Couple of Questions - Page 1 - Post...

User 2276240 Photo

194 posts

I have a couple of questions for some of you experts on the VSD.
The first one is the most important one, and that is saving pages. I created a site for a friend and although it is up and running fine, the pages saved ( or what I thought) on my PC are not there.
I used a supplied theme and made changes to it. When I wanted to add a new page I would use the index page and then add the information I wanted for that page. When finished I saved that new page with a new name. As I said I did publish the complete site and it is working. How when I go to VSD and select Open and Existing Website, the only page that opens is the index page. I thought I followed the instruction for adding a new page.

Next question is there were a few places on the site that a bullet list was wanted, but I could not find a way to do that. Can that be done in VSD?
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,088 posts

I used a supplied theme and made changes to it. When I wanted to add a new page I would use the index page and then add the information I wanted for that page. When finished I saved that new page with a new name.

What you want to do here when you want to create a new page is click the Add Page button on the top toolbar

http://misterwebguy.com/errors/vsd1.PNG

Then enter your page Title and page Name and select Duplicate Page checkbox and select the page you want to duplicate from the dropdown.

http://misterwebguy.com/errors/vsd2.PNG

Next question is there were a few places on the site that a bullet list was wanted, but I could not find a way to do that. Can that be done in VSD?

For this you will need to do a little coding. Select the HTML element from the left hand toolbar and add it to your page where you would like to see the list to show. Then enter the following code for an unordered list. Change the names to what you want.

<ul>
<li>item one</li>
<li>item two</li>
<li>item three</li>
<li>item four</li>
</ul>

Hope this helps
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 2276240 Photo

194 posts

Thanks Steve, but I thought I was doing just that. I will go back and double check.

As for the bullet list, I thought that was the way to do it, and I should have tried it first.

One other issue, that I just noticed, Seeing this was the first time for using the VSD I add all the different browsers I have so I could check the site prior to publishing it. When I went back to look things over again, besides the pages missing, none of the browsers that I had were held. I had to redo it. It does appear the they are holding now however.

I am running Windows 8 and I understand it can be unstable at times and I am wondering if that could be an issue. Once I had all the pages saved and I closed them individually, when I closed the final page I did receive an error message saying the the program ( VSD) ran into an issue and had to close, or words something like that., but definitely and error message and VSD did close then.
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

The pages were not 'saved' because they were not 'added' to VSD. Whether or not that caused the issue at shut down I'm not sure. Follow Steve's advise above to properly add new pages.

As far as the browsers not saving, um, no idea. They should have saved but I don't use Win8. Do make sure you are running as 'Administrator'.
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,088 posts

I am running Windows 8 and I understand it can be unstable at times and I am wondering if that could be an issue. Once I had all the pages saved and I closed them individually, when I closed the final page I did receive an error message saying the the program ( VSD) ran into an issue and had to close, or words something like that., but definitely and error message and VSD did close then.

Oh no Jack, did you lose all your work when it error'd out?

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
User 2276240 Photo

194 posts

Everything except the index page. Now everything I did is published so I can if needed access from here to edit it if needed.

I started an new site of everything I did on my PC. What I have done is recreated the original index page. After it was completed and saved, I then went to Add a Page, in the Page Title box I typed Comments. In the Page ID I typed Page6 When I save it should it be saved as Comments or Page6?
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

The 'Page Title' is what is displayed on the title bar of the browser. The Page ID is what the page is saved as. So yes, your page will be called 'Page6'.
User 2276240 Photo

194 posts

OK. I am done with this. I can create the index page and it save fine. I then select Add a Page. I typed in the Page Title Comments, Then in the Page ID I typed in Page6 as that was what was ID when I selected Add a Page. I created the page select Save As and I type in Page6 hit Save and I get an error message saying The Changes Could Not Be Saved.

The path is Libraries/Documents/My Documents/Coffee Cup Software/Visual Site Designer/KingsCrystalAir

One last thing, I tried to save it earlier and the system crashed and I got a Windows Run Time Error and VSD closed. I restarted it and recreated the page and got the issue above. This is what I am running into. None of the pages beyond the index page are in the folder after I close the program. I was smart to publish the site before I closed the program earlier today. The site is at least up and running, but there is something wrong with the program on my system or I am still doing something wrong as far as creating new pages and save them, but based on what I have been told to do it appears that I am doing it properly.
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,088 posts

Sounds like you may be experiencing some computer issues there. I have run VSD for quite some time now with no issue. Are you running as administrator?

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

I then select Add a Page. I typed in the Page Title Comments, Then in the Page ID I typed in Page6 as that was what was ID when I selected Add a Page. I created the page select Save As and I type in Page6 hit Save and I get an error message saying The Changes Could Not Be Saved.

I think you're still going about this wrong.
You say you clicked 'Add Page'. That's good. You should have gotten a popup window asking for 'Page Title' and 'Page ID'. Both of these would have been filled out already. You type 'Comments' in the 'Page Title'. That's okay. You should not have had to type 'Page6' in the ID as you state that that was already there. Simply hit OK. Then modify your page. You say you created your page. Okay. Then you selected 'Save As' and typed in Page6. Please understand, that this DOES NOT save just page6. You cannot save just a single page in this way. What you attempted to do was re-name the website and save the entire website as 'Page6'. That is still okay if that was your intention.

Why it would not save and gave you that error could be several things. Not using Win8 I'm guessing here, but it could be a permissions problem, your not running as 'Admin', or you simply have a corrupted file.

My only advice would be to start from scratch with the original template and without modifying anything, 'Save As' to a blank directory and see if it will save. If it does, then make your modifications. If it does not, and you are running with Admin rights, then I would uninstall VSD and the themes and re-install all of it. Then try again.

The program is very stable and works for many many users. It's got to be something specific on your machine.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.