Need help figuring out difference...

User 397688 Photo

25 posts

Hi,
I have several websites and use VSD. I thought I had this all figured out a long time ago, but I guess not. I just realized that some of the html code that is on the home page of my website, ex: mywebsite.com is different then the code at mywebsite.com/index.html, as per what I am seeing on the web on those pages.
I had thought these were the same page, but obviously not. And in vsd there is no page for just the .com, only the index page. Am I supposed to point one of the pages at the other somehow, and if so, how? I feel like I did this a year ago when I started the site but don't remember.
Thanks!
~M

oh and I am seeing this on *all* of my sites now, if that matters.
User 463058 Photo

Ambassador
1,076 posts

Well, I just looked at your www.yourvirtualadmins.com site to see what you might be talking about. It looks like you have both index.htm and index.html pages, and they are different from one another. Remove the one you don't want.

Servers will normally check for an index page called either index.htm or index.html to send when no file name is specified. You shouldn't have both.

As it is, your server gives priority to index.htm and sends it when only the domain name is given, but it will show index.html if you specifically ask for it.
User 397688 Photo

25 posts

ok, thanks :) Sounds about right!
Just out of curiosity, how did you know my site name? Actually that is one I don't even use anymore lol, but just curious anyway.....I don't see that I have any listed on my account here or anything?

ETA: fixed...thanks so much, what an easy fix, just deleted one file per site! :)
User 463058 Photo

Ambassador
1,076 posts

I couldn't tell what the problem might be before looking at a live page, so I was going to ask you to post a url until I noticed you had over 20 postings. I checked to see if any of them mentioned a site as you said this is happening with all of them.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.