Having Problems Installing VSD to...

User 458800 Photo

78 posts

Greetings!

I have tried installing VSD numerous times to my Windows 7 (64 bit) system, both version 5.9 (purchased) and Version 6.0 (trial), and I am receiving errors and crashes. Here's what happens:

1. The EULA agreement is affirmed and the partition and folder is chosen.
2. Files are copied normally
3. Warning box appears:

Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly
Error running F:\Program Files (x86)\CoffeeCup Software \CoffeeCup Visual Site Designer\reg.bat : 'C:\Users\namehere' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

4. I then select "ok" to dismiss that dialog box, and the Setup completes.
5. I check the "Do you want to launch CoffeeCup Visual Site Designer now?" box and click "FINISH".

Now a similar error box appears:

There has been an error.
Error running C:\Program Files (x86)\CoffeeCup Software /CoffeeCup Visual Site Designer/vsd.exe : 'C:\Users\namehere' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
The application will exit now

6. I click OK, and theat dialog box closes.
7. Just for grins, I went to the shortcut in my start menu and selected Visual Site Designer. It immediately crashes with these problem details:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: vsd.exe
Application Version: 6.0.0.15
Application Timestamp: 4a688047
Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Info:

* I run Windows 7 64 bit on a quad-core system. My old Vista (also 64 bit; where VSD 5.9 ran fine) system drive is unavailable; won't boot...so I can't fallback at the moment.

* I first tried installing my licensed version of VSD - 5.9. When that failed (with this very same problem), I decided to try the Version 6.0 trial to see if that worked. The same problem happened.

* I have attempted to run VSD in Administrator mode. It still fails with the same error.

* I have attempted to run VSD in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode. It still fails with the same error.

* I have attempted to run the VSD installer in Administrator mode. It still gets the above-noted registration entry error, and then VSD subsequently fails with the issue noted.

As I was typing this, it occurred to me that UAC is turned on on this machine. I shall turn it off and re-attempt the installation. I'll add that info in a few minutes.
Windows 11
Intel i9 (workstation) and i9 (laptop). Gobs of RAM and acres of SSD space on both machines.
User 458800 Photo

78 posts

Update: I shut UAC off and the installer error still occurs exactly as described above.
Windows 11
Intel i9 (workstation) and i9 (laptop). Gobs of RAM and acres of SSD space on both machines.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya BIF,

Have you tried turning off your virus protection and firewall to see if that might be what's getting in the way? That does happen at times to some people.

Be sure to backup your site files if you have them in your coffeecup vsd folders anywhere before doing the following:

As for your version, CC software is paid for life, so go to the top of the CC website here and click Get Support and then choose on the left the link for Orders & Downloads and download the most recent version there. Be sure to totally uninstall the version(s) you have right now so it's a clean install and once you have uninstalled them, check your program files to see if there's still a folder there and if so then delete it.

Now reinstall the program and see if it works. Post again please and let us know if the errors are still happening and if the same. GL :)
User 458800 Photo

78 posts

Hi Jo Ann:

I don't know why I didn't think about the AV issue. That's usually one of the first things I try.

I'll try disabling it when I get logged on that system later tonight, and I'll keep you posted.

By the way, awsome avatar you have there.
Windows 11
User 458800 Photo

78 posts

Hi, I'm back.

I had no problem getting my Version 6 installer from my downloads page, thanks for that reminder!

I checked on the AV, and there isn't any installed. You see, that system is so brand-newly built, I hadn't yet installed an antivirus package on it.

So this time I decided to boot, not into safe-mode, but with all startup options disabled. I then disabled Windows Firewall and Windows Defender and I proceeded with your uninstall instructions. I verified that the folder under program files(X86) was deleted by the uninstaller...and it was.

Next, I found the new installer on my hard drive, and changed the properties so that it would run in administrator mode and so that it would run in Windows/XP (SP3) compatiblity mode.

