A-Drive / Hosting Discussion - Page 2...

User 192897 Photo

325 posts

:(
Jo Ann wrote:
haha only if you're talking about using the old commodore 64's or TI's lol omg now I really am dating myself! :P

Yes you are dating yourself Jo Ann and your right about the comode 64 but in my case it was the TRASH 80 and Atari 800....i feel old :(
There is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress. MARK TWAIN

www.juliekushner.com
www.beercoastermania.com
www.phi-scsc.com
User 476017 Photo

Ambassador
375 posts

george barone wrote:
I feel left out on the S-Drive discussion so i am starting my own A Drive thread.

Anyone even have an A-Drive anymore?

Those disks made great lifters to balance a table or chair. Can't do that with a CD or DVD, takes too many of them. Even more difficult is doing it with a Flash Drive. I say bring back the A-Drives!!

yep Still have a desktop with an A drive and a B drive for those 5" floppies. I hardly use it now though.
But anyone remember working on tabulator machines 16K memory, no disk no tape just 80 column punch cards and the old IBM card sorter.
Dave Butler
Yorkshire
England

Old Rishworthians Rugby Union Football club http://www.orrufc.co.uk
Tuxedo Junction Yorkshire Function Band http://www.riley-tuxedojunction.co.uk
The Commons Guest House http://www.thecommons-guesthouse.co.uk
all created with Coffee Cup html editor
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

ohh Dave now you're dating yourself even before my time! LOL, I heard "about" them but never saw or used one.
User 192897 Photo

325 posts

Dave Butler wrote:
george barone wrote:
I feel left out on the S-Drive discussion so i am starting my own A Drive thread.

Anyone even have an A-Drive anymore?

Those disks made great lifters to balance a table or chair. Can't do that with a CD or DVD, takes too many of them. Even more difficult is doing it with a Flash Drive. I say bring back the A-Drives!!

yep Still have a desktop with an A drive and a B drive for those 5" floppies. I hardly use it now though.
But anyone remember working on tabulator machines 16K memory, no disk no tape just 80 column punch cards and the old IBM card sorter.

Hey Dave you mean like the IBM-360 or 1432 computers? I was a fast keypuncher!! Love to shuffle the deck on others
There is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress. MARK TWAIN

www.juliekushner.com
www.beercoastermania.com
www.phi-scsc.com
User 133269 Photo

2,900 posts

Dave Butler wrote:

Yep - right before we upgraded to an IBM mainframe running RPG and 9inch floppies - no more dropping the stack on the floor and getting the cards in the wrong order :D just a huge stack of disks that got loaded in cartridges and slotted in the little door in the room sized puter.

Boy am i glad i dont need to program in RPG anymore :rolleyes:
Have fun
~ Fe Pixie ~
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Punch cards???

You people are soooooo old. Better go sit down and put the feet up. :)
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 2000538 Photo

1,392 posts

I remember when...... But not saying what or you will know how old I am :lol:
I know you believe you understand what you think I said...but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not exactly what I meant.

User 133269 Photo

2,900 posts

oh tassie - a slate is not a puter ok? :lol:
Have fun
~ Fe Pixie ~
User 2083079 Photo

28 posts

I always have my abacus within easy reach.
User 92156 Photo

272 posts

The Joker wrote:
Punch cards??? You people are soooooo old. Better go sit down and put the feet up. :)
Sure we will, but you first, old fella !!!! :D:D:lol:

My 1st computer was a Sinclair ZX80 with a whopping 4kb of RAM, inbuilt Basic, B&W TV as a display, and a seperately-purchased cassette player/recorder to handle the "sophisticated" programs I used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX80

Before that I had started to assemble bits & pieces to build my own computer (4-bit processer) from an electronics magazine article, then along came the ZX80 - I was in heaven!
When I bought the RAM expansion pack, a whopping 16kB yes you read correctly it was all of 16kB, I nearly wet myself!*

Since then I progressed through a series of computers, from the Tandy TRS-80 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80 through various IBM compatibles & finally to my current machine which is chirping** at me as I type on it now.
I played with the Apple II (didn't like the display) and early Macintoshes (nice) at the local Uni but they were outside my price range.

* Now I'm at the age where soon I won't be needed a computer to wet myself.
** I thought I'd cured that by removing & reinsterting the 2 hard discs, looks like it's back to the repair shop again. (sigh)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.