GoDaddy recently made some changes to their systems that affect the way FTP connections work with 3rd-party programs. When using Visual Site Designer or any other program that connects with FTP, you may experience random connection drops athat cause uploads to fail. If this is happening, here's what you need to do.
In these cases, GoDaddy appears to be allowing you to connect to their system initially, but after a few packets of data transfer, their security kicks in and checks the password that was just used. If the password is considered to be insufficiently strong, it drops the connection.
The process to fix this is pretty easy. What you need to do is just change your current FTP account password to something new and make sure it is a strong password. Here are the step by step instructions on how to set this up.
- Log into your GoDaddy Account.
- Go to the Web Hosting Management area.
- Click the "LAUNCH" button next to the hosting account you want to manage.
- Expand the Settings bar and click on "Manage FTP Users".
- Now locate the FTP user account you are currently using to connect over FTP and click the "Change Password" link. You must now enter a strong password. This should be a minimum of 8 characters consisting of at least 1 number and one upper case letter. See this article here on how to generate a Strong Password.
- After you have entered and confirmed your new password, click "UPDATE PASSWORD".
- Now go back to Visual Site Designer, go to Publish > FTP Account Settings, enter in your new FTP password for the appropriate account, and click Save.
You should now be able to publish to your GoDaddy server with Visual Site Designer without any further issues. Because GoDaddy is making other changes to their server, you may want to read this article on GoDaddy email issues.
Please note that GoDaddy only allows certain special characters to be used in passwords (This is from the GoDaddy website):
NOTE: Our shared hosting accounts do not allow the following symbols to be used in the password (second symbol is a space):
The following symbols are acceptable: