Should Have Waited For Responsive...

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

lmao *flogs you with her granddaughters laundry basket!* :P
User 437417 Photo

10 posts

I just found this thread after messing with RLM and discovering that I will have a lot of learning to do if I want to get the newly purchased software to work. To be honest, I was expecting something like VSD too after reading all the hype. I will give it another try seeing that I paid for it but really do not think I have the time. I really think CC should have let us know RSD was on the way. Not too impressed at the moment...
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Charles McCormack wrote:
I just found this thread after messing with RLM and discovering that I will have a lot of learning to do if I want to get the newly purchased software to work. To be honest, I was expecting something like VSD too after reading all the hype. I will give it another try seeing that I paid for it but really do not think I have the time. I really think CC should have let us know RSD was on the way. Not too impressed at the moment...

Did you download the trial version first Charles before you made your purchase? Between the trial version, documentation and video tutorials, we have done a very good job of explaining what RLM does. Not too sure why you are not "impressed" though. RLM is AMAZING! :)

We cannot really say "RSD is on its way" because we don't have an ETA for that program as it is still in development.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 437417 Photo

10 posts

So, to try to make it AMAZING for me too, do I need the paid version of HTML editor or will the free version do everything I need?
User 188640 Photo

895 posts

Charles,

You really don't need to buy an HTML editor. You can use any text editor to work with your code.

However, you will have to 'hand code' everything your self. How much HTML do you know and how much testing time do you have.

The CC Editor is the best one I've ever seen.

Before you decide go take a look at all it does and the time it can save. :)
A Rose is Just a Weed in a Corn Patch!
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

To be honest, I was expecting something like VSD too after reading all the hype.

VSD is a visual drag and drop designer to build web sites. RLM lets you create a ' responsive layout' for a web site. Apples and oranges. I'm confused over the confusion ??

The CC Editor is the best one I've ever seen.
Before you decide go take a look at all it does and the time it can save.

Darn good advice! :cool:
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Charles McCormack wrote:
So, to try to make it AMAZING for me too, do I need the paid version of HTML editor or will the free version do everything I need?

To answer your question, the free version will do everything you need except upload/download files for you (provided they haven't added that feature back in as Scott had mentioned a while back that they were going to do... don't think it's been done yet though) so you'll want to grab the Free FTP program as well so you can upload and download your files easily too. Between those 2 programs you'll have everything you need to edit your layout once you've exported it from RLM. Good Luck and have fun with it! It's a great learning experience for sure!
User 458539 Photo

1,584 posts

Nobody has been a bigger pain -in-th-!@%$!$%! than I have with RLM (Ask Scott!). But have started getting the hang of it and used it on 3 or 4 client sites already (one of them 50+ pages). I have to tell you once the light turns on its really a great tool for site design. It has totally revamped the way I do business. Absolute positioning was great and still has a place (for a little while at least!) but the Coffee Cup guys are dialed in on the responsive side.

Stay with it - its worth it.

Byron
User 437417 Photo

10 posts

Thanks for your replies guys.
I have to do a website with a some images and a small bit of text, mainly a brief description and phone numbers.
I would like to have maybe 30 photos or less. I do not need an elaborate website. I have no coding experience. Can I import the site into HTML editor and then find the areas I need to edit, like adding images, preview it and upload it? Maybe its not as simple as that.
I would like to be able to simply change the images if need be later. Is that possible?
It does not look like CC Photo Gallery will work with this program.. Could i link to something like Picasaweb if I need to display a lot of photos?
I really do not have the time to learn coding at the moment but could learn from youtube videos.
I like shortcuts, that's why I bought VSD in the first place.
I own CC FTP already so I will give it all a try and let you know how I fare out..
Charlie
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

If you own VSD you own everything you need to make your web site. It will FTP the files to your server just fine. Pictures and all. The one thing you cannot do is 'import' an existing web site. You will have to re-create your web site from scratch. The good thing is, you won't need to do any coding ( unless you really want to, and have a use for it ). The down side is that VSD in not 'responsive' at all. Easy to create a web site with links to a 'picture page', but non-responsive.

First decision you need to make...do you want/need a 'responsive' web site? Do you expect a lot of traffic from users with cell phones and tablets? If so, you need to bite the bullet and use RLM to create your responsive layout, then do a little coding to add your content. Lots of help here on the forum. If the answer is no on the 'responsive', then I'd just use VSD and make a good looking web site and link it to your picture pages and be done. Lots of help here for that too. But you'll have to decide which direction you want to go in . . . :cool:
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.