Files erased when uploading from...

User 493807 Photo

131 posts

Eric Rohloff wrote:
Don't copy do a "Save as" to the external source.

I may try that at some point, and I thank you for trying to help, but: 1. I don't see how that would work as the file path still isn't the same between both machines, 2. I don't want to have to remember to take that extra step just for one program, nor should I have too. 3. I may or may not have my USB drive with me when I need to make an update. Saving directly to the USB drive is not an option.

For now I found different web software that works the way I need it to, so I'll be checking other options.
When you speak - You repeat what you already know.
When you listen - You learn.
User 1861272 Photo

339 posts

After thinking about this for a while I believe this may be the answer to the problem. VSD looks for every picture, icon, file, etc. on the computer. However regardless if picture123 is there, if the computer is named Suzy then the file path will be C:/Suzy/Documents/CoffeeCup/picture123. However if the second computer is named Susan then the file path is C:/Susan/Documents/CoffeeCup/picture123. Does that not make the picture a different image in VSDs eyes?
In other words, both laptops would have to have the same user name, which is programmed in on first start up when installing Windows. Changing the name after Windows installation will not change the internal name of the computer.
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

What I do when I create a VSD site is create a specific folder for graphics under the save directory. This directory is NOT under the user name on the computer. ie. I create a folder c:\website\vsd\project\newwebsite
I then create a folder c:\website\vsd\project\newwebsite\graphics
I then put all graphics, icons, videos, whatever, in that graphics folder BEFORE I start building the site. If I need to add a graphic or icon after the build starts I move it to that folder before adding it to the VSD site.

This way, VSD will always look in that folder for the graphics it needs.

That said, I have not tried to update from another computer so I'm not sure this is a solution. But I would create that directory on a thumb drive, then create it on another computer and see if it works. Just a suggestion, but don't forget I'm still on drugs this week! :D
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,196 posts

Tim Banish Sr wrote:
After thinking about this for a while I believe this may be the answer to the problem. VSD looks for every picture, icon, file, etc. on the computer. However regardless if picture123 is there, if the computer is named Suzy then the file path will be C:/Suzy/Documents/CoffeeCup/picture123. However if the second computer is named Susan then the file path is C:/Susan/Documents/CoffeeCup/picture123. Does that not make the picture a different image in VSDs eyes?
In other words, both laptops would have to have the same user name, which is programmed in on first start up when installing Windows. Changing the name after Windows installation will not change the internal name of the computer.

Sounds familiar.:lol:
Eric Rohloff wrote:
The only way it will work if each computer is setup the exact same way with the way you are doing it. Same user and file locations. If you built a website and placed all the files you used on a flash drive before you added them and browsed to them on that when you did add them it should work. Also do a save as to the same flash drive.
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 493807 Photo

131 posts

Gunsmoke wrote:
What I do when I create a VSD site is create a specific folder for graphics under the save directory. This directory is NOT under the user name on the computer. ie. I create a folder c:\website\vsd\project\newwebsite
I then create a folder c:\website\vsd\project\newwebsite\graphics
I then put all graphics, icons, videos, whatever, in that graphics folder BEFORE I start building the site. If I need to add a graphic or icon after the build starts I move it to that folder before adding it to the VSD site.

This way, VSD will always look in that folder for the graphics it needs.

That said, I have not tried to update from another computer so I'm not sure this is a solution. But I would create that directory on a thumb drive, then create it on another computer and see if it works. Just a suggestion, but don't forget I'm still on drugs this week! :D

VSD already does this - It creates a folder within the project directory called "Files" and any images are copied there. So once again I ask - Why does it do this if it does not look for the images files in that folder?

Now you are suggesting I create yet another folder inside the project directory and copy all my files there first. So - that means I will have 3 copies of every image used, one in it's original location, one in my folder in the project directory and one that VSD copies to the files folder apparently for absolutely no reason what so ever. - Brilliant!

The web software I am now using does not have this issue, in fact I can turn it on or off. It will either upload the files from their original location, not making a copy of them for no reason, or I can have it copy them to a folder inside the project directory and upload them from there allowing me to port the project back and forth and update from either computer - just like any other software.

Thanks for your suggestions - but once again, saving to a flash drive is not an option.

EDIT
Not to mention that none of this address the fact that the index.html and image files are DELETED from the server when uploaded from a different computer.

User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

VSD already does this - It creates a folder within the project directory called "Files" and any images are copied there. So once again I ask - Why does it do this if it does not look for the images files in that folder?

VSD is not set up (don't ask me why) to look for images in the /files/ folder until the site is published. Graphics need to be added from another location. When you publish from VSD it will copy those images to the /files/ folder for uploading to the server. But if it cannot find the 'original' graphics in another folder then it will be deleted from the /files/ folder because that is simply the folder VSD is uploading to the server. The graphics I think must exist elsewhere, outside the /files/ folder. And that location must exist in the same place on each computer you are trying to update from. I don't have 2 computers to test this on, but it should work.
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 1861272 Photo

339 posts

Phoenix wrote:

EDIT
Not to mention that none of this address the fact that the index.html and image files are DELETED from the server when uploaded from a different computer.

