Accessing Photos without flash? -...

User 366415 Photo

21 posts

Hi all, I'm very new working with Visual Site Designer and am using the Designer Pack. I'm trying to put images on a page so that a person just clicks on a small image and a larger image appears. This is very common on sites, but I don't see it discussed on the VSD tutorials. Is there a way to do this in VSD rather than using a flash photo gallery?

Thanks,

PG

The Designer pack I have contains the following;
CoffeeCup Photo Gallery
CoffeeCup Web JukeBox
CoffeeCup Web Video Player
CoffeeCup Visual Site Designer
CoffeeCup Firestarter
CoffeeCup Image Mapper
CoffeeCup Flash Menu Builder
CoffeeCup GIF Animator
User 104702 Photo

293 posts

It's not possible. But here is a work-around.

You must make thumbnails of your photos first, for instance with this free software: http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm , but many other freeware software exist.

Then you place the thumbnails on the page where you want to show your photos with the picture tool of VSD.

After this you link each thumbnail to the original photo.

> Activate a thumbnail by clicking on it once (a blue border is shown) and then click on the 'link' option (the sevent button from the left at the top of the screen).

> The 'link window' pops up. You choose the 'docum.' option there and a new window opens where you can select the original photo.

> After this you click on the drop-down button of the 'target' option in the same link window and there you choose the option 'New Window (_blank)'. Doing so you open the original photo in a new browser window.

Now, when you preview your page, clicking on a thumbnail should open a new browser window showing the original photo. VSD takes care of the rest while saving and uploading: the original photo goes into a 'download' directory automatically.

Don't forget to be sure that the 'use link' option in this link window is flagged.

John
John van Hulst
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Nice tutorial. Far from "not possible," how about "less convenient?" ;)
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

You should check out the Lightbox javascript.

http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox/
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Tom,

Nice! I have a photo display that operates with mouseover. If you move the mouse over the thumbnail, the photo appears full-size, and when you move the mouse over a different thumbnail, the new photo shows up.
Thumbnail Viewer II.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Yes, that was a nice find. Dynamic Drive has lots of good stuff, as well. It's just a matter of knowing where to look or what to Google.

On a side note, I always leave the copyright headers intact. I figure these people have done me a good service so I will leave them in the code. No harm there as it does not display on the screen. Same thing with open source GNU applications.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.