VSD 5.9.4 - Won't overwrite older...

User 436416 Photo

87 posts

devek wrote:
I can also tell you that in version 5.9.4 was the first time I saw the request to un-install the previous version before installing the new one. In the past it just flew by with the installation.

I can confirm this -- actually, I think it happens with 5.9.3 too and not prior versions.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

If your using an external FTP, then the files are being updated because those are what your uploading. Maybe the time/date stamp is incorrect, but the content is correct, so that is a good thing.

With 5.9.4 and higher we are forcing the uninstall now of older versions.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

I just tried it here, and all the time/date stamps updated without any problems.

http://upload.coffeecup.com/pics/before.png
http://upload.coffeecup.com/pics/after.png

The first image shows a time/date stamp of 8:11am and the second image has a time/date stamp of 8:12am
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Ok, very odd. It seems that if you already have an existing export folder, the files don't get updated. The solution that seems to work is simply renaming/deleting the existing project_website folder and a new one will be created upon the next Save. Why the old folder won't update and the new one does, I don't know.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Anyone having this issue, try deleting the files that are not updating and then re-save in vsd and see if things work from there on.
User 2130925 Photo

261 posts

Errr..What does all this mean? ;)

I just downloaded VSD 5.9.4 and it asked me if I wanted to remove my old VSD 5.9.2, and I said yes.

Then it asked me to re boot my P.C. , which I did.

VSD was not on my P.C. at all, so I went back to the CC website and re downloaded VSD 5.9.4 and now it is there.

Now I read that VSD may not be uploading only the changes, whether they be text or pictures seperately or together. I don't get this.

I remember posting about VSD making me upload ALL 9 of my videos from my Video Web Player page each time I only changed a few lines of text or a pic, and Scott told me it should not do that, but only upload the changed text or pic.

I am confused, lol. Please explain this simply for us newbies.

User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

perhaps it just did the uninstall of 5.9.2 before rebooting and hadn't yet installed 5.9.4.
User 454722 Photo

15 posts

I have been having trouble with making changes, seeing them correctly when reloading but when uploading using Ipswitch WS_FTP proffesional 2007 the time saved on my index files is wrong and not updated. This is very frustrating. Am I correct in saying that we now have to delete the index file before saving? seems risky to me. Will this issue be resolved? Secondly I am having a strange effect that when editing some text, if I use the a charecter it drops down to the line below in the middle of some already written text! Use other charecters and they go in the right place! HELP
gauisus opus per metal
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Mike, sounds like you haven't upgraded to 5.9.4. That release fixed the issue where there "a" key would jump to another line in the text.

As for the files not updating, delete/rename your _website export folder and save the project again. It should, from then on, correctly update that folder. That folder where you send your files w/ WS_FTP is just an export folder, VSD doesn't rely on those files for the project. So they'll be recreated if you delete it. If you're still unsure, just rename the folder so they're still available and VSD will re-create a new (& updated) set of files to upload.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

FilmHistorian wrote:
Errr..What does all this mean? ;)

I just downloaded VSD 5.9.4 and it asked me if I wanted to remove my old VSD 5.9.2, and I said yes.

Then it asked me to re boot my P.C. , which I did.

VSD was not on my P.C. at all, so I went back to the CC website and re downloaded VSD 5.9.4 and now it is there.

Now I read that VSD may not be uploading only the changes, whether they be text or pictures seperately or together. I don't get this.

I remember posting about VSD making me upload ALL 9 of my videos from my Video Web Player page each time I only changed a few lines of text or a pic, and Scott told me it should not do that, but only upload the changed text or pic.

I am confused, lol. Please explain this simply for us newbies.

I will bet that you first did not close VSD down before you ran the install.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.