Have you ever received a "file not found" error message while uploading?
This error occurs when Visual Site Designer has found files which are saved in the website folder but are not currently being used within any pages of the website project. Visual Site Designer's Publish function will always find this once it compares your online pages with the pages in your local website folder. The error looks like this:
The reason for this occurring is most likely due to the improper removal of a previously used Flash object. When adding Flash objects to your site using Visual Site Designer, you will want to follow these steps:
- Create and save your project within its application — Form Builder/Photo Gallery/Juke Box/Video Player etc.
- Switch to Visual Site Designer.
- Open the page where you want the Flash object to appear.
- Click the Add Flash tool located in the left hand toolbar (the yellow lightning bolt icon) and click where you want the Flash object to display on the page. This opens a window that allows you to browse for the XML file saved from our other software.
- When you have found the file, select it and click Open.
When you want to delete an object, on the other hand, you will want to use the Remove Flash option. A Flash object always has more than one file associated with it, so you do not want to just click the object and press Delete to remove it. This may delete the HTML code of the object, but it will not delete the extra files associated with it. To properly delete all of the associated files, follow these steps:
- First, open your website project within Visual Site Designer and browse to the object you want to delete.
- Click the Flash object to highlight it.
- Now click the Object Properties button found on the top toolbar and click the Remove Flash button found in the window that appears. This will properly remove any and all previously associated files, preventing the error message you are receiving. If you use this method to add and remove Flash objects from Visual Site Designer, it'll seem like a piece of cake.
If you've already deleted an object incorrectly, you'll need to browse for these extra files by going to Edit > Remove Files. This will display a list populated by files which have been manually added to your site. You cannot browse for the name of the item that appeared in the error message and remove it once and for all.