Bug in symbols? - Page 1 - Post ID...

User 1471420 Photo

60 posts

Hi guys,
I'm not sure but perhaps there is a bug in the symbols part of SD.
I have a menu for mobile devices which only updates part of the menu across the pages containing this symbol. And not on all pages. The urls do not update at all, only the text. Can that be possible? Looks like a possible bug to me.
I'm considering deleting the menu and starting again, but it's a lot of work. I'm hoping that this has been seen before and someone might know a solution!
Any ideas gratefully received!
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

I will not say that there is absolutely no bug, but personally, I have never had any problem with it.

I'm using the symbols in all the frameworks and have up to nearly 50 pages on some of them. The 2nd URL in my signature is to such a site where I'm using symbols for 4 frameworks (and for the HTML Editor I'm using the 'library' feature). The symbols have been working flawlessly for nearly 2 years now.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 1471420 Photo

60 posts

Yes they usually work well for me too. Very happy with the app. Any ideas what might be wrong or how it could be fixed?
User 1471420 Photo

60 posts

I noticed that the urls were not changing across site when I updated the menu on one page. So I tried changing the button text and changing a url. Only the text updated and not the url.
Is there a master page, or symbol, that is the one that should be edited and then updates all others? Or can you edit the symbol on any page and all the others with that symbol will update?
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

There is no 'master symbol'. You are supposed to edit the symbol on one page, and then all the other pages will be updated.
When I update mine, which is the navigation, I duplicate the menu item right above or below and change the text and the URL.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

barry wrote:
I noticed that the urls were not changing across site when I updated the menu on one page. So I tried changing the button text and changing a url. Only the text updated and not the url.
Is there a master page, or symbol, that is the one that should be edited and then updates all others? Or can you edit the symbol on any page and all the others with that symbol will update?

If you have an element set as a symbol (it gets a orangy brown outline colour around it to show that element is a symbol, then any changes you make will change on all other elements that connected to the same symbol

Another way to check is to go to the symbols tab and with the element selected on the canvas, the orange thingy in the symbols tab (top right,
0 will be a bright orange, iis it's not connected then the orange thingy will not be highlighted
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Inger wrote:
There is no 'master symbol'. You are supposed to edit the symbol on one page, and then all the other pages will be updated.
When I update mine, which is the navigation, I duplicate the menu item right above or below and change the text and the URL.

Hi Inger
I usually create a master symbols page, which makes it very easy to edit the symbol, especially is thr other pages have a lot going on and are a sort of complicated layout

I find that a very nice easy way to change/edit the symbols
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

Wayan Jaya wrote:

Hi Inger
I usually create a master symbols page, which makes it very easy to edit the symbol, especially is thr other pages have a lot going on and are a sort of complicated layout

I find that a very nice easy way to change/edit the symbols

That seems a very good idea actually! ;) I've never thought of doing it that way.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

barry wrote:
... The urls do not update at all, only the text. Can that be possible? ...

I have tried to replicate the problem, but failed to do so.

If the information in the previous answers doesn't resolve the issue, perhaps it would best to create a small .rsd project file that demonstrates the problem, along if possible with a screen video showing it happening, and to include them in a submission in "My Support Room".

Frank
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

I am willing to bet
RP 1,000,000
to £1,000,000

that the menu in question isn't a symbol
Just joking ???? about the cash
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.