Well, yes it does. Does your work computer have the same owner name as your home laptop? If not then that is the reason images are deleted. If you're uploading from your home laptop then VSD is looking for C:Phoenix/Documents/Picture123, but if your uploading from your work laptop then VSD is still looking for that same file. However on your work laptop the file would be C:WorkComputer/Documents/Picture123.
After uploading from a clients laptop where all the images were placed in the same folders for her site, copied from my computer, everything went haywire. Fixed those issues so the site uploaded fine from her laptop. When I tried an edit on the site from my computer later everything went haywire again. I would fix my files, then when she uploaded it would go nuts again. Fix her laptop and upload fine. Back to my computer and same issue. Finally figured out it's the different computer names/file extensions. VSD really needs to have sites uploaded from one computer only.
So, why can't you take your home laptop to work to update your site? That should solve the issue.
User 493807 Photo

131 posts

Tim Banish Sr wrote:

Well, yes it does. Does your work computer have the same owner name as your home laptop?

Actually, it does, yes.

If not then that is the reason images are deleted. If you're uploading from your home laptop then VSD is looking for C:Phoenix/Documents/Picture123, but if your uploading from your work laptop then VSD is still looking for that same file. However on your work laptop the file would be C:WorkComputer/Documents/Picture123.

But if it would look for the file that it copied to the Files folder within the project directory - this wouldn't be an issue. There is absolutely no reason that it must upload from the original location. Also, there is no reason to delete the file just because it can't find it. a simple "Delete missing files on upload" check box would suffice. The index.html file is not located anyplace else but the project directory - whats the reason for that being deleted? If it would simply overwrite the index and leave my pictures alone this wouldn't be an issue either as I only update times, locations, and dates (all text)
To top it off, it doesn't delete ALL the images. Some of them get left - Why? They all came from the same original location.

So, why can't you take your home laptop to work to update your site? That should solve the issue.

That would defeat the purposes of having 2 laptops now wouldn't it? I don't want to carry one back and forth day to day as I don't know exactly when I will update. I use a 1TB USB drive to store all my files, fits in my pocket. I use Allway Sync to copy all my files back and forth. I don't want the added step of saving VSD files directly to the flash drive - not to mention that those files won't be the same location from computer to computer either. I will need to make sure i plug it into the same USB port every time or it will get assigned a different drive letter. And as Stated - I may not have my drive with me when I need to make an update. And to through another monkey wrench into it, I have a 3rd Laptop I use for travel. (I won't even begin to talk about using the Cloud)

I understand everyone suggestion, and I thank you for it - It's just not acceptable for me and I don't expect CC to re-write the program just for my OSD ;)

User 2287485 Photo

90 posts

Tim Banish Sr wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

EDIT

Well, yes it does. Does your work computer have the same owner name as your home laptop? If not then that is the reason images are deleted. If you're uploading from your home laptop then VSD is looking for C:Phoenix/Documents/Picture123, but if your uploading from your work laptop then VSD is still looking for that same file. However on your work laptop the file would be C:WorkComputer/Documents/Picture123.
After uploading from a clients laptop where all the images were placed in the same folders for her site, copied from my computer, everything went haywire. Fixed those issues so the site uploaded fine from her laptop. When I tried an edit on the site from my computer later everything went haywire again. I would fix my files, then when she uploaded it would go nuts again. Fix her laptop and upload fine. Back to my computer and same issue. Finally figured out it's the different computer names/file extensions. VSD really needs to have sites uploaded from one computer only.

So that's why when I publish from my pc and save, then drag and drop the entire folder onto a portable harddrive so everything is copied exactly, then open that folder up on my laptop in another room in my house and load up the website in VSD to edit and publish, the program republishes everything like it was the first time ever.

I don't have any issues with the website coming out all different or wrong, or deleted files or anything. However, the laptop uploads every single pdf and file that is on the website like it was the first time being published, and takes over 30 minutes for just a small little text box or something to complete. I could never understand why when the files are exactly the same. I wish there was a single page publish.

I would gladly pay for an upgraded version of VSD if it could get an overhaul, like the html's new upgrade. I've really liked the functionality of the program, just having it republish everything from the beginning while on my laptop is a bit of a drag, and makes it difficult to travel and make edits.

Also to note, my pc and my laptop are two different names. However, the pc files are stored on an extra hard drive, not the drive that Windows is on (same principle I guess). And the laptop is working off a 1TB Western Digital portable hard drive.
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,091 posts

Hi David,

Unfortunately that's a minor flaw of VSD. For all the great things it does it was not designed to be run from multiple computers or a flash drive. And if you want a little more bad news, I doubt that VSD will get any more upgrades :(

But now for the good news. CC is working on a totally new piece of software that will function kind of like VSD except it will be 100% responsive. That means no matter what device is viewing it your website will look awesome!
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.