Easy Reliable Site Backup VSD - Post...

User 484408 Photo

63 posts

I would like to see a complete backup routine for my web site. Cannot locate one in the software (perhaps I am not looking in the right area) or discussions on this. There are many backup programs but many of them are not optimized for particular programs. (Experienced this first hand)
Comments?
Jerry
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Jerry,

There is nothing that I know of built-in to VSD, but maybe it is not needed.

You have all your active pages on your website, and all those pages on your computer. VSD saves all the HTML pages in a folder on your computer named something like mysite_website. All you need to do is copy those files to another location (USB hard drive, USB flash stick, second hard drive in your computer, etc) and you will then have three copies (on the web, in the VSD files folder, and anywhere else you put one). I think you will also find that your host makes backups regularly.

Do you have a backup routine for your computer? If so, you should have a backup of your site in that backup.

I have a couple of flash sticks that I keep my site files and of course, I try to keep three computers synced with the sites.
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

If I may, it might even be worth while to upload the vnu file to the server as well, although I read the new update would have this in it.

User 464376 Photo

158 posts

Dear Sirs and Madams,

I see this forum is old but I will post my concern here hoping it finds the right response.

I want to back up my website in VSD to a USB flashdrive. When I do this the photos I have placed on the site are not their. I get the message "the selected pictures do not exist". Please help me do this properly and with very detailed step by step instructions. I am new to actually using this software of just a few days even though I have owned it for awhile. I have made tremendous progress and the platform is making sense. I think I am going to be a big fan of CC. One note I do not know how to write HTML code. That is why I ask for very detailed instructions.

Second question... I want to delete one of my pages. I click on the drop down "show page" and I see the page I want to delete and highlite it. At this point I am not sure what to do. If I click delete will the one page be deleted or will the entire site be deleted? It is for this reason that I want to back up this website in a few places beforehand just incase I mess up I will still have the files.

Thank you in Advance.
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

Daniel –
I would suggest you create a folder just for the photos you'll put on your site. Keep it with your other website folders (but not in the VSD Files folder that VSD creates). When you add a photo to your site, browse to that folder to get it.
I usually do this for every site; create one main folder: "My Web Site"
Then I save my VSD site to it, so within it I now have mysite.vnu and Files.
Then I add additional folders to the "My Web Site": graphics, photos, content, etc.

To put it on a jump drive, I only have to copy the main "My Web Site" folder. The entire site is there exactly like it is on the computer.

To delete a page, open it then you can click the delete button (white page with red x).
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 464376 Photo

158 posts

Paintbrush Hi,

Sorry I posted my question in two places but I couldn't locate this thread once I posted so I went to the Click to enlarge forum.

Here is where I am at. I actually have my pages constructed. I knew what I was building because this site was previously built in a template so I had conten,t all my images photo shopped and text of what I wanted to put in. Now I am getting to the technical parts and I keep reading both yours and Eric's post but I'm not that tech advanced. Create a folder? There is a file in my documents called j12 website. I did not create that it sort of created it itself. when I go to VSD to work on my site it comes up nicely and I work on it. But folders? I have never created a folder in my life. I just always kept things in my documents or split it out on to flash drives. So I need to start from step one with creating a folder. So...

1. how do I create a folder?
2. how do I get my website into the folder?
3. then I create another folder for my images and put them in?
4. where do these folders go on my computer?

I know these are so basic but if I can just go slow step by step I know it will make sense. The CC platform now makes sense where Yesterday I couldn't even get the text to work.

Paintbrush if this is something you can guide me through then i will go to the next step... "Click to Enlarge"

I am here and will wait to hear back.

Thank you
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

Maybe this will help:
http://callie.coffeecup.com/storage/file-folders.png

These are the folders within the main My Website folder. VSD created the first folder and the .vnu file (at the bottom). For the other folders, see the New Folder option – top right? Just click, it will add an empty folder, give it a name, then you can save to it (or drag/drop items into it).

As Eric mentioned, don't add things to the VSD-created folder. Just create your own for whatever needs to be included with your site, name them something that makes sense to you and keep them all together in one main folder.

So, don't add anything to the j12_website file/folder. Do you also see a .vnu file in My Documents (with the VSD logo on it)? These are what you want in your main website folder, plus the additional folders you create.
So when you want to find your site, you would go to:
My Documents > My Website > mysite.vnu (your site name here).

To add a photo, you would go to:
My Documents > My Website > my-pics (or whatever you name that folder)

Stay organised from the beginning and you won't have any missing photos/files when you move your site (jump drive, different computer, back-up storage).
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
User 464376 Photo

158 posts

Paintbrush I am so sorry but I am reading this and looking but I just don't find these things in my documents that you are talking about. Here is what I find.

In Documents Library is see CC software and under that is..
CC photo gallery Graphics HTML editor My Website Sounds Themes VSD site design
(this folder empty) (this has 20 backups in it
todays saved work)
Then I have a folder that says... J12 website_website in that folder are
1. files (these are all the images in my site)
2. then a folder for each of my pages when clicked on brings me to that page in VSD
3. Then a File that has the VSD logo and when click on brings me to VSD work page

Then in pictures I see all of my downloaded software which when clicked on brings me to a wizard for set up.

I don't see anything like the page snapshot shown in your previous post

What am I not doing or seeing. I was doing so well now I hit a wall. If you can help me to understand and move me through this it would be so appreciated. Thank you
User 464376 Photo

158 posts

Paintbrush I think it is starting to unravel

When I changed the view in documents from icons to lists what I was calling the VSD icon is the vsd file but it is not organized with any other files. Here is what I have...

Libraries>Documents>j12website_website and within this is the folder" files" (all my images) then each of my pages each of these files has a the blue internet explorer icon in front of them I don't see that in your snap shot. Is this wrong?

the VSD file is just somewhere all by itself in the middle of my documents folder

How do I get myself organized so it looks very neat and clear like in your snap shot in your previous post?

All of this sort of just happened on it's own I never set up any folders

When we get this organized please a step by step of how to keep myself organized and set up proper folders and get them all under one roof

I hope this is a little more clear and helpful then my last post

Thank you
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

The pic above is in Windows 7, but any version will have an option to add a new folder.
Sounds like you have program files mixed in with your documents.
Then in pictures I see all of my downloaded software
– in Pictures? :o
Are these .exe files? If so, once you install the software, you don't need them anymore. Especially not with your pictures. You can always go to your CC account and download your software again if you need to. And speaking of downloading... your software should go to Program files when you install it rather than Documents.

Do you have anyone there that could sit with you at your computer and help you get things sorted out?
We need to get all your photos in one place along with your site so VSD can find them.

Edit – I just saw you posted after I sent this one, will go read that.....

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.