General Questions - Page 4 - Post ID...

User 31219 Photo

58 posts

Hi Scott, It didn't like me renaming it I think. When I hit the export button I assumed it took it into Creator but now I find all you need to do is save it and it is working fine. Still finding my way around. With some help I will get there.! I am using registered pro version. Have now taken off the trial version. I was altering a theme when this happened but I think it is just a learning curve for me.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Glad to hear it's working Bob, have fun with it, it's a fun program to mess around with.

Have a great Holiday as I'm off in the morning for vacation. See ya after Thanksgiving and hopefully you'll have lots done that I can see when I get home :)
User 31219 Photo

58 posts

I really need some HELP. This is where I am at. Got the pictures in the program, Bought Designer Pro. Can't get icons onto the buttons in the cart and have tried every way possible. How do you link the buttons with " View cart" and how on earth do you test the cart out. I seem to be struggling with these funmentals and I haven't even got to the money side yet. If one can add icons in designer pro why the heck doesn't it take it over to the Cart creator when it is exported. only the Home icon appears.I even reloaded the program think it must be corrupted How does one get the pages linked. Does one need to work with the coding of this program. I know there will be some simple answers for all this but at this stage it is being a bit unfriendly or I must be pretty stupid so if there is some kind person out there please point out what might be wrong. I will try and find some tutorials to read too.
User 31219 Photo

58 posts

How many pages on a template can one alter using Cart Designer Pro?? Still not sure how this program works setting up the pages and buttons. Have always used Front Page for my sites.
I have the products working ok but would like to add more pages. Are the buttons and links done in html within the program??? Once I get this bit figured out I will be right. Any help out there PLEASE.:rolleyes:
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Bob,

I'm home from vacation now yaaaay, hopefully I can give you a bit of assistance here so you can stop pulling the few hairs on your avatar's head out hehe.

First let me spit out a little canned message that I saved from a while back that might help you to understand what part of your confusion stems from:

SCC vs. SCD

Using SSD will change the theme itself, not your shop in any way. It doesn't access your shop files at all only the themes. I would suggest if you plan to change a theme at all, that you rename it so you don't lose the stock theme that came with the SSD and that way if you mess something up you can always go back to the original and start over with trying to design it.

Once you get your theme all fixed up how you like it, save it with the new name and Export it to SCC, and then when you open SSC you will be able to choose that theme as your new theme for your shop. Your shop should still function as it always did, just will be different looking with the new theme.

One way to try to get your mind around the different programs is how I do it:

Shopping Cart Designer makes it pretty - All stock graphics and text. Shop Text cannot be changed here as this is only making a Theme not a Cart. Stock Items are just that, stock items as place holders for the most part. Basically all the content for the shop itself in here is just for looks to design around it, it is NOT actual items or settings for products. This allows you to make all your design changes without worrying about the content of the shop itself.

Shopping Cart Creator makes it work - Here you apply your theme, and now you make your shop changes such as Shop Name, Actual Items names, prices, extra pages, etc. This contains your actual Store.

Hope that helps on the situation that's confusing you between what program is supposed to do what :)

As for the question on the pages part. Page aren't added in the SCD they are added in the SCC. If you go to the "Your Shop" button at the top and in that window you'll see 3 tabs on the Your Shop section. The first one is for general information of your site. The second one is where you add extra pages for your site. You can add up to 5 pages I believe (or that might be have up to 5 pages hehe but I think it's add 5 extras). This area is where you tell it what homepage to use, either one you've created internally in the SCC program, or an external one you built in VSD or the HTML Editor.

You can add internal extra pages by hitting the Pages button at the top of the main SCC window. When you open that window you'll see 3 tabs at the left under the edit area. "Shop Home", "Categories" and "View Cart". Those are default pages that cannot be deleted, but you can alter them with HTML and such in this area. On the right hand side in the Basic Info area you'll see those same names listed in a box, and under that box is a green + sign where you can add more pages to your shop as well as edit them, add meta key words and descriptions.

Hope that helps on how to create them internally.

If you choose to create them externally, do keep in mind that you're unable to add all the page buttons to the shop area of your site (check out my shop and you'll see that only 4 buttons show up on the menu when you hit the Shop Home button, but 7 of them show up when you hit the Home button. That's because I have 4 pages outside my shop area, Home, Newsletters, About Us, and Contact Us.

You set your homepage location in the "Your Shop" area in the Pages tab at the bottom. You can either set it to your shop internal Home page, or you can put the URL to your external Home page in there. The Home button will show up in your Shop area even though it's external so people can get between all your pages pretty easily even though they don't all show up in the menu of the Shop section.

I hope that all makes sense, please let me know if something isn't clear enough and I'll try to explain it better.

I would also suggest you go through the PDF file that's built into the SCC and the SCD programs which are pretty good and lots of help there. They are the actual Help files when you press the Help link/buttons and instead of your normal search and find stuff it's quite a good setup of PDF manuals instead. Those may help you also. :)
User 31219 Photo

58 posts

Hi Jo Ann, Thank heaven you are home ! My problem is I have never worked with templates and WYSIWYG programes. I can see how SCD and SCC work. I have tried to change the template Classic Jass Left Nav. Now all I get is a button with HOME and I have 2 categories of product links in the page. They link ok and my products function ok too. The question is where are all the other pages in that Template and how the heck do you link pages in SCC. Do I do all the pages in Front Page or Dreamweaver and then link to the store and what does the Home button represent in the store. Why does SCD carry that one over to SCC and not the others and how do you attach icons to the buttons?? How do you develope the View Cart page and Category page if SCD only allows you to change 1 page. I am not getting this at all. I downloaded your code to see what you were doing in your shop but I don't understand enough about CSS. From what you were saying I should be working with pages externally from SCC. Why does the template not allow you to work with the other pages???? like Categories,Store Front, & View Cart ?:o
Ok can you start to walk me through this, Can you help me make anothe page within SCC like VIEW CART and attach an icon to the button??????:D
User 31219 Photo

58 posts

Still needing help, I have spent most of this Sunday trying to get my shop to work. I did the banner and logo and have everything working in the preview mode and My page linke ok on the web but no products show up under categories. The question is if it works ok in the preview why doesn't work when published.??? This is all I have showing and of courser this could change in the next hour but if you go to www.havelock.net.nz/boatstuff.htm you can see what I have. Show how the products aren't going up. It also shows an error when I publish from the program. I used Cute FTP for transporting the files up to the web. Can some give me some clues to look out for. Thanks in advance. Bob
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Bob wrote:
Still needing help, I have spent most of this Sunday trying to get my shop to work. I did the banner and logo and have everything working in the preview mode and My page linke ok on the web but no products show up under categories. The question is if it works ok in the preview why doesn't work when published.??? This is all I have showing and of courser this could change in the next hour but if you go to www.havelock.net.nz/boatstuff.htm you can see what I have. Show how the products aren't going up. It also shows an error when I publish from the program. I used Cute FTP for transporting the files up to the web. Can some give me some clues to look out for. Thanks in advance. Bob

If you have added categories and products to your shop, you probably clicked the globe icon so that these are not published. Go into each category and product and make sure that they are all published.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 31219 Photo

58 posts

Hi Scott,I have spent an entire day trying to sort this. Works ok in the preview. It could be something simple but I have taken it down and put it up a half dozen times.It fails to upload from within the program. I will attach a couple of screen shots for you as it might give you a clue in what I am doing wrong. I have checked the destination folder and all the files appear to be there.
Attachments:
User 31219 Photo

58 posts

Sorry about that i got 2 of the same. Here's the third
Attachments:

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.