Files erased when uploading from...

User 2287485 Photo

90 posts

Thanks for the quick reply Steve! So, will the "new" piece of software have a wysiwyg element to it? Like VSD I suppose. I see the Responsive Layout Maker ads, but don't know a whole lot about it. Just wished VSD had a couple of those added features.
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

I'm curious...happens sometimes. I only have 1 computer so I can't test this myself. But, I wonder what would happen if you dropped those VSD files onto a usb and moved them to another computer, and then re-synced the website instead of 'publishing'? I wonder if it would still upload all files, or just check for the files and upload different files? Be interesting to find out. Hmm... :/
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Gunsmoke wrote:
I'm curious...happens sometimes. I only have 1 computer so I can't test this myself. But, I wonder what would happen if you dropped those VSD files onto a usb and moved them to another computer, and then re-synced the website instead of 'publishing'? I wonder if it would still upload all files, or just check for the files and upload different files? Be interesting to find out. Hmm... :/

It works great from a USB drive. Just make sure the drive letter is always the same. That is where VSD runs into problems when directory paths get changed.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2287485 Photo

90 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
Gunsmoke wrote:

It works great from a USB drive. Just make sure the drive letter is always the same. That is where VSD runs into problems when directory paths get changed.

I haven't had any problems publishing from a portable drive, it just re publishes everything like it was the first time ever so it takes a long time, especially on wifi. So, I currently have my website files on my pc on D:, however when I drag and drop everything to my portable hdd, it is on G:. Is this why it re publishes everything when I work from my laptop? Do I just need to rename the portable hdd D: and that's it??
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

That may work if what Scott said was correct. I was just curious what would happen if you re-synced the website rather than publishing.
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,088 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
Gunsmoke wrote:

Opps my bad, Sorry Scott.

Every time i tried to run it from my portable drive I had issues similar to what you are having. I never did create a support ticket about it I just assumed that it wasn't designed to work that way. Yea looking back now... My drive letters would change here and again because i have so many portable usb sticks and external drives hooked up and disconnect at different times.

So I guess what your saying is if I make sure the drive letter remains the same I should be able to update my websites from anywhere if they are loaded on the portable drive and the drive letter is the same? I will have to test this because I have a few clients that demand fairly timely changes to their websites. Right now I am using Remote Desktop software to remote on to my computer at home and make required changes.
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 219465 Photo

324 posts

I read through this post, and I too have had the same problem. I work my sites off a thumbdrive from home and work, when I publish from one, then the other, the second time it removes most of my files. I need to ftp them manually after. The drive letter is always the same and I tried re-sync but still does not work. SOLUTION.......5 more days til RLM????? :D
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Marc Nevue wrote:
I read through this post, and I too have had the same problem. I work my sites off a thumbdrive from home and work, when I publish from one, then the other, the second time it removes most of my files. I need to ftp them manually after. The drive letter is always the same and I tried re-sync but still does not work. SOLUTION.......5 more days til RLM????? :D

Just remember Marc, the RLM program doesn't finish the site for you like you can do in VSD, so you'll be hand coding a lot of content, images, etc. once the layout is created. Long as you are expecting that you should be good to go though as it's a pretty awesome piece of software. :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.