Suggestions for Shopping Cart Creator...

User 403397 Photo

33 posts

I found a site with a shopping cart that had a "Make an Offer" button. So I thought that I would note it here for you all to see.
From the web site this is how it works:
Make An Offer

Q. How does the Make An Offer button work?

A. The Make An Offer Button is allocated to products that might be slightly discounted from the recommended retail price. It gives the customer a chance to Haggle on the price and save a few dollars. The customer may continue to haggle until a price is accepted. Once a price is accepted you can no longer submit another offer. You will be directed to checkout or continue shopping. Happy Haggling.

Below is a link to the page with a "Make an Offer' button.

http://www.thetennisshop.com.au/tennis- … ade-V-Jun/

Not sure if its just a bit of a gimmic or realy worth doing.
Flying High.......
Too much caffeine.

User 2641572 Photo

1,245 posts

The programming logic behind the 'make an offer' button is relatively simple. You set a minimum offer price for that product, when the potential customer puts in their offer, it compares it to the minimum offer price and rejects the offer if it is below that. If it is equal or above the minimum offer price it overides the regular sale price and takes the offer price to the cart.

Whilst the programming logic isn't too difficult to code, I could see very few people wanting to run a business model where the customer has the direct opportunity to reduce the shop owners profit margin. :rolleyes:

On a practical level, an offer button like that, gives the impression that the retail price itself is just a gimmick, rather than the real price of the item. Most people that visit sites with the intention of purchasing, realistically want to know the actual price of the item.
User 562592 Photo

2,038 posts

I agree with Will. I am oftentimes having to sway clients away from gimmicks similar to this. I always end up telling them that the last thing you want to do is alienate a customer base.
The philosopher has not done philosophy until he has acted upon the mere conviction of his idea; for proof of the theory is in the act, not the idea.

My Web Development Company: http://www.innovatewebdevelopment.com (Created with Coffee Cup Software).

My Personal Website: http://www.EricSEnglish.com

User 389264 Photo

337 posts

That wouldn't be the same USPS that supplies tracking for its international parcel services, that never actually works would it? Two weeks later it still says 'we don't have any details for that package yet', even when said package is sitting on my doorstep in Europe.

My buyer emailed that she received the necklace, likes it and posted positive feedback. However, according to tracking the item was never logged into the system, go figure.
User 2641572 Photo

1,245 posts

USPS are currently shipping a rather expensive piece of machinery to me here in Europe. As always with them, the online tracking will show no results, even when it physically turns up here. I really don't know how anyone manages to run an International shipping business like that? :rolleyes:
User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

Sally Cooper wrote:
My buyer emailed that she received the necklace, likes it and posted positive feedback. However, according to tracking the item was never logged into the system, go figure.

Will wrote:
USPS are currently shipping a rather expensive piece of machinery to me here in Europe. As always with them, the online tracking will show no results, even when it physically turns up here. I really don't know how anyone manages to run an International shipping business like that? :rolleyes:

Sally - I've had packages shipped USPS that left, arrived at destination (in CONUS) and never got a status post. Even after a week after delivery no status posted...

Will - See comment above :rolleyes: It's Gov't Controlled, just like NASA (who else can continually operate in the red and stay in business), 'nough said?
Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 2641572 Photo

1,245 posts

Fortunately I got a letter from the UK based end of the delivery telling me item has arrived at their local depot and just needs import duties paying, which I've done online so the item will be here tomorrow. Of course the USPS tracking service isn't up to speed as they still aren't showing any movement records for it. :rolleyes:

Really can't believe you guys want a USPS module. Fed Ex or UPS yes... but....!!! :mad:
User 147665 Photo

Ambassador
712 posts

I read most of the posts in this thread but didn't see this..
It would be very cool to be able to shut off the warning message in the preferences when previewing. It really is annoying..
This is for previewing only. The shopping cart will not be functional.
After seeing it 20 times, I am looking for the disable check box...

User 2641572 Photo

1,245 posts

It's a difficult call on the preview message Dave. It's purpose was to stop folks previewing the shop and sending in support tickets saying they'd just built their shop and none of the functions were working. It also acts as an 'aide memoire' that its not the live shop they are looking at, but work in progress until it's uploaded, which is very handy for folks with bleary eyes first thing on a Monday morning. ;)

After about fifty or sixty times you'll never even notice it anymore.
User 147665 Photo

Ambassador
712 posts

@will_uk, I could see keeping it if it had some value on a live site(cart error message possibly). I finally opened up my theme in cart designer and reduced the cart message margin and padding to 0, made the text small, border 0, background transparent, and removed the warning_icon. Now it's a little easier on the eyes and doesn't misrepresent the page as much.
I am happy it doesn't show when using a localhost server
If this was open source software, I would have commented out the function in the code.
Still, It would be good to have control over it in the Help and Warning Dialog preferences.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.