Switching from RSD to SD3 - Page 1 -...

User 188640 Photo

895 posts

It's been a while since I've been in the forum and contrary to what anyone heard I am alive and well.

I have a site built in RSD and I am making some changes for the owner. I want to upgrade it to SD3 but I'm not sure which framework to use.

The site doesn't actually have menu's, just button links on the index page. It's for a restaurant and they like what I did to bring them into this century.

I've used both Foundation and Bootstrap but I'm not sure what the other choices are since I'm just starting with SD3.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.
A Rose is Just a Weed in a Corn Patch!
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

It depends on which framework you were using when you built the site. If you used RSD1.x, you may have built the site in Coffeegrinder, and in that case you will be asked which framework you want to convert it to. If you reckon that you will need a lot of help and advice, I'd go for Foundation, since most people here are using it. But if you are adventurous and want to 'boldly go where no man has gone before', then you could try Vanilla or Materialize. ;)
In case you will be converting from RSD2.x, you need to continue with whichever framework you have used before.

Whatever you choose, there will be a conversion procedure to go through. You are likely to have too many container units - rows and columns - and one of them is usually too much. Some people here have decided that it is easier to build from scratch than convert from older versions. Especially if you have used subgrids, I think it's easier to recreate.

Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Ernie Hodge wrote:
It's been a while since I've been in the forum and contrary to what anyone heard I am alive and well.

I have a site built in RSD and I am making some changes for the owner. I want to upgrade it to SD3 but I'm not sure which framework to use.

The site doesn't actually have menu's, just button links on the index page. It's for a restaurant and they like what I did to bring them into this century.

I've used both Foundation and Bootstrap but I'm not sure what the other choices are since I'm just starting with SD3.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

You also need to ask yourself why what are you intending doing with the layout that's going to be different
Unless you are wanting to make the pages a bit more unusual, or more complicated layout, then you won't really need the CSS Grid, Browsers like Chrome/Opera/ Firefox etc, recognize flexing & display it no problem to users, & will probably do so for decades yet to come.
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 188640 Photo

895 posts

Inger,

Yes it's built with RSD2.5 and the (old ancient) Coffeegrinder framework. :-)
I did try and convert it to Foundation and what a mess. It would be easier to rebuild the site.

Wayan,

The only thing the owner wants is some pictures added to the index page but she has three pictures.
Two wouldn't be a problem but three are being a pain to align correctly and look good all the way from mobile to desktop.

I guess I'll have to look for the correct solution in the forum.

Thanks everyone for your input,

Ernie
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

Flex positioning springs to mind...

Let us see the site, maybe we can come up with some suggestions.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 188640 Photo

895 posts

Here's the live site: http://catfishjohnnysrestaurant.com/

The big picture is going to be replaced with three pictures that actually show the dining area in the restaurant.

The big picture is their party barn and people think the restaurant is that big, don't call ahead and show up with 12 to 14 people without reservations.

I was thinking flex as well but I haven't used that very much. I'll have to brush up on that.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

How about a slide show? check out the Carousel (Bootstrap) or Orbit (Foundation) in my sharing library (URL in signature).
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 188640 Photo

895 posts

I will check that out. The only thing is it would still be a rebuild because it's in the RSD2.5 format. I'm trying to save a little time right now.
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Ernie Hodge wrote:
I will check that out. The only thing is it would still be a rebuild because it's in the RSD2.5 format. I'm trying to save a little time right now.

You don't need sdv3 to put images in be it in a slideshow/carousel or just simple flexing.RSD v2.5 will do it just as good.
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 188640 Photo

895 posts

Do we have a tutorial somewhere on flex?

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.