If you are attempting to recover your website from your server because something has gone terribly wrong, here's what you can do.
This is if you've lost everything.
- Using an FTP program, connect to your server and and go to the "Backups" folder; you should see a chronological listing of your VNU files time/date stamped.
- You will need to download the file that you think is the most current one to your computer.
- After you download the file it will look something like this: MyWebsiteName.[Monday, January 24, 2011 10;10;35].vnu
- You will need to remove the .[Monday, January 24, 2011 10;10;35] part from the file name.
- Next you will need to download all HTML files and the "files" folder located in the same location on your server.
- After you download these files, create a folder on your computer and give it the same name as your VNU file (such as MyWebsiteName) with _website added to it. So the new name would be MyWebsiteName_website.
- Now just move all the HTML files and the "files" folder into it.
- Now when you open VSD it will state that it cannot locate the images for your site. Don't worry! You'll just need to use the browse feature and browse to the files folder you have downloaded.
If you have only deleted your VNU file, you can either recover it from your server using step one above, or you can recover it from the "Backups" folder on your computer. Here's where you can find this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\My Documents\CoffeeCup Software\Visual Site Designer\Backups
C:\Users\[USERNAME\Documents\CoffeeCup Software\Visual Site Designer\Backups
The filename will look something like this: MyWebsiteName.[Monday, January 24, 2011 10;10;35].vnu
You will need to remove the .[Monday, January 24, 2011 10;10;35] part from the file name and copy this VNU file to the location where your _website folder is located.