VSD 5.9.4 How to make page width 100%...

User 457470 Photo

13 posts

I think the subject line makes it fairly clear. I have my website pretty much done except for page content. However I noticed since I made the site 1024X768 centered that the page can't adjust to my laptops higher screen resolution, nor my wifes. I know from playing with dreamweaver it is possible to set the frame width(s) to use a percentage value to compensate for display resolution issues. I believe VSD is using CSS so I am not sure how this may be accomplished?

Thanks for the help,

Mel
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,465 posts
Online Now

I have tested this and sorry, I don't think it will be possible. If someone else has actually managed to getthis to work,I would also be interested.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 457470 Photo

13 posts

Inger wrote:
I have tested this and sorry, I don't think it will be possible. If someone else has actually managed to getthis to work,I would also be interested.

Inger thank you for at least looking at it. I too am confused. Attempts at tech support said it would be 36hours if I left my name for a tech to call. I have a trouble ticket open. It should be simple I would think to edit the code and fix it.

SireCat
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

SireCat,

If you want a background that opens as wide as your monitor will allow, just edit the header and insert some style.

<style type="text/css">
body {
width:100%;
background-color:red;
}
</style>
Putting the above code will create a full width body, and color the background red.

Replace the red background code with

background-image:url('cloud.gif');

and if you have a cloud.gif file, it will repeat to completely cover the background of the body as far as your monitor will go.

Getting text to flow full width is likely not possible with VSD, and on a new wide-screen monitor, full width text would be difficult to read since your eyes would have to travel from one side of the screen to the other. That is why newspapers have columns.
User 457470 Photo

13 posts

billr wrote:
SireCat,

If you want a background that opens as wide as your monitor will allow, just edit the header and insert some style.

<style type="text/css">
body {
}
</style>
Putting the above code will create a full width body, and color the background red.

and if you have a cloud.gif file, it will repeat to completely cover the background of the body as far as your monitor will go.

Getting text to flow full width is likely not possible with VSD, and on a new wide-screen monitor, full width text would be difficult to read since your eyes would have to travel from one side of the screen to the other. That is why newspapers have columns.

Bill thank you very much! :-)
User 457470 Photo

13 posts

billr wrote:
SireCat,

<style type="text/css">
body {
}
</style>

Here is the response from support. It can't be done with VSD.

Unfortunately, Visual Site Designer cannot create pages that adjust to fill the browser screen (liquid layouts). You can enter a custom width/height setting to fill more of the screen, but keep in mind that anyone whose screen is smaller than your defined size will get a scrollbar (horizontal and/or vertical depending on what isn't viewable). You can center the design within the browser window so that any extra space is filled with the background color/image using the Page Window. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.