HTML Editor 2008 - Uninstall

User 495203 Photo

7 posts

Hi,

Any suggestions on the backup of the Working Folder before I uninstall then reinstall. I have a lot of work in that folder and would like to make sure...

Thanks
~Wendy
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Wendy,

Just create a folder someplace and with it open, open your working folder. Click on one file, then press CTRL-A to select all files, then press CTRL-C to copy the highlighted files, and finally, click in the newly created folder, and press CTRL-V to paste all the copied files into the new folder.

There are other ways of doing the same thing, but this works for me.

Another option would be to use a flash drive, and drag the working folder to the flash drive. The action of dragging from one drive to another will be a copy function.
User 495203 Photo

7 posts

I did copy it to a flash drive and another place on my hard drive like you said but it seems that they're just regular html files. What happens to the editor portion of the save? In other words does HTML Editor convert both ways, code editor to html and/or html to code editor? Or do I need to save in a different format?

~Wendy
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Wendy,

The HTML Editor edits and saves HTML. You can also use it to edit your .css, .js, .php, etc files.

Think of the HTML Editor as a TEXT editor with colors and add-on features. You can actually edit these files using Notepad or any other text editor.

It is the Visual Site Editor program that has a special file that must be used with that program.

Hope this explains things, and if not let me know and I can ramble some more.
User 495203 Photo

7 posts

billr wrote:
The HTML Editor edits and saves HTML.
Think of the HTML Editor as a TEXT editor with colors and add-on features. You can actually edit these files using Notepad or any other text editor.

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to know!

~Wendy
User 495203 Photo

7 posts

I'm back with another question.

After backing up the files, uninstalling HTML Editor, rebooting, then reinstalling from the disk I purchased, everything is just as I left it. Even the date properties of the files haven't changed, the ones I didn't back up. Strange. :/
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Wendy,

Installed files frequently have the date the file was complied. What is the build of your HTML Editor? I currently have build 242 installed. My coffee.exe file has a date of 3/1/2008, but build 242 is a very recent build.
User 495203 Photo

7 posts

I have the 242 also.

But all my working folder pages are in there after uninstall and reinstalling the program, I didn't restore those files from the flash drive.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Wendy,

Typically, an uninstall will only remove the program files, leaving your data, documents, etc. in place. The purpose of backing up the data is to prevent loss of data should something happen during the uninstall. Manny programs will automatically backup your data during an upgrade.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.