"the program could not gain access to...

User 423955 Photo

2 posts

Hi,

This message appears when loading changes onto my website:
"An Error has occured
the program could not gain access to enter and read content of a catalog on the sesrver. Many different thing can cause this so you should try again later"

(yikes, the grammer on that message!)

The Problem:

I loaded some major changes to my VSD website a day or two ago, with no problem. Nothing was changed regarding settings or such.
Today I went in again to finish the edit/adding pictures.

The above notice appears when it would normally be loading.
Since it loaded fine yesterday, why would it go haywire today?

Big Question: How to fix this so it will load?

I found a partial answer to the problem on this site via a google search, but wasn't logged in, and when I have logged in, I can't re-locate the original answer to this question.

Partial Answer: the answer I found on this site showed a screen photo with a setting chart:
"my sites"
that asked for the following boxes to be filled out correctly:
Host name: 12.123.123.12
<box> username
<box> password
<box> port, 21
<box> timeout, 120
<box> initial host folder: website name.com

Where can I find this chart? I am not familiar with computer software, so I need more clear, precise instructions on were to locate this chart, and what should my settings be?

finally--why should I be checking my settings? if those were not changed yesteday, how could that be the problem now?

thanks, Jen O
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Hey Jen O, what version is your VSD? In the main menu, go to Help -> About. The latest is currently 5.9.4.

Also, who's your web host? That help others in troubleshooting the correct settings, but as you said, it worked before so it should be correct as is.

This might've been the post you saw regarding the settings:
http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/website … -problems/
User 423955 Photo

2 posts

Hi,

We just updated the VSD program this past week.

Since I posted that question tonite, I was able to load the current changes to the website about an hour ago, but not by going through the 'upload' button.
I used the 'settings' instead.

But now the VSD program has suddenly shut down while I was working.
I had to gone back into the VSD after the upload because images were not shown on the website as they were shown on the VSD.

(what I was working with on VSD was not what I ended up with when it was loaded onto the website--the pages look different).

Right now, VSD will not load--
"Visual Site Designer Application has stopped working.
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I am working with "vista".

IX is the web host (I think that's the name)

any help for this problem?

thanks,
Jennifer
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Chances are, if VSD gets an error when it loads, you either have to right-click on the shortcut (icon) and choose Run As Administrator or you can disable Vista's nagging User Account Control (UAC) and VSD will then work fine with the normal left-clicking.
Disabling UAC

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.