linking website to shopping cart??? -...

User 2211905 Photo

21 posts

looks like my reply disappeared. I'm so tired that I'm not understanding this, so I'm going to rest and ask some questions tomorrow, because I really would like this to work.

Thanks for all your time.
I'll be back tomorrow
Donna:)
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Kathi,

If you want to see how a site can integrate you can take a look at my shop site. My site has only the main pages of the SCC shop and the rest are all created outside the program using HTML (in your case it would be using VSD). I added a menu using another program which I created to look like the menu inside the shop and I "think" I did a fairly good job of making the 2 sites look like they are both part of eachother. The main thing you will find that is different is that the Shop's menu is only containing the menu buttons for the shop pages and the external page menus contain the shop pages plus all the external pages. There isn't anything you can do about that, but truly it works pretty well together and with the Home button going to the main home page (external html page) on both parts of the site it works nicely and smoothly.

It's not been updated in quite a while so ignore the content as far as sale stuff, and it will be taken down in the near future, but it is a nice example of how well the 2 systems of the SCC programs and external pages can be combined into one really easy to navigate site :)

*Points to her sig for the link to Accessories of the World* :)
User 1944359 Photo

7 posts

Kathi,
are you talking about the Paypal BuyNow Button option? (where you show something on the VSD and have a button next to it that automagically allows them to buy it without going through a shopping cart?)
- if so, you can do this by logging into a paypal account: https://www.paypal.com/
- click on Merchant Services
- choose Buy Now Buttons.
-add any date you want
-click on Create Button Now.
-paste the code in your VSD website page

If this is not what you are talking about, I apologize and please disregard. I just got past that option in my quest to determine the best payment method. We went with a different method, but it apparently works.
User 1944359 Photo

7 posts

JoAnne,
I noticed on your http://accessoriesoftheworld.com site, your View Cart button linked to http://accessoriesoftheworld.com/shop/cart.php. What function causes SC to create the cart.php. I don't seem to have that file.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Well see the cart is a totally separate entity and creates a fully functional website all on it's own. Inside the program you can setup the Home page to actually go to any link you want, so in my case I set it to go to the external Home page that I created in the HTML Editor. The program creates all the PHP files you need for anything that has to do with the shop.
User 2211905 Photo

21 posts

Donna/Kathi, here again.

Okay, so what I am finally understanding is that CC Shopping Cart Creator Pro (SCCP) is not a shopping cart that can be integrated with a website, beyond the "Home" connection (from SCCP linked to your website), or beyond a simple button or link on your website that sends your customers to your shop. It does not allow for a button from your website that allows your customers to "add to cart" and still remain on your website. They have to be sent to your "Shop" to "add a product to the car."

SCCP is actually a shop with a shopping cart, so essentially you have two choices.

1) Send your customers from your website to your shop and hope they will return to your website to check it out further.

2) Or, ditch your current website and try to recreate it with Shopping Cart Designer and Shopping Cart Creator Pro.

It would be nice if Visual Site Designer and the shopping cart were integrated so that those of us who have built a site (or eight sites, as in my case) would not have to start from scratch. Eyes rolling back in head . . . smile.

So, do I finally have a clear picture?

Right now, I am doing as Tarie mentioned. I am using PayPal buttons to enable customers to buy product, but is is limited. I really need a shopping cart, just wish the SCCP actually made a shopping cart that would integrate with my site, rather than a separate shop with a cart that can connect with my site, but not integrate with it.

Also wish that this info was obvious on the page that sells this program. AND that the SCCP had clear info instructions on how to even direct people from your website to the shop. There is none. It took me hours to figure out that a simple button that linked to www.mywebsite.com/shop/ would do the trick.

Thanks everyone!
Donna (using friend Kathi's login)

User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

Kathi Register wrote:
1) Send your customers from your website to your shop and hope they will return to your website to check it out further.

Right now, I am doing as Tarie mentioned. I am using PayPal buttons to enable customers to buy product, but is is limited. I really need a shopping cart, just wish the SCCP actually made a shopping cart that would integrate with my site, rather than a separate shop with a cart that can connect with my site, but not integrate with it.

I might be mistaken (and I'm sure someone will point out if I am ;) ), but I thought that once the customer checks-out that they could be sent back to your web-site (much like with FormBuilder).

I'd rather shop on a cart like SCCP than using the B-I-N Buttons.
Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Well the one thing you missed in your explanation is that you can have the shop's Home button take you anywhere you like, so it's very likely that your customers would return to your site using the Home button on the shop.

The question here is, does it really matter? Since the shop is already fully contained, yes you do lose a bit of work with an already existing site, but just change the menus, alter the looks so they are similar and go with it. It's very convenient this way, and to be honest there aren't many other carts that you "integrate" into your existing site, almost all the cart options that are out there are similar setups to this, self contained and fully functional sites all on their own.

Sooooo, in the end this is cheaper (no monthly fees to use it) with a one time cost, never pay for upgrades (be sure you realize that the Basic and Pro versions are separate products and buy the one that you need, as the Pro version is not an "upgrade" from the Basic so you cannot pay the difference to upgrade, you'll have to pay full price so best to get the Pro version right off the bat.). Support is top of the line, and you can try it free before buying it to make sure it is what you expect it to be and want.

Give it a try and see if you like it. In the end I think you will, it's one of the very few softwares that you can actually install and use on your computer instead of doing online which is one of the features I love the best. In the end the choice is also yours so give it a shot and find out :)

EDIT: You get sent back to the shop site after purchase.
User 2211905 Photo

21 posts

Thanks Phil

At this point, I think I'm going to just send my customers to the Shop/shopping cart, and then spend the next few months rebuilding my sites as shops, with the use of the CC Shopping Cart Designer.

Seems like the only option.

Thanks again to all for your time and excellent input.
Donna
User 2211905 Photo

21 posts

Thanks JoAnn,

I think you are right. I just have to get over the fact that I have to start from scratch, and just buck up and do it. I think this will work the best in the end . . . so . . . off I go.

Thanks again, to all for their help.
Donna

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.