Site Designer suggestions - Page 26 -...

User 2699991 Photo


Registered User
4,126 posts
Online Now

How about in the resources thingy, having all the folders that are in there CLOSED by default, especially now that we can place all the webform builder PHP and exported files in there, along with a multitude of others, it becomes a bit tedious to have to keep closing the folders in order to even see some of the other folders.

User 2706435 Photo


Ambassador
444 posts

I have a suggestion
Tell me *WHY* I should upgrade in the cart. In my software purchase list, there is a button to upgrade. I am sent to a shopping cart that says "Site Designer." Nothing else. No version number (am I buying the same version), no list of new features, or all the features.

Why should I buy it? (actually, that is not a rhetorical question, why should I buy it, really?)
User 2699991 Photo


Registered User
4,126 posts
Online Now

BIll G wrote:
I have a suggestion
Tell me *WHY* I should upgrade in the cart. In my software purchase list, there is a button to upgrade. I am sent to a shopping cart that says "Site Designer." Nothing else. No version number (am I buying the same version), no list of new features, or all the features.

Why should I buy it? (actually, that is not a rhetorical question, why should I buy it, really?)


No reason why it's up to you your choice, check out the change logs from Suzanne for what's new in the latest version & make your own mind up

User 2695940 Photo


Registered User
147 posts

A Nony Mouse wrote:
BIll G wrote:
I have a suggestion
Tell me *WHY* I should upgrade in the cart. In my software purchase list, there is a button to upgrade. I am sent to a shopping cart that says "Site Designer." Nothing else. No version number (am I buying the same version), no list of new features, or all the features.

Why should I buy it? (actually, that is not a rhetorical question, why should I buy it, really?)


No reason why it's up to you your choice, check out the change logs from Suzanne for what's new in the latest version & make your own mind up


My suggestion would be for the Change Logs to be updated as soon as the new version is released. Sometimes you don't see the Change Log until after the new version has been available for more than a week or so. I just think it would make sense to release them both at the same time.
John Ferguson
Website Design and Development
www.jf1.co
User 2699991 Photo


Registered User
4,126 posts
Online Now

John Ferguson wrote:
A Nony Mouse wrote:
BIll G wrote:
I have a suggestion
Tell me *WHY* I should upgrade in the cart. In my software purchase list, there is a button to upgrade. I am sent to a shopping cart that says "Site Designer." Nothing else. No version number (am I buying the same version), no list of new features, or all the features.

Why should I buy it? (actually, that is not a rhetorical question, why should I buy it, really?)


No reason why it's up to you your choice, check out the change logs from Suzanne for what's new in the latest version & make your own mind up


My suggestion would be for the Change Logs to be updated as soon as the new version is released. Sometimes you don't see the Change Log until after the new version has been available for more than a week or so. I just think it would make sense to release them both at the same time.


I completely 1000% agree, in fact I think the change logs thingy should be released a bit before the update (upgrade) to sort of get people excited in anticipation. A bit like "COMING SOON TO A SCREEN NEAR YOU"

I was once told by Cc management why they don't release the logs until after,, but I forget now what the reason was (although I do remember thinking it wasn't really a good enough reason.

User 3015448 Photo


Registered User
29 posts

My biggest complaint/suggestion -

It seems the basic building block of SD5 is the "container." That, potentially, makes building a site easier. However, I would love to see something done about manipulating the containers [moving them around]. I know that Inspector is supposed to do that, but it is so hard to see what is what - or maybe it's my old eyes.

I get come really whacky visuals when I drop a container inside a column container, for example, and then flex.

Making containers more easily distinguishable from one another in inspector [maybe by color? Idk.]. Am I moving a container under or into another container?
"Say what you mean; mean what you say." ~~ Ben Franklin
User 122279 Photo


Senior Advisor
14,051 posts
Online Now

You should see by the indentation if a container is inside or under the one above.

As to colours, the outermost containers are dark green, the ones inside are light green. If you take an inner container out to the outermost level, it will also become dark green, and vice versa.

Or do you want different colours for each level of 'inner'?
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway
This site was made before we were able to create components through the app:
Component sharing for RFF, RBB, RSD and SD: https://eikweb.com/sharing/
My work in progress right now:
Components for the same as above + HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com


User 2699991 Photo


Registered User
4,126 posts
Online Now

Richard Federici wrote:
My biggest complaint/suggestion -

It seems the basic building block of SD5 is the "container." That, potentially, makes building a site easier. However, I would love to see something done about manipulating the containers [moving them around]. I know that Inspector is supposed to do that, but it is so hard to see what is what - or maybe it's my old eyes.

I get come really whacky visuals when I drop a container inside a column container, for example, and then flex.

Making containers more easily distinguishable from one another in inspector [maybe by color? Idk.]. Am I moving a container under or into another container?


Hi Richard
It's been a long time since we id things together maybe you have forgotten

Go to the tab at the top "Actions"
open it and select "preferences"

There you will see that you can select the "containers border colour (only for visual, not for real), increase the size of the border (it's an overlay so no effect to the layout (I have mine set to 3 or even 4 px for demo's)

You can change the tool tip colour from dark to light, whichever suits your eyes


Below that section are other things you can set up,

By making the border a brighter stronger colour, makes it easier to move things around within other containers etc.

Need more help?? I can dig out the video tutorial showing that if you would like to refresh your memory

W

User 3015448 Photo


Registered User
29 posts

Ah, thank you! That ought to make things easier, Wayan the Wizard!
"Say what you mean; mean what you say." ~~ Ben Franklin
User 179977 Photo


Registered User
146 posts

Minor problem, but irritating (unless I am missing something). I realize the files I am speaking about here are rather simple, but for those with no coding experience they may seem complicated. In SD preferences you can have SD automatically export a robots.txt and sitemap. I did not initially realize it, but the exported files need to be appended to include the URL of the target website. This makes perfect sense although I did not realize it initially. If one is to use these files you would open them individually and add the site URL in the appropriate location. The problem is that the next time SD exports the files you either have to make the same changes to the files or when uploaded, the exported files will overwrite the "altered" files.

I would suggest making a place in the preferences to input the site URL so that all exported files (robots, sitemap) will have the correct URL included, in such a way as to be for that project only. Otherwise it would bleed over into all sites saved if it were a generic preference.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.