is there anything I should do (or should have done before)? Although I've been using CC for a year now, I don't know too much technical stuff. I just use the CC programs to do everything for me, so I'm not real confident about doing a new upload if it's going to mess something up that I don't know how to readily fix.

Thanks,

Tom

www.noxlife.com
www.wizzstickers.com
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

For the Flash applications, you shouldn't add them that way. You should use the CoffeeCup Flash Tool. It does everything automatically for you. Manually adding them can cause problems.

I just tried what you described here and no file paths were duplicated.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

It's funny (not really) how everyone's computers react differently when you'd think machines would be more consistent. I have several flash apps on my site (jukebox, gallery, form, etc) and luckily haven't had any path issues after upgrading.
User 436416 Photo

87 posts

Adam R. wrote:
It's funny (not really) how everyone's computers react differently when you'd think machines would be more consistent. I have several flash apps on my site (jukebox, gallery, form, etc) and luckily haven't had any path issues after upgrading.

Try this on for size:

- create a new website
- put something there, anything ;)
- use Settings | Add Files to add a JPEG to the list
- save the website and exit VSD
- open the website again and look at Setting | Remove Files and see what the path setting now is ...

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.