Almost there.... but backward...

User 237417 Photo

16 posts

Hi Guys,

Got it all sorted out....Phew!!!!!

Here's the deal..... When you start a web site, make sure that every picture file that you plan on having on the web is copied to the files folder inside the "Website name" folder that VSD Creates when it creates the .vnu file upon your first "save".

Additionally this means that if you can Start off with a home page and just a few files, and then Save it, VSDS creates the .vnu file AND its corrresponding HTML and files folder of the same name as the .vnu file. For me keeping the file path readable means that I prefer to kep the project folder and files on the desktop.( not required)

After saving the beginnings of your first page, (here's the wisdom)... publish it to your Web hosting site provider. This will establish an "all systems go" type of scenario whereby, ....well,... we know that everybody is playing nice together.

Most important point being,....map all of your photos etc. from the "files" folder inside the corresponding CoffeCup folder that is named the same as that .vnu file when you first save your project.

Whatever you do, .... don't pull various pictures from various folders and subfolders on your drive(s). Otherwise you will have a mapping mess on your hands when you go to move from one computer to another,.... and I do mean a mess.

It took me over twenty hours and a lot of encouragement from Scott and others to keep on going and to remap the whole site to that one folder. But I finally figured it out. And now I can go to any computer I want to and take my .vnu and work on the site without getting all kinds of faulty reference and mapping errors.

So, start out doing it the right way by creating all of your mapped files from this one folder if possible. You will save yourself a mountain of time and frustration!

I had to kepp revising and remapping ,... then saving it as a new .vnu file and set of files, take it to another computer that that file hadn't been on before and open up the vnu file to see if it was still trying to pull various picture files from old mappings, then remap resave as a new file move it back to the other computer and do the same until all the extraneous files were identifiable on the hosting site and in CoffeeCup and slay each dragon individually and remap it to its properly adressed folder by its formal name( not a random number like it used to be(thanks to CoffeCup for this update))

So all is happy in the land of Web site development for me now!!

Again thanks to Scott and company for all of your help and encouragement. I am still employed. Hooray!! And I look smart again :o)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.