Support for 120 dpi in VIsual Site...

User 436416 Photo

87 posts

robillard.jim@gmail.com wrote:
Adam:

Sorry for the theatrics, but I am pretty annoyed. I would have delt this with more gracefully if I didn't have so many people trying to tell me to rtfm after I had spent several days figuring this out and getting questions from potential customers asking why my website was so screwed up.

All I'm looking for is a simple answer so I can decide whether to wait for a fix from CC or rebuild my site with another program.

Not a fix but a temp. workaround that I use: after I created the HTML pages (via the Save option), and before uploading, I run a script that does a global search-and-replace for "font-size: xxPX" and change them to "font-size:XXEM" (or PT depending on your choice) so that font-scaling within a browser works.
User 469761 Photo

8 posts

Peter:

Thanks for the tip, but I don't want to have to edit HTML everytime I build the site.

I've done some reasearch into other <$100 packages and it looks like Serif's WebPlus and NetObjects Fusion handle 120 dpi just fine. Web Studio claims to have a java based patch, and SiteSpinner renders pages fine on the screen but printing is screwed up. Don't know about Kompressor/nVu.
User 436416 Photo

87 posts

Peter:

Thanks for the tip, but I don't want to have to edit HTML everytime I build the site.

I've done some reasearch into other <$100 packages and it looks like Serif's WebPlus and NetObjects Fusion handle 120 dpi just fine. Web Studio claims to have a java based patch, and SiteSpinner renders pages fine on the screen but printing is screwed up. Don't know about Kompressor/nVu.

I fully understand.

The issue, technically, isn't really "broken software" but lack in ability in using a different font size measurement, such as pt vs px vs em. The "fix" is simple, really: all CC has to do is to change from using px to em (I think this is the preferred?) and add a couple of Javascript lines to detect the screen size and set the overall font size. That is what my 'change' script do, along with some other changes.

(Added) Oh, I do have to check the generated HTML files manually anyways for spell checking, so running a script is not a big deal of overhead for me.
User 469761 Photo

8 posts

Peter:

I understand benefits of using a relative size for fonts, but I'm still confused about the implementation. All of the programs that product pages that render properly at 96 and 120 dpi use points to define the size at the UI, as does CC.

I think it's the browsers that assume the conversion from pt to pix at 96 dpi.

Even more confusing to me, when I look at the html for pages that seem to work I seem fonts defined using pt, but I can't wade through enough code to figure out why they work.

I also see the occasional glitch on professionally produced pages and some Google gadgets.

In any case, it looks like the fix for CC is relatively easy.
User 436416 Photo

87 posts

Peter:

I understand benefits of using a relative size for fonts, but I'm still confused about the implementation. All of the programs that product pages that render properly at 96 and 120 dpi use points to define the size at the UI, as does CC.

I think it's the browsers that assume the conversion from pt to pix at 96 dpi.

Even more confusing to me, when I look at the html for pages that seem to work I seem fonts defined using pt, but I can't wade through enough code to figure out why they work.

I also see the occasional glitch on professionally produced pages and some Google gadgets.

In any case, it looks like the fix for CC is relatively easy.

I "think" those UI may use pt etc in the UI but the backend changes something. For the sites that I have seen that 'works' with large DPIs don't use a fix size for tables (which VSD does use to control the text box sizes etc.); they tend to use percentages so it is allowed to 'grow' as needed.

I have seen sites broken (and think those were created using FrontPage) on large DPI screens. So its not just VSD.

I, too, just die waiting for a permanent fix ;)
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Unfortunately something like this is not as easy as it sounds to add. It would take a bit of work. We have some great things in the pipe for version 6.0 due out this summer. Once that gets complete, we can take a look at this again and see if we can figure out a solution.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.