Easy Reliable Site Backup VSD - Page...

User 464376 Photo

158 posts

I have no one here to get this sorted out. I am literally in the middle of nowhere in upstate New York in the mountains. I came here specifically to do this. If I uninstall and reinstall would that wipe out the work I have done on the site. I am running windows 7 and have the tool bar as shown in the picture and I do see the new folders option. I would do anything to get this sorted out somehow tonight. If you have any suggestions I am all ears. If it means starting over to get it sorted I would do it. it would be painful but if that's what it takes that would be okay. Again any thoughts are greatly welcomed. And I thought I was doing so great.

Thank you
User 464376 Photo

158 posts

The files in pictures when I look in properties under type of file says application (.exe)
User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

daniel wrote:
has a the blue internet explorer icon in front of them I don't see that in your snap shot. Is this wrong?

The icon association will vary from one computer to another depending on which program is linked to which file type... For instance with a .html file one could choose from IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc... and whichever one is linked will show it's icon with those file types.
Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

then each of my pages each of these files has a the blue internet explorer icon in front of them I don't see that in your snap shot. Is this wrong?

That's fine. Those are your site's HTML pages (what you see on the internet). If I opened my _website folder, you would see them.

In the Files folder, you have all the images that are created in VSD. You don't put anything there, VSD does that to make sure it has everything it needs when you upload your site.

As for your actual photo files... If they're scattered all over the place when you insert them in VSD, then you try to take your site to a different computer, VSD can't find them anymore. That's why you need to gather them up in a folder that can "travel" with your site files. You'll need to delete the photos from your site and re-insert them once you have this sorted so VSD will reference them from the new photos folder.

So, what we're aiming for is:
1.My Documents
2.A new folder ("my site", for example) within My Documents to hold ALL your website files/folders
–Your j12website_website and your .vnu (VSD) file should be moved into this folder.
3.Add another new folder ("photos") and save all your pictures in it.
4.Add as many other folders as you want/need (I also have a folder for my original Photoshop files, for example).
5.Re-insert your photos by browsing to My Documents > my site > photos so VSD will be able to find them no matter where you put your site.

To put your site on a jump-drive, plug it in and open it. On your computer, open My Documents and drag/drop your "my site" folder into your jump-drive files.

I hope this is making sense for you :)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

Daniel, I learned the hard way. I used to be a 'file slob' :lol: stuff all over the place. When I got a new computer, I started clean with folders set up for everything so I wouldn't end up with an unmanageable mess again. What a relief!

So do what it takes now, and you'll be glad later as your site changes and grows ;)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
User 464893 Photo

Ambassador
1,611 posts

All the help here is valid but you have to take one step at a time.
1. You asked how do I create a folder well that requires you open My Computer(Windows Explorer)
2. Navigate to Hard drive(C) or Flash Drive double click to open and right click to get menu. At the bottom you will see new. Hover over that with the cursor and at the top of the next menu you will see Folder. Click on that and a new folder will be created ready to name whatever. The questions you ask are basic to Windows so if you have created a folder to back up your files you can take the next step-Find them.

Do some exploring. You mentioned Library That sounds like Win7. No files are actually in the Library but I believe their location is pointed to the folder they are in. I am still using XP and liking it.

Now my files are in two main positions and yours will be too.

There is a preview folder

Mine is C:\Documents and Settings\Terry\Local Settings\Temp\vsd_tmpdir
Yours will be simular
As was said above the website is saved to a folder that you can see by clicking on save as. You do not have to save but note the folder address.
Tip go to start run type notepad and copy that address into notepad. Then you can go to that address by copying and paste that into the My Computer address bar.

There is a backup as well C:\Documents and Settings\Terry\My Documents\CoffeeCup Software\Visual Site Designer\Backups
An example las.[Wednesday, December 28, 2011 18;01;02].vnu

This where mine are created and the time and date stamp of each. One is created I believe every time you preview the full site.

I am not sure of your Windows experience but if this is to basic I apologise but on the other hand if any of these steps are confusing let us know. We all had to learn it once.

If you can create folders you are ready to transfer your files to but remember if you previewed you already have a backup, it is the other documents like photos you need to make sure you have.

Ask away. There are no stupid questions just stupid answers
The Guy from OZ

User 464893 Photo

Ambassador
1,611 posts

Second question... I want to delete one of my pages. I click on the drop down "show page" and I see the page I want to delete and highlite it. At this point I am not sure what to do. If I click delete will the one page be deleted or will the entire site be deleted? I

Clicking on Delete brings up a warning and if you agree only that page is deleted. The good news is if you did a preview then that page will still exist in a backed up copy. If you ever wished to retrieve it

Ask the next question that has you stumped and you will get an answer
The Guy from OZ

User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

Prism wrote:
just stupid answers

Hey!!! I resemble that remark :lol::D
Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 464376 Photo

158 posts

This is making sense. I'm going to say it back to you as I understand it and tell me if it is correct
1. I make a folder and title it "my J12 site" in this folder I place the j12website_website file and the VSD
file. I'm assuming all of my new pages I create Using VSD fall under the j12website_website file
or the VSD file automatically as I create them in VSD. Am I correct on that?
2. I make another folder and title it photo images for all of my photos and put all of my images in this
folder before I start to put them on my site
3. Make new folders as I go for whatever else I may want to put on the sight

My questions:
1. How do I move files into a folder? drag and drop? cut and paste? How do I get them in?
2. When I create a new folder how do I get it under the same roof? Tell me if I'm getting this right the
main folder is going to be "my j12 site" so every time I make a new folder I have to follow the path
Documents>myj12site then create a new folder from the drop down "new folder"name it and it will
fall automatically under the main folder.
3. Can I delete the (.exe) files?

Paintbrush thank you. I think this can be salvage and I don't have re-install the software. I am going to give this a shot once I hear back from you. Hopefully it will fall into place. The VSD platform fell into place once you figure out the system it is beautiful. I still think there should be an easy way to do "click to enlarge" on a photo. it is such a common practice. A few people have told me a couple of ways but they a not simple. if you have a suggestion on that again i am all ears. WOW! thank you for all of your knowledge. I look for your next post before i begin.
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

To your first 3 items above; yes.
To your questions:
1. You can drag/drop or you can copy (highlight/select and Ctrl +C the file) then open the folder and click Ctrl + V to paste the file there. For new files (such as a photo, you can 'save as', give it a name and choose the folder to save it to.
2. Yes. Make sure you're in your "myj12site" folder, then the new folder will be created within that main folder. Or you can do as below; create the folder on your desk top – drag your photos into it then drag that folder (or copy/paste) into the myj12site folder.
3. Yes. Do you have a Recycle Bin on your desk top? Drag them there. If you're worried about throwing them away, you can create yet another folder :D
Go to a blank area on your desk top, right-click and choose New > Folder. Give it a name ("junk") and drag the .exe files onto it.

There are some pretty simple programs to open/display photos, but we need to get you up to speed with some basics here before you start in on that (they all involve saving files and creating folders :lol:).

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.