CSS Menu will not center - Page 2 -...

User 492740 Photo

5 posts

Hi Jo Ann,

Many thanks for your swift response. You mean did I make a table inside a div as David Butler suggested?? No, I'm not that clever. I was hoping the CSS menu designer would do all the right things for me. The menu is saved as an msu format.

I see you are using an external menu maker. Is it appropriate to ask what it is?? Crazy I purchased a load of coffeecup suite programs and I'm having to look further afield to do a simple navigation menu to go with my html editor.

I've just been looking at Likno's all web menu maker ver 5. Is it ok to say this here?? Apologies if not. Can I ask does it matter what program one uses to create menus considering the format they save in?? i.e do they all have to save in a .mnu format to work with coffeecup??

Sorry to ask such nieve questions Jo Ann, but I see you are a regular on here with much experience I think. Oh yes can you say what menu maker you are using if it's ok :)

Maybe that's the route I'm going to have to take. I have to agree also that the inbuilt one in coffee cup does seem very very basic. Nice web site by the way with good working navigation menus haha!!

Keiron
User 476017 Photo

Ambassador
375 posts

Keiron Carroll wrote:
Hi Jo Ann,

Many thanks for your swift response. You mean did I make a table inside a div as David Butler suggested?? No, I'm not that clever. I was hoping the CSS menu designer would do all the right things for me. The menu is saved as an msu format.

I see you are using an external menu maker. Is it appropriate to ask what it is?? Crazy I purchased a load of coffeecup suite programs and I'm having to look further afield to do a simple navigation menu to go with my html editor.

I've just been looking at Likno's all web menu maker ver 5. Is it ok to say this here?? Apologies if not. Can I ask does it matter what program one uses to create menus considering the format they save in?? i.e do they all have to save in a .mnu format to work with coffeecup??

Sorry to ask such nieve questions Jo Ann, but I see you are a regular on here with much experience I think. Oh yes can you say what menu maker you are using if it's ok :)

Maybe that's the route I'm going to have to take. I have to agree also that the inbuilt one in coffee cup does seem very very basic. Nice web site by the way with good working navigation menus haha!!

Keiron

Hi Keiron CSS menu is still a bit basic and needs more enhancements. I have not had time to post my suggestions to CC yet. I use Likno at present for some websites but would like to move away and on to CSS menu . CC are very responsive to sugestions for enhancing their products. Let Scott know your having a problem with CSS menu. The more people who report faults the more likely to get them fixed. He may even know of a work round for you.
Dave Butler
Yorkshire
England

Old Rishworthians Rugby Union Football club http://www.orrufc.co.uk
Tuxedo Junction Yorkshire Function Band http://www.riley-tuxedojunction.co.uk
The Commons Guest House http://www.thecommons-guesthouse.co.uk
all created with Coffee Cup html editor
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

I use Likno Allwebmenus also, it's a great program, not cheap, and not free upgrades I'm sorry to say, but it's quite extensive as you can see by the menu on my sig site. The CC Flash Menumaker isn't that bad actually, the one outside of HTML Editor, it's not as comprehensive as the Likno one, but it's still ok if you want to try that one even.

I too am hoping more functionality will be added to the menu makers in CCHE and the FMM to give them more animation types like drop downs and such so I can stop paying for my Likno one, but until then I'll stick with that.

Having said all that, if you're using CC HTML Editor, a 1 cell table is very easy to do. On the toolbar you should see an icon that represents Table Items. Click the little drop down and choose the Quick Table, click in the first box only in the grid it shows you and that will create you a 1 cell table that gives the following code:

<table border="1" width="100%">
<tr><!-- Row 1 -->
<td></td><!-- Col 1 -->
</tr>
</table>

Copy the menu that you want to center in between the 2 tags <td> inserthere </td>
Add the code for centering to the table code so it looks like this:

<table valign="center" border="1" width="100%">
<tr><!-- Row 1 -->
<td>Note: menu goes here</td><!-- Col 1 -->
</tr>
</table>

that's it, put that code where you want your menu to show up and you're set to go.

Hope that helps :)

User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Try checking this page:

http://www.coffeecuphelp.com/broberson/ … -test.html

That shows two menus. The centering style is set in the head of the page for the centered menu.

User 476017 Photo

Ambassador
375 posts

Hi Scott
Some users including myself have had problems centering a menu with the html editor CSS menu maker.
Is it possible to made a modification as follows.
On the menu design screen provide a menu bar alignment option (centre, left etc)
If centre is selected it seems a bit of code is neded in the CSS along the lines
.centremenu {
margin-left:auto;
margin-right:auto;
width:800px;
}
and in the html just before the ul class statement it needs a div tag
eg

<div class="centremenur">
<ul class="test-menu">
<li class="first">

I am no expert coder Scott there may be a better solution.
Also I am not sure of the reason but you have to play around with the CSS
width:800px statement depending on the length of your menu bar.

It seems a small fix. Can you give it some consideration
tanks
Dave Butler
Yorkshire
England

Old Rishworthians Rugby Union Football club http://www.orrufc.co.uk
Tuxedo Junction Yorkshire Function Band http://www.riley-tuxedojunction.co.uk
The Commons Guest House http://www.thecommons-guesthouse.co.uk
all created with Coffee Cup html editor
User 492740 Photo

5 posts

I'd like to thank Both Jo Ann for her time and trouble and also to Bill and David. I tried both suggestions by Bill and Jo Ann and still my menus are left aligned despite coding as per each suggestion.

Ok no problem, I'm going to have a look at maybe the CC flash menu builder and start from scratch with my simple menu. It looks a little better than the one inside the HTML editor and about half the price of the very nice looking Likno allwebmenu product.

Lastly can I thank all of you for trying so hard and being so helpful to me, a beginner, you sure are all a credit to this helpful forum.

Keiron

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,461 posts

I have now looked back into some old mailing with Scott, from the time that this CSS menu was being tested, and he said this bit of code works:

<div style="width:800px; margin:0 auto;"> MENU HERE </div>

The width still has to be set so that it is matching the exact width of the menu for it to center properly.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Dave Butler wrote:
Hi Scott
Some users including myself have had problems centering a menu with the html editor CSS menu maker.
Is it possible to made a modification as follows.
On the menu design screen provide a menu bar alignment option (centre, left etc)
If centre is selected it seems a bit of code is neded in the CSS along the lines
.centremenu {
margin-left:auto;
margin-right:auto;
width:800px;
}
and in the html just before the ul class statement it needs a div tag
eg

<div class="centremenur">
<ul class="test-menu">
<li class="first">

I am no expert coder Scott there may be a better solution.
Also I am not sure of the reason but you have to play around with the CSS
width:800px statement depending on the length of your menu bar.

It seems a small fix. Can you give it some consideration
tanks

Eventually we will be offering additional options to the software.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Keiron,

If you post a link to a test page with the menu code, someone can look and likely get it centered for you.

Have you tried using the code that Scott posted?

<div style="width:800px; margin:0 auto;"> MENU HERE </div>

You may need to adjust the width of the div to match the width of your menu. If your menu is not very wide, try using:
<div style="width:500px; margin:0 auto;"> MENU HERE </div>

If you have the tools, you can measure the width of your menu, and use that as a start for the div code.
User 3004957 Photo

851 posts

Please post some code so we can see exactly what the problem is; trying to explain things can sometimes lead to us not hitting the nail on the head, so to speak.

Dave.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.