hpw do I upload my web page if I'm...

User 171912 Photo

Trial User
4 posts

Cox provides a maximum of 10mB of space free to there subscribers and I wanted to use it. I've tried to publish my web page but continually receive an error message stating that I miss spelled my user name or password. I have checked and rechecked my information and it is correct, does anyone know how to perform this function?

Thank you,

Steve
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

monser5528@hotmail.com wrote:
Cox provides a maximum of 10mB of space free to there subscribers and I wanted to use it. I've tried to publish my web page but continually receive an error message stating that I miss spelled my user name or password. I have checked and rechecked my information and it is correct, does anyone know how to perform this function?

Thank you,

Steve

Hi Steve,
I just went to look at cox net and obviously, without signing in, I am unable to access any useful information. I don't know anything about their services, but do know that for my own isp I have to use my username@internetserviceprovider.net
Is it possible that you have to do something similar yourself in order to upload?
As it happens, I am having exactly the same problem trying to upload some stuff for friends who have left me all the user and pass information, but it's getting me nowhere.
How is the firewall setting? passive mode? Try changing that and see if you can get in. Have you got the right port open? It is usually 21 by default, but that may not be right for you.
What about proxy settings? Have you got them set up when you should/shouldn't have them?
Sorry I can't be more specific, but I don't know Cox so am unsure if there are other considerations on this.
Let's hope someone else uses them and can come to your rescue.
Janys
User 171912 Photo

Trial User
4 posts

Thank you for the suggestions. The port is set to 21 and I am using zonelabs firewall through a router. The message I receive is that I am misspelling either the user name or password. I have tried every possible way of typing in the user name with the same results. Frustrating that I spent so much time building a webpage, and am unable to upload it.

Thank you again,
Steve
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Thank you for the suggestions. The port is set to 21 and I am using zonelabs firewall through a router. The message I receive is that I am misspelling either the user name or password. I have tried every possible way of typing in the user name with the same results. Frustrating that I spent so much time building a webpage, and am unable to upload it.

Thank you again,
Steve

Another thought...........should you be using upper or lower case (and you are using the wrong one)?
That error message probably covers a variety of sins, but is not necessarily exactly a misspelling..........
J ;(
User 51909 Photo

3,694 posts

Thank you,

Steve

OK, you may think me stupid for asking this, but have you activated your web space from Cox yet? If you have bot activated it, then nothing will work. If you have not done this, then go to http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/asp/co … direct.asp

Mark
Mark Loves CoffeeCup
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Good one, Mark. Didn't think about that. The link doesn't work for me, but yeah, it has to be activated first. I'm copying and pasting a big chunk from a support page about activation & FTP login info:
--
When uploading to your Personal WebSpace, first verify that your Personal WebSpace has been activated. If you are unsure about this, follow these steps:

1. Go to Manage My Account then click Personal WebSpace next choose Activate Personal WebSpace
2. Type your Primary Email address (this is the first email address you received when you signed up for the High Speed Internet Service)
3. Type the password for this user name (This is the same password you use when you download your email. If you do not remember your password, call Cox High Speed Internet Technical Support.)
4. Click Submit.
5. Click Personal Web Pages.
6. Click Activate Now next to the User Name you want to activate Personal WebSpace for.
7. Click OK.

Your Personal WebSpace for this username has now been activated. This process can take up to an hour to complete. After WebSpace pages are created, they are viewable at this URL (substitute your own Cox High Speed Internet account name for username): http://members.cox.net/username/

You can upload and download from your web space using an FTP client. Use the following settings:

* Host name: members.cox.net
* Username: username
* Password: your password
--
Hope that helps. If all is correct & activated, I'd recommend disabling your firewall just to see if you can connect.
User 171912 Photo

Trial User
4 posts

Thanx Adam and Mark,

Yes my site has been activated and I can access it through my browser by typing: http://members.cox.net/got-it. This takes me to my blank website awaiting construction/uploading. I just tried disabling my firewall with no success, good thought! Am I stupid, I have been asuming that the password should be my cox password, not my coffeecup password, is that correct? Inside of my "internet connection" window I type the following:
FTP server: members.cox.net
username: got-it
password: *************
www.folder: I have left blank as I do not know what this is.

Each time I try, I receive the misspelled username/password message.

Thankx again,
Steve
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

got-it@cox.net wrote:
Thanx Adam and Mark,

Yes my site has been activated and I can access it through my browser by typing: http://members.cox.net/got-it. This takes me to my blank website awaiting construction/uploading. I just tried disabling my firewall with no success, good thought! Am I stupid, I have been asuming that the password should be my cox password, not my coffeecup password, is that correct? Inside of my "internet connection" window I type the following:
FTP server: members.cox.net
username: got-it
password: *************
www.folder: I have left blank as I do not know what this is.

Each time I try, I receive the misspelled username/password message.

Thankx again,
Steve

Steve,
Try getting an ftp program and upload everything through that (even a trial version). Have you got something........
Try the CoffeeCup Direct if you don't already know it.
For the server I would normally put in my actual web address, which in my case would read:
www.janwyse.com
Have you tried that?
Janys
User 11165 Photo

4,316 posts

Thank you,

Steve

Steve, I read all the post relating to your problem. It seems that you have done everything right. It could be on Cox-Internet's end. I would call their tech support and get them to help you. My brother has Cox-internet access in his area, and they seem to be very helpful.
Darce Jean
User 171912 Photo

Trial User
4 posts

Thank you all,

You have been very helpful, I have just one more question. Does anyone know how to change the information in the "internet connection" dialog box? That is the box that opens the first time you try and send/publish a webpage. I need to change the WWW.Folder as I mistyped it.

Thank you,
Steve
:)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.