The installer still fails with the same message. As I was typing this, I thought of another test I can try, so I'll do that and post another update...back soon!
Windows 11
User 458800 Photo

78 posts

Okay, what I wanted to try was an install under Windows 7 Safe Mode; thinking that if there were ANY extraneous services preventing me from installing, it would not fail under Safe Mode, because only essential services are started in Safe Mode.

Well, no luck there. I get the exact same error when installing under Safe Mode.

I now strongly suspect that there is something different about my registry that the installer is not expecting to see...maybe a differently-named key or an unexpected value somewhere, because the installer always throws the error when it's in the registry update phase (just before it creates the shortcuts). But beyond that, I have no idea what it could be.

How shall we proceed next?

By the way, I was able to install VSD to a temporary emergency laptop and port my website over there. My site has been updated now so this is not flashing-red-light-emergency time.

With this extra breathing room, I'd be more than willing to work with a CoffeeCup technician one day this week or next to figure this out. It's got my curiosity up!
Windows 11
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya BIF,

I think you may want to open a ticket with Support if you haven't done so already. They may have the ability to even connect to your computer to see what might be wrong if that's a viable support option for you, but if not they do have great support if you open a ticket with them.

You can do so by clicking "Get Support" at the top of the screen here and going to your support room on the left menu of the next page.

If you do get this problem resolved, please be a dear and return here and post a reply telling us how it was fixed for future reference should someone else run into this issue too. Good luck on it, I do hope it gets resolved for you :)
User 458800 Photo

78 posts

Hi, Jo Ann:

I will open a ticket as you suggest. Connecting to my system is definitely an option if the support people are interested in that.

It will probably be on Friday, since that's the best day I'll be available during business hours.

Thanks, and I definitely will keep you posted!

P.S. Jo Ann, your website gets blocked by my corporate network because it has not been categorized. It's not because it's categorized as a risky or "bad" site...the problem is that it's not categorized at all.

I went through all this with my own home owner website. It was similarly blocked until I categorized it as a "community/civic" type of website.

You can self-categorize easily by visiting the Blue Coat website (just Google it). Note that categorization is not something you can do by inserting some special tags or code in your HTML; it's an externally-managed thing.
Windows 11
User 2144239 Photo

0 posts

Hello BIF,

One thing I can tell you right away is that our software is not supported on 64-bit systems. All of our software is supported under Windows 7, XP, and Vista 32-bit. However, many of our users are able to use the software with Windows 64-bit running in Windows XP Compatibility Mode. Follow these steps to set this up:

1. Right-click the program .exe file and select Properties .
2. Click the Compatibility tab.
3. Select the Run this program in compatibility mode for checkbox and select Windows XP .
4. Click OK .

Unfortunately, if that does not work. There's really nothing we can do to make it work since it wasn't designed to run on 64-bit anyway. At the moment we don't have any plans to offer our software on 64-bit systems.
User 414501 Photo

564 posts

BIF,

I had no problems running Coffee Cup VSD on 64 bit Windows 7 computer. But I can help you with this. Is your computer, by chance a Dell or Acer brand?

Either way, follow these steps.

First, uninstall your virus and firewall software. Re-start computer, THEN re-install CC and see if that works. Often times virus/spyware/firewall software prohibit important software files from installing correctly if the new software is installed while virus/spyware/firewall software is actively running.

You also may need to update the BIOS of your hard drive. Even if it's a brand new computer. Many times when people have problems with Windows 7 updating HD bios will fix it. That because Windows 7 requires a different BIOS configuration that Vista, in some cases. The hard drive manufactuers are on top of this issue, but the computers manufacturers sometimes are not. :-(

If you do not know how to do this, your hardware manufacturer will help you as long as your computer is still under warranty. If that does not work, let me know and I will take the next step with you.

As a very last resort, we may have to re-install Windows 7.

Chad
Chad Spillars
"Look I finally made myself a signature!"

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.