Resolution for different Monitors -...

User 51909 Photo

3,694 posts

Eskil - I think you are right, being creative, having new fresh ideas is often hardest. I often find myself thinking "that would be a great thing to try", so I jot it down on a notepad, draw a picture of what I want, then have a play in an editor.

Often just visiting other peoples sites is eneough to get those creative juices flowing for me. I have to say that one of the best, but simple sites I have seen was one that Janys did for a Book Company. Very simple idea and pretty easy to do. That was a creative site that gave me several ideas, and from that came several other ideas.

Mark
Mark Loves CoffeeCup
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Thomas Greenlee wrote:
OK :) Thank you Kim

Thomas,
I am anxious to know how you got on with all this..........??!
Janys ;(
User 155008 Photo

62 posts

Hi Janys,

Well, Nothing seemed to work. Last night I created a 3x3 table and layed out my site using the table. Again it's perfect on my computer.....I'm not sure how it looks on a widescreen. A couple people with widescreen told me they went to my site and it looks real good, but I'm not sure if that was before or after I updated it using the table. It looks much better now on my wifes widescreen but still is not quite right.....but it's much better than before I used the table. I'm going to re-do page 2 and page 3 using a table....I'll probably start that tonight after work.
If you want to go to my site now that I've redone it with a table and tell me how it looks to you, I would appreciate it. Also let me know if the audio intro that plays when the page loads, works and the demo on the demo page.....the demo doesn't play on my wifes machoine, but does play on everyone elses that has checked. Thank you Janys.....if the home page doesn't look quite right to you, maybe you could offer an explanation why it wouldn't look right when I used a table to hold everything together.
"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us. They can't get away this time."

Chesty Puller, Colonel, USMC
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Thomas Greenlee wrote:
Hi Janys,

Well, Nothing seemed to work. Last night I created a 3x3 table and layed out my site using the table. Again it's perfect on my computer.....I'm not sure how it looks on a widescreen. A couple people with widescreen told me they went to my site and it looks real good, but I'm not sure if that was before or after I updated it using the table. It looks much better now on my wifes widescreen but still is not quite right.....but it's much better than before I used the table. I'm going to re-do page 2 and page 3 using a table....I'll probably start that tonight after work.
If you want to go to my site now that I've redone it with a table and tell me how it looks to you, I would appreciate it. Also let me know if the audio intro that plays when the page loads, works and the demo on the demo page.....the demo doesn't play on my wifes machoine, but does play on everyone elses that has checked. Thank you Janys.....if the home page doesn't look quite right to you, maybe you could offer an explanation why it wouldn't look right when I used a table to hold everything together.

Thomas,
I have a hot pizza waiting for me...........I will be back to take a look in about half an hour.
see you soon.........
Janys :)
User 155008 Photo

62 posts

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe you didn't offer to share......oh sure! you're free to offer help with web pages, but when it comes to sharing your pizza, do you even offer? NOOOOOOOOOO! hahahahahaha Just teasing you Janys....enjoy the pizza! See you after you have horded all your pizza to yourself! :D
"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us. They can't get away this time."

User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Thomas Greenlee wrote:
YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe you didn't offer to share......oh sure! you're free to offer help with web pages, but when it comes to sharing your pizza, do you even offer? NOOOOOOOOOO! hahahahahaha Just teasing you Janys....enjoy the pizza! See you after you have horded all your pizza to yourself! :D

I am actually waiting for some CC folks to turn up in this neck of the woods at some time to go take a coffee or a pizza together. I did suggest the second CC Convention should take place here..............!!
Anyway, I am back and will take a look at your pages. Be back soon.......
:)
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Ok,
Now - general appearance on my 1024 x 768 resolution is good.
I would go to your contact info page and move the (Anytime) down a line by just adding a <br> just in front of that word in the code. If it seems too close to the previous line, make that 2 <br> instead of one.
I can hear the voice-over both in the opening page, and also in the demos without any trouble. It is obvious that if someone has a slower connection that any kind of sound file will slow down everything else during the download. This could explain why your wife is unable to hear them.
I seriously suggest that you change your screen resolution to see how it all looks on a 800 x 600. Whether we like it or not, there are still people using that resolution.......... you will just right click on your desk top screen and be able to change the screen properties from the little pop-up window which appears.
Useful always to look at your page in other browsers also..........Firefox, Opera etc. to see how your page behaves.
Generally speaking it would seem that you have the overall effect that you were looking for. I have very little to add to what Kim has already done .......... so unless you want some drastic changes, you would seem to be set up just right. Well done, and keep experimenting with new ideas.
Ciao ( I will see if there is a piece of cold pizza left for you..........!)
;)
User 155008 Photo

62 posts

Thank You Janys. Why do you suggest dropping the Anytime down a line? I don't know what it looked like to you, but was it in parens right after the email address with only 1 or 2 spaces separating it from the email address? Also I will try it at 800 x 600. I have tested it with Firefox and it looks just the same as on IE, which on my machine is perfect. Thanks for checking it out for me. I'm still waiting for you to stop hording the pizza and give me a piece! ;p

User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Thomas Greenlee wrote:
Thank You Janys. Why do you suggest dropping the Anytime down a line? I don't know what it looked like to you, but was it in parens right after the email address with only 1 or 2 spaces separating it from the email address? Also I will try it at 800 x 600. I have tested it with Firefox and it looks just the same as on IE, which on my machine is perfect. Thanks for checking it out for me. I'm still waiting for you to stop hording the pizza and give me a piece! ;p

The only reason I suggest the drop down a line, is because of the different font colour.....just a woman's thing about tidying up the odd bits!!
But it really is nothing to do with the alignment or anything like that........... just a Janysism!!!!
Ciao,
Janys

ps. One other point - try setting your font size in the browser to maximum and see how everything looks.....if your tables are all in order, nothing drastic should happen. Large fonts can sometimes move things out of line, but tables usually control that.
User 155008 Photo

62 posts

Oh Geez.....I tried setting the browser font to maximum and it threw alot of stuff off. I set my screen resolution to 800 x 600 and it threw everything off......I do not even want to think about what I have to do fix that......sigh

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.