Emailing a VSD File - Post ID 6674

User 439790 Photo

Trial User
2 posts

I have created a website using VSD 5.5 for an associate of mine. The site is published and working properly.

The person I made the site for also owns the same version of VSD, and would like to edit the site from home. I emailed him the .vsd file and site folder (images, etc.), but when he attempts to open the file, it's all messed up.

What is the proper method for transferring a website from one computer to another?
User 166871 Photo

185 posts

The easiest way to have someone else edit a site made in VSD is for them to access and download the entire site from the server hosting the site. They then can edit and upload their changes back to the site.

One caveat is that with 2 people working on a site simultaneously the possibilty for "mucking it up" is great. Therefore, I encourage you to make a backup on your local machine before having the other person begin.

Hope this helps
Tom

BTW, log on and change your user name to something other than your email address so spammers cannot harvest your address...
Vista Tom

User 439790 Photo

Trial User
2 posts

Is that done within VSD? I don't see an option for downloading the site from the host.

After he gets it working from his computer, I will no longer be editing it on mine.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Dutch,

He will also need the vnu file from your computer. Even then, things may need to be in the same file structure.

If the file were built using an HTML Editor, then all that would be necessary would be to download the site to the local computer.
User 166871 Photo

185 posts

Dutch

Sorry I forgot your site was VSD... he needs to download the entire site using a FTP client(CC FTP is a good one)and then you can email him the VNU file from your computer, locating the vnu file in the directory just above the files downloaded from the site. The file structure must remain consistent for this to work.

Also, you can email him the files including the vnu file and have him locate them in the same file structure as they exist on your machine, but he is still going to have to ftp them to the host to make changes

For example;

c:\friends site\downloaded files\ "use this for the downloaded files"
c:\friends locate the site vnu file from you here

Once this is set up your friend should be able to make changes to the site and somewhat flawlessly upload them using the CC FTP client.

If it were me, I would try it myself in an alternate directory before I explain it to my friend...Hope this helps...sorry for any confusion I caused
tom
Vista Tom

User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

The latest versions of VSD (5.9.4 for sure) have helped with the ability of moving the files to another location. As mentioned above, the structure (paths to files) typically had to be exact or else VSD would not find the necessary files. Recent changes allow the files to be in another folder or drive, but I do believe they still need to be in the same relative path. So, the best thing to do is have all related files added to the VSD project from the same source, like C:\Project, for example. I did manage to copy the folder over to another computer and open it (even on the Desktop rather than in the C:\ path). Again, this was with 5.9.4. If you re-save your project with the upgraded version and the other person upgrades as well, that would be the best bet for a working plan. So much has improved since 5.5, I would recommend upgrading anyway.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.