Suggestions for Shopping Cart Creator...

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

WILL_UK wrote:
Open question. At some stage in the future, there will be a basic and a pro version of Shopping Cart Creator. Will optional modules ever be available for the basic version, for people that don't want, or need the all the options of the pro version, or is the long term plan just to have a basic and a pro version?

That is something we are still deciding on. I think for now, the modules we will be selling will be more like different merchants and not really feature based. So we may not really sell a "search module" because that would be found in the Professional version. At least for now, that is the plan.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 515922 Photo

57 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
Furnace_Guy wrote:
This request I don't think is even do-able, but I thought I'd run it past you anyway.
How about a way to rebuild the SCC file from the uploaded web files. It's a fact of life that hard drives will die, sometime. Not "if", but "when". To have that little bit of security would make me sleep a bit easier.
I'm thinking about starting to upload my SCC file on a weekly basis to a protected folder just in case something bad does happen. Maybe make that an option in the user settings?
Also, how about a tutorial all about using the "optional fields"? I'm having a hard time with that one.

We are actually going to later on try to start uploading the SCC file to your server. That way you can have a backup.

What issues are you having using the optional fields?

http://www.coffeecup.com/files/forums/moreoptionsnotworking.png

I feel kinda stupid saying this, but it really isn't obvious how to use the options. I haven't a clue where to start with them.
How about a paragraph just summing it up?
Thanks for all of your help.
Gary
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Furnace_Guy wrote:

I feel kinda stupid saying this, but it really isn't obvious how to use the options. I haven't a clue where to start with them.
How about a paragraph just summing it up?
Thanks for all of your help.
Gary

We are always trying to improve things to make it easier for all users. What specifically do you not understand about the Optional Fields?

Say you sell t-shirts and then offer sizes Small, Medium, and Large. This is what you would use this option for. When a customer goes to your shop and wants to buy this shirt, there will be a drop down window that has these sizes listed.

If you load the docuementation and go to page 62, this is described in detail there.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 515922 Photo

57 posts

That's what I needed to know, Thanks Scott!
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
User 513553 Photo

1 post

Is a refer option going to be available? In order words - 'if you like this product/servise take a look at these'.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Cameron McClure wrote:
Is a refer option going to be available? In order words - 'if you like this product/servise take a look at these'.

I could see something like that in the software at some point.
User 2641572 Photo

1,245 posts

I know that limitations with shipping options within the current version of SCC has been mentioned before, which makes we wonder as to what the purpose of the display only weght input actually is, as there appears to be no real benefit over just typing it into the item description along with other elements?

I know from my experience with other carts that shipping is in itself a complex issue, as you have to allow variations for both weight and destination. On top of that different countries don't have the same types of shipping services available. Weight obviously plays a significant part in both regional and international shipping costs, which makes me wonder if the weight input couldn't be used for something more constructive in future versions of SCC?

I am hoping that the pro version will offer a major enhancement to the shipping module, as SCC is sadly unworkable on two of my sites, that have significant international traffic and wide variations in product weights. Until that time, the customers of those sites will just have to endure long checkout processes. :/

The basic version of SCC is actually very good, which should perhaps come as no surprise to me, as I've been using coffeecup html editor for years, to build my listing templates for my other carts.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

WILL_UK wrote:
I know that limitations with shipping options within the current version of SCC has been mentioned before, which makes we wonder as to what the purpose of the display only weght input actually is, as there appears to be no real benefit over just typing it into the item description along with other elements?

I know from my experience with other carts that shipping is in itself a complex issue, as you have to allow variations for both weight and destination. On top of that different countries don't have the same types of shipping services available. Weight obviously plays a significant part in both regional and international shipping costs, which makes me wonder if the weight input couldn't be used for something more constructive in future versions of SCC?

I am hoping that the pro version will offer a major enhancement to the shipping module, as SCC is sadly unworkable on two of my sites, that have significant international traffic and wide variations in product weights. Until that time, the customers of those sites will just have to endure long checkout processes. :/

The basic version of SCC is actually very good, which should perhaps come as no surprise to me, as I've been using coffeecup html editor for years, to build my listing templates for my other carts.

Right now we have not really tackled shipping. The initial 'pro' version will also not have any new abilities in this area either. Once we get a few more important items out of the way, this will be one of our next items to look into.
User 2641572 Photo

1,245 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
Right now we have not really tackled shipping. The initial 'pro' version will also not have any new abilities in this area either. Once we get a few more important items out of the way, this will be one of our next items to look into.

Unfortunately that will make the forthcoming pro version a totally unrealistic proposition for those of us that have variance in our product weights. :(

The only workable solution I found with my other carts, was a simple flat database table, where I put prices for shipping up to 100gms, up to 250gms, up to 500gms etc, these being replicated for three different zones, in my case UK only, Europe and outside Europe, with the prices altered for the international destinations (obviously). The weight is entered for each inventory item and during the shopping session these weights are totalled up. When the customer chooses their shipping destination from the dropdown on the cart page, it simply takes the destination area and combined weight and fetches the appropriate shipping price from the database table. Simple but extremely effective.

As you already have the weight input in SCC and variants on shipping, you have much of the infrastructure in place there, to implement a system like this at some stage. By making the weight bands in the table user definable, you have an incredibly flexible system that is easy to update, to reflect any future increases in shipping costs. :cool:
User 452087 Photo

11 posts

Sorry guys, but I found the lack of any automated handling of downloads (I'm putting together a store for a publisher of ebooks and audiobooks) makes this unusable for me. In today's market I would have thought this would be a priority feature.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.