Getting started with SD V3 (and CSS...

User 232214 Photo

COO
827 posts

Hey everybody,

I know you are all excited about Site Designer V3 (yea, a new name, the 'responsive is gone, short, sweet and to the point now). And, you should be, it's a crazy good app :P

The new Help Guide has been posted. You can find it at: https://tutorials.coffeecup.com/site-designer/

I have a couple of pointers for when you start diving in:

1. If you haven't yet, get some mileage with CSS Grid first. We have been posting a Guide to CSS Grid, a free app, instructional grid videos and step-by-step videos to help you get going. And yes, the cssgrid.cc site needs a (design) update, we are working on that!

Start a new project, do some experimenting, try to replicate things from the video, play around in a theme (or even study it).

The theme linked in the email is great for this and the gained knowledge will be a big help going forward AND with converting V2 projects to the new layout structure. Now, if you start converting please keep in mind that:

2 It is important to understand the very different concepts behind the old framework layouts and CSS Grid when you start converting. Please click the link, read (and clap please, I would be thankful and it will really help CoffeeCup to get the word out and keep improving our apps) before doing any conversion.

3 Suzanne wrote up instructions how to specifically do this within the app, if you understand the concept, this will be easy.

4 After that again, look at a theme to get a hang of the updated UI, workflow and especially, CSS Grid. The theme linked in the email is great for learning purposes (and it looks pretty darn good too :cool:).

5 I would advise against mass importing components that might or might not be using rows and columns — instead my suggestion is to important them as needed, update them if needed and resave them over the old component. This way you are not mixing in 'old' layout components.

6 When updating, do it on a section by section basis (a section usually consists of one or two rows).

7 Start with easier sections to get a feel for this, do sections that contain menus and subgrids later.

As many of you already mentioned, CSS Grid is the future. Sometimes participating in that means investing a little time. Since all of you are already fluent with RSD, this learning should go fast though :)

The future of web layout has arrived and it's called CSS Grid. CoffeeCup helps you to get ready with a free guide, the Grid Builder app plus cool demos & themes.
User 185561 Photo

102 posts

You wrote above that Suzanne wrote up instructions how to specifically convert V2 files to V3 using the Technologic theme, but the resource link to download the theme is broken, it dumps to a OOPS page.
Once you accomplish the impossible, then you can move on to the hard stuff!
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

I had this error too. If you have RSD or RFF, you can open the same theme and save it as a project file. Suzanne is working in the Foundation system, so maybe best not to open the BS version.

Not that I've had much luck with it, though. I spent some hours on it today, but I couldn't find out whether just to delete the layout class names containing 'row' or 'column', (i.e. the green ones) or if I should delete the blue ones too if they contain those two words?
Another thing is, I seem to have the wrong number of containers compared to Suzanne' article. See screen shot, mine is the left one (and since the class names now are gone, it's hard to say which ones to keep).
Attachments:
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 399746 Photo

Sales & Support Manager
416 posts

Chuck (ITManager) wrote:
You wrote above that Suzanne wrote up instructions how to specifically convert V2 files to V3 using the Technologic theme, but the resource link to download the theme is broken, it dumps to a OOPS page.

I fixed the link!
Learn the essentials with these tips on Site Designer. You'll be making epic, code-free responsive sites like a boss.
User 399746 Photo

Sales & Support Manager
416 posts

Inger wrote:
I had this error too. If you have RSD or RFF, you can open the same theme and save it as a project file. Suzanne is working in the Foundation system, so maybe best not to open the BS version.

Not that I've had much luck with it, though. I spent some hours on it today, but I couldn't find out whether just to delete the layout class names containing 'row' or 'column', (i.e. the green ones) or if I should delete the blue ones too if they contain those two words?
Another thing is, I seem to have the wrong number of containers compared to Suzanne' article. See screen shot, mine is the left one (and since the class names now are gone, it's hard to say which ones to keep).

I would suggest deleting both the green and blue layout classes (both column and row) on the Styles pane so that you can apply the settings fresh.
Learn the essentials with these tips on Site Designer. You'll be making epic, code-free responsive sites like a boss.
User 185561 Photo

102 posts

Thanks Suzanne
Once you accomplish the impossible, then you can move on to the hard stuff!
User 458539 Photo

1,583 posts

Is it possible to to have both 2.5 and 3 on the computer so during ramp up we wont take the chance of and issue coming up?
User 2120397 Photo

96 posts

After upgrade, the old 2.5 is still there, look in Programs. I use both when working too look at and copy all the values. I'm working with a copy in another folder, that way I always have the original project.
http://wilford.no
I may be a little grumpy in the morning, that is, before my first cup of coffee ;)
User 2800184 Photo

1 post

The grid settings popup needs to scroll. Mine goes off of the screen and I am unable to use it on my desktop. Other than that the program is really great.
User 196690 Photo

17 posts

so im taking that i cant use SDv3 with my RSD v2.5 developed sites then ??

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.