WEbsite Access Manager Question.... -...

User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

No prob! I knew it took time for the access control to kick in, but an hour? In my case it was more like less than five minutes. Still, good that it's working for you! It had to come down to the server, because all the CC software does is give you a very nice interface for creating the needed files. Once those files are in place everything is up to the server. If you were willing to undertake the hassle, and had shell access to your account, you could even set up the protection from the command prompt.

I always find it useful to have a bit of understanding of what's going on behind the scenes. In that vein you might be interested in a little article about how people set this up manually:

http://www.cs.dal.ca/studentservices/fa … cess.shtml

Again, there's no beating doing it the CC way, though! Much less headache! Take it from a recent convert.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinland.biz
User 1890616 Photo

2 posts

I have a near identical problem to the one above by TMI2009. I've just purchased the CC software and am attempting to password protect just one page on my existing website, before I venture further. Everything seems OK except I can never get the password to authenticate. I get the Authentication box at the correct page link but can never get in.
Problem link given below>
http://members.iinet.net.au/~swedd/fami … ytree.html
Go to this link, then select the top hot link, enter swedd with password swedd. If you succeed please let me know!

Here is the .htpasswd file that is on the server.
#User Password File - 17/04/2009 10:56:38
Administrator:$1$sa$NHiMpMkLiM.8AuKX1qWAe0
swedd:$1$sa$NHiMpMkLiM.8AuKX1qWAe0
It is sitting in the same directory on the server as my base home page, which is one level above the folder and files for the page needing authentication.

The .htaccess file is sitting one level lower in the same folder as the html file for the page requiring authentication

#### CC BEGIN WEBSITE ACCESS MANAGER ####
AuthUserFile /u/sites/iinet.net.au//.htpasswd
AuthName "Members Only"
AuthType Basic

# Access Restriction:
Require user Administrator swedd
order deny,allow

#### CC END WEBSITE ACCESS MANAGER ####

I'm on a home system using local wireless in the home but no messages come up about firewalls etc.
Any help or pointers would be appreciatated

Thanks
User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

I'm far from expert on debugging the content of the password and access files, but I can verify that I was unable to log into that part of the site using the id and password you gave. What I can offer is I've used WAM to protect several folders on my own websites and it's been working properly. Don't take this wrong, but is it possible there's a typo in your id or password, maybe a capitalization issue, or that you don't have the passwords applied to the folders you think you do? It sounds like you understand that WAM cannot protect files, only folders, because that's how the .htaccess system works.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinland.biz
User 1890616 Photo

2 posts

Thanks for your response Spinny. Still no luck. I've double checked and reset passwords, even restructured some of the folders and links on the web page to be more logical - after your comment re files and folders. I've also tried resetting password lengths and trailing numbers. But as always I can never get throught the gateway.
I'll study the CC pdf a bit more to see if there are any setup issues I've missed then talk to my ISP I think. Cheers
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Boomer, email me your hdb file to scott@coffeecup.com and I can take a look here. Also make sure your server does not have Front Page extensions turned out. That will conflict with htaccess
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.