Sitemapper is only spidering a small...

User 2006133 Photo

1 post

"Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed."

Why am I getting this error message?
I tried creating a sitemap and found that half my site is not being listed.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Gavin Conolly wrote:
"Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed."

Why am I getting this error message?
I tried creating a sitemap and found that half my site is not being listed.

I looked in my magic 8 ball but it would not tell what your Website address is. ;)

Can you post that for us so we can take a look?
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 562592 Photo

2,038 posts

Sitemap will only pick up text links. I would double check your links to make sure they are all proper text links.
The philosopher has not done philosophy until he has acted upon the mere conviction of his idea; for proof of the theory is in the act, not the idea.

My Web Development Company: http://www.innovatewebdevelopment.com (Created with Coffee Cup Software).

My Personal Website: http://www.EricSEnglish.com

User 522589 Photo

2 posts

Sitemapper spiders my site well but shows different info to the HTML vs. the XML sitemaps. The HTML is reasonable needing only a small manual cleanup. The XML however shows only the first 4 links to a 20+ page site.

Had similar issues with previous versions of Sitemapper when tested on this and dozens of other site. I really like the idea of this program and would buy it immediately if I could get this to work.

J.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Jayme Cousins wrote:
Sitemapper spiders my site well but shows different info to the HTML vs. the XML sitemaps. The HTML is reasonable needing only a small manual cleanup. The XML however shows only the first 4 links to a 20+ page site.

Had similar issues with previous versions of Sitemapper when tested on this and dozens of other site. I really like the idea of this program and would buy it immediately if I could get this to work.

J.

In the trial version only the first 5 links will be displayed in the XML. When you purchase the software, this limitation will be removed.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 522589 Photo

2 posts

Very helpful Scott! I appreciate the timely and informative response.

For the others on the board, Scott was kind enough to pass along a full copy of the XML file generated by Sitemapper for one of the sites I had tested. The information there looks good and I'm well pleased... and on my way to purchase. :)

J.
User 1907890 Photo

54 posts

OK, I only see one link in all of my websites when using the demo. I have a javascript menu along with duplicate text links for each menu item on each page.

I am using Dreamweaver and a template for each site that already has the menu and the text links for each page.

I tried all sites and only one link shows up.

I posted in another thread and was advised to look at this thread.

Bottom line, I am reluctant to purchase in the "hope" that it will work on my websites.

Perhaps this won't work with websites based on a template.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Albert Brizendine wrote:
OK, I only see one link in all of my websites when using the demo. I have a javascript menu along with duplicate text links for each menu item on each page.

I am using Dreamweaver and a template for each site that already has the menu and the text links for each page.

I tried all sites and only one link shows up.

I posted in another thread and was advised to look at this thread.

Bottom line, I am reluctant to purchase in the "hope" that it will work on my websites.

Perhaps this won't work with websites based on a template.

Sitemapper scans your Website in the same way as the spiders from popular search engines such as Google, Yahoo!, and Bing. This means that it does not follow links in JavaScript, DHTML, or Flash files. Here's why: Search engine spiders can only follow HTML.

Let's use Flash as an example. A Flash-based Webpage is pretty and interactive when a human looks at it, but when a search engine spider tries to scan it, all it sees is an <embed> tag. It can't go into the Flash animation to find the links, so it skips past the page, and your site doesn't get a good ranking. Simple as that.

So what's the solution? Use HTML for all your links and navigation. If you want your site to rank well in search engine results, to work correctly on all browsers, and to be accessible to people with disabilities, you have to structure your site with semantically valid HTML and add CSS and JavaScript using the principles of progressive enhancement. For more information about this über-important facet of Web design, read this fabulous article at A List Apart.

User 1907890 Photo

54 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
[quote=Albert Brizendine]OK, I only see one link in all of my websites when using the demo. I have a javascript menu along with duplicate text links for each menu item on each page.

Sitemapper scans your Website in the same way as the spiders from popular search engines such as Google, Yahoo!, and Bing. This means that it does not follow links in JavaScript, DHTML, or Flash files. Here's why: Search engine spiders can only follow HTML.

Let's use Flash as an example. A Flash-based Webpage is pretty and interactive when a human looks at it, but when a search engine spider tries to scan it, all it sees is an <embed> tag. It can't go into the Flash animation to find the links, so it skips past the page, and your site doesn't get a good ranking. Simple as that.

So what's the solution? Use HTML for all your links and navigation. If you want your site to rank well in search engine results, to work correctly on all browsers, and to be accessible to people with disabilities, you have to structure your site with semantically valid HTML and add CSS and JavaScript using the principles of progressive enhancement. For more information about this über-important facet of Web design, read this fabulous article at A List Apart.

If you noticed above, I also have simple text links on every page duplicating the javascript menu. I did this for the search engines.
An example of one of my text links: <a href="../index.html" class="redlink">Home</a>
Again, these are in the template and duplicated one each page I create.
Why doesn't Sitemapper see these?
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Albert Brizendine wrote:

If you noticed above, I also have simple text links on every page duplicating the javascript menu. I did this for the search engines.
An example of one of my text links: <a href="../index.html" class="redlink">Home</a>
Again, these are in the template and duplicated one each page I create.
Why doesn't Sitemapper see these?

That link is not correct, you should never use ../ You need to use either a relative or absolute link <a href="/index.html" or <a href="http://www.mydomain.com.index.html"

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.