Resolution for different Monitors -...

User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Thomas Greenlee wrote:
Oh Geez.....I tried setting the browser font to maximum and it threw alot of stuff off. I set my screen resolution to 800 x 600 and it threw everything off......I do not even want to think about what I have to do fix that......sigh

Tom,
Do you want to think about that, or do you prefer to ignore it!!
I only ask because I can offer some help if you want to address the issue!!
I shall go look at that myself to see what the 800 x 600 does.....and then come back.
J :)
User 155008 Photo

62 posts

NO...I don't want to ignore it...I actually want to fix it, but man oh man
how many different ways can I have problems? This is ridiculous....I get it perfect one way and it's not right on widescreen...I pretty much fix it so that widescreen does relatively ok and find out if you've got your browser set for a larger font it throws everything off.....or if you use the lesser resolution it throws everything off.....sigh
"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us. They can't get away this time."

Chesty Puller, Colonel, USMC
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Thomas Greenlee wrote:
NO...I don't want to ignore it...I actually want to fix it, but man oh man
how many different ways can I have problems? This is ridiculous....I get it perfect one way and it's not right on widescreen...I pretty much fix it so that widescreen does relatively ok and find out if you've got your browser set for a larger font it throws everything off.....or if you use the lesser resolution it throws everything off.....sigh

That's the spirit.........I have just taken out the source code from your page, and will see if I can quickly get something together to straighten this out a bit. What you will see is that most of what we do is a major compromise which offers us "middle of the road" solutions!
I work with html, but there are others out there using css and other scripts to do things.
What I will give you will work nicely with tables.......
Let's go for it!
Ciao for awhile......
Janys :)
User 155008 Photo

62 posts

OK....I'm glad you're so enthusiastic.....let it rub off on me! hahahaha
By the way, I read your post where you said you've been in Italy for the last 34 years....indicating you haven't always lived there? I thought you were a nice Italian girl helping me out....hahahahaha.....Why did you move to Italy? Did you marry someone from there? I lived in Italy for about 6 months while in the military......in the Naples area....I believe it was called Cappocuchino? We just called the area Cappo for short. Loved it there.
"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us. They can't get away this time."

User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Thomas Greenlee wrote:
By the way, I read your post where you said you've been in Italy for the last 34 years....indicating you haven't always lived there? I thought you were a nice Italian girl helping me out....hahahahaha.....Why did you move to Italy? Did you marry someone from there? I lived in Italy for about 6 months while in the military......in the Naples area....I believe it was called Cappocuchino? We just called the area Cappo for short. Loved it there.

Thomas,
I have tried to clean up your code a bit to make it happy (or happier) in both 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768.
Obviously there are a couple of files I had no access to so they are not showing up in my version of your page.
You can see my results on www.janwyse.com/tom.html
I have made the right hand purple text just a size smaller to avoid the distortion in the 800 x 600.
Go into the source code from your browser and copy it all.
Please note too that your wavefile image names are slightly different in my page - right click to see what I have called them to get rid of the spaces in the names.
Bye for now..........
Janys

p.s. I have only worked on the front page..........compare the original code with the new code I have done.........you will see that there is actually a lot less of it.
When you want to choose a font........just add in the size and colour between the same brackets instead of having them all separate.
Don't bother to put valign in your lines <tr> but just in the cells.
You will note I have left a couple of empty cells between the used ones. That is just to provide some "elasticity" when a table is 100% so that the fixed sized cells will spread across the page without blocking right up against the left - they will go across the full width.
Bit difficult to explain that one........I'll tell you over the pizza some time!
Bye........give a shout if there are still hiccoughs to be sorted.
Janys :)
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Thomas Greenlee wrote:

I decided I loved Italy and wanted to stay (Venice) long before I met my husband...........he was just a good way of making it official!! Teasing.......I like him pretty well too (married 24 years now.......)
Bye for now, Tom,
Janys ;)
User 155008 Photo

62 posts

Thank you Janys! I have implemented your code for the main page....added a counter and added the returns before "Anytime" on the contact page.....added a return to main page link on the contact page as well. Changed the Title on the page2.html to Tom Greenlee Demo Page and changed the title of page 3 to Tom Greenlee Contact Information. If you want to go check it all out, I think it all looks really good. Thank you very very much.....feel free to email me anytime at
tomgreenlee@voice-of-choice.com I would love to stay in touch.

User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Thomas Greenlee wrote:
Thank you Janys! I have implemented your code for the main page....added a counter and added the returns before "Anytime" on the contact page.....added a return to main page link on the contact page as well. Changed the Title on the page2.html to Tom Greenlee Demo Page and changed the title of page 3 to Tom Greenlee Contact Information. If you want to go check it all out, I think it all looks really good. Thank you very very much.....feel free to email me anytime at
tomgreenlee@voice-of-choice.com I would love to stay in touch.

Tom,
I haven't looked yet, but I have an extra suggestion anyway.....if at any time you have a block of text, such as that on the main page over to the right (the list), a good idea is to turn it into an image so that it won't be changed by browser settings etc.
I will take a look and add a p.s. here........
Bye for now,
Take care,
Janys

p.s. It will jiggle a bit between pages if you don't add this line (that I put in front page) into all pages........

<body bgcolor="#000000" text="#3366ff" link="#0000ff" vlink="#ff00ff" background="" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0">

You will notice that I have put you a topmargin="0" and a leftmargin="0" to keep everything abutted as far as possible to top and side. You will obviously have to remove the original <body> line
I agree that it all looks pretty good now....you can give yourself a pat on the back for this one, and think of other interesting things to add into your site!
User 155008 Photo

62 posts

Thanks Janys.....I don't know why I should give MYSELF a pat on the back for this one. You're the one that did it, not me. So, I'm giving YOU a pat on the back for this one. Good Job! I'll add that code to the other pages tonight.

User 51909 Photo

3,694 posts

Tom, Just how long are your arms? I hope they stretch pretty long!!!!

Mark
Mark Loves CoffeeCup

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.