Suggestions for Shopping Cart Creator...

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Reginald,

I'm curious to know what kind of account you're using on PayPal that charges 5%, as mine only charges me 2.9% plus 30 cents for each transaction.
User 345577 Photo

373 posts

Jo Ann wrote:
I'm curious to know what kind of account you're using on PayPal that charges 5%...

Well, Jo Ann, he didn't exactly say that PayPal was charging him 5%, he said he wanted to know if one can add a 5% surcharge for purchasers who use PayPal.

I'd say that's insufficient information from which to definitively draw a conclusion.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

This is true Chuck, just reading his text though makes it sound like it's because he's being charged that much lol, guess we'll see :P
User 345577 Photo

373 posts

Jo Ann wrote:
... just reading his text though makes it sound like it's because he's being charged that much
It was easy enough to see why you came to that conclusion - it does sorta suggest that. But I'm an old 'command line' guy and I tend to be overly literal. :) Reading between the lines can help you solve problems and it can also send you down the wrong alley.
User 2000538 Photo

1,392 posts

Well if the question is indeed is he allowed to add a surcharge for those using paypal then reading the Paypal rules might be a good plan as they can suspend your account under some circumstances if you blatantly add a surcharge for using them.

Better to factor it into the cost of the item.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said...but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not exactly what I meant.

User 2000538 Photo

1,392 posts

Took a bit of finding but here is their clause:

6.4 Seller Discouragement Policy. You agree that PayPal may suspend your account or otherwise prohibit your use of the PayPal service if you display PayPal as an accepted payment method on your website or eBay listing and subsequently prohibit the use of PayPal, surcharge for the use of PayPal, or otherwise discourage the use of PayPal as a payment mechanism.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said...but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not exactly what I meant.

User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

tassietiger wrote:
Took a bit of finding but here is their clause:
6.4 Seller Discouragement Policy. You agree that PayPal may suspend your account or otherwise prohibit your use of the PayPal service if you display PayPal as an accepted payment method on your website or eBay listing and subsequently prohibit the use of PayPal, surcharge for the use of PayPal, or otherwise discourage the use of PayPal as a payment mechanism.

Thank you Tassie.
That's an interesting bit of information from the 'fine print', which I never tend to read much of...
User 2000538 Photo

1,392 posts

I'm with you on that one Per... usually just tick yes and don't read the fine print as its usually 50 pages long and in teeny tiny writing.

I only know about that little clause as I used to spend quite a bit of time in an auction site forum where these things tend to get discussed.

User 345577 Photo

373 posts

Pretty clear bit of legalese, there. Thanks for wading through it to get an answer.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Chuck B wrote:
Pretty clear bit of legalese, there.

I'm not entirely certain lawyers can even agree to what is clear in the interpretation of legalese. :)
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.