The page window settings in VSD to...

User 466032 Photo

14 posts

Hello,

I am building a website using VSD. I am getting a bit confused with the page window settings. In the page title box, does the name of the website go here? e.g. redpearl-tattoo.com? In the page ID box, does the page name go here? e.g. www.redpearl-tattoo.com/index or/AboutUs etc?

The main reason this is causing issues is that I am using the flash menu creator and I am unsure of what to put as the URL for the links to the pages, whether its whats in the page title box or the page ID box.

Is there a way to test these settings on my local machine before I upload the site to ensure its all working ok?

Thanks,

Stallen
Stallen
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Stallen Hi, The Page Tititle is usually whatever name you saved your VSD project as, and this will show at the top of your internet window so yes it could be the name of your website.

Page id is the name of the page, like in your example it could be "Contacr Us" Or if it's the first Page "Home". If you you were to link to the first page from the second or third page home would be http://www.yourwebsite.com/index.html----if your on your home page(first page) and wish to link to second page named Contact Us it would link like this, ContactUs.html---note that is best to keep your page names one word and lower case as this will save you trouble later on. The Flash menu button you refer to can have text like Contact Us, but the page name should be 1 word as stated again, I know said it twice.So now the page after that lets say is About Us, then that link will be ABoutUs.html and so on. hope this explanation makes sense.

User 466032 Photo

14 posts

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your reply.

I have now gone through every page and saved them as: page title = Side Appartments and the page IDs I have changed to lower case and if their are two words involved I have inserted an underscore between them .e.g. side_transport. So each page ID is unique and one word.

Now, when I put the URLs in to flash menu builder do I need to put the URLs as http://www.redpearl-tattoo.com/side_transport or just /side_transport? or /side_transport.html?

Thanks for all your help Bruce.

Stallen
Stallen
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

you would use your second suggestion, side_transport.html
good job! only the home button would require the full url/index.html
Oh I forgot to mention you could also copy and paste your menu to each page as well. good luck.

User 466032 Photo

14 posts

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for all your help. The menus are working correctly now. I will remember how to use them properly from now on, thanks to you :)

Much appreciated. Take care.
Stallen

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.