Suggestions for Shopping Cart...

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

I have a really wierd (as usual lol) request or suggestion. This may sound really off the wall, and may not be feasible in any way, but I thought I would ask anyways in case there was something that could be done for it even in a small way at all.

I am wanting to mess around with a new theme to see what I can do now that I have my main one and my christmas ones pretty much done and set to go. So I load up a blank one and want to see what I can do with it, but.... after weeks of messing around with the 2 I made already I find that I don't want to have to guess at all the settings again like I did before, basically using many of the same graphics I have now and am wondering this:

Is it possible to add some way for us to export a text file with basic settings for the different areas of the Theme. there are SOOOOOO many different areas that I am finding myself having to load this one, then save it, then load the old one and look at the settings or write them all down... and so on... and so forth ... hopefully you get the picture.

So it would be awesome if there was a way to export settings just to a text file that we can either reference opened or print out or whatever so we don't have to guess all the sizes and margins and all that again. I'm sure a lot of the settings won't need to be the same anyways, but there are so many that could be that this might be a nice thing to have the ability to do.

Anyways, like I said, it could be totally off the wall impossible for all I know lol, but it was something that came to my strange little brain so figured I may as well voice it :)
User 2641572 Photo

1,245 posts

Wow, it sounds like you're really beginning to get mega confused with all the changes you've been making recently Jo Ann. :)

The best solution is just to save a sct copy at the early stages, calling it say devsite1, then at later stages save devsite2 etc. You have both the settings and the basic architecture then. I have a spiral bound book I keep all my site specifics in as an easy source of reference. It's invaluable if I want to duplicate sites and just changes images etc around. Alternatively you could just print out the CSS file and use a highlighter pen. ;)

It's all too easy to place too much emphasis on the site design, rather than its specific function, which is in the case of a shop, is to sell products. I've seen technically advanced sites, with flash intros, video clips, endless hype and every other feature you can possibly imagine, but none of that is any good, unless you have good products that there is a demand for, at realistic prices.

One of the most successful sites in the world, is called craigslist and sites don't come much simpler than that. :)
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

hmm I hadn't thought about the CSS file, thanks for that tip there Will as I would imagine all that I need would be in there... I hope... lol

I'm not looking so much to duplicate as I am to just get basic settings so I can "remember" what they all were for as there are so many settings, and to be honest they don't all do what the title suggests they will so it was pretty confusing at first trying to figure out what they all were for, and quite a few of them I still haven't deciphered as they seem to do similar things to other settings. And another reason to save the settings would be for knowing which ones I actually "did" alter lol. The CSS file should aleviate most of that I would think so I'll print that out and see how that goes, that would pretty much take care of this situation then, thanks for the idea there :)
User 2053519 Photo

6 posts

Hi everyone,
I bought the shopping cart programe today and the shopping cart designer programe, and was playing around with both programes and what i think is missing from these great programes is the abillity to have flash backgrounds in the templates,and also to be able to expand the naigation buttons to a larger size,that would be a big help for,as some item have large names,text can be enlarged but the graphic buttons wont enlarge across the page,maybe someone has some thoughts on this i hope.
ps: it would also be great if images or flash could be placed at random on the template !!! Have a coffee,think about it,and icome up with an idea to make a great programme perfect.
Regards Dave.
User 147665 Photo

Ambassador
712 posts

I would like to add a food-for-thought suggestion...
Since we have page properties now
It would be real neat to have an 'html head properties' selection and/or Tab with a text area for inserting code above the head tag..
How would I use this.
1. to add sIFR code so I could have cool page titles and such
2. to add geo tags and other meta tag info

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

dave beall wrote:
I would like to add a food-for-thought suggestion...
Since we have page properties now
It would be real neat to have an 'html head properties' selection and/or Tab with a text area for inserting code above the head tag..
How would I use this.
1. to add sIFR code so I could have cool page titles and such
2. to add geo tags and other meta tag info

We have to be somewhat careful there as the wrong type of code could corrupt your shop. I can just see someone adding a JavaScript that conflicts with our code and then gets upset at us ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 147665 Photo

Ambassador
712 posts

Yes, I understand.. that might be the diff between basic vs pro.
And it would save me from hacking all the files published for the server.
(and the idea of re-hacking each time a change is made)
If it could somehow be kept inside the loop would even be ok(CoffeeCup scripts only) somehow..
adding additional meta tags might be neat.. but there are so many to choose from.

anyway, it's just a thought. something to consider.

User 147665 Photo

Ambassador
712 posts

Just call me a trouble maker.. Using the pro version..
when I use a background image for the 'Product Details Properties' all is fine..
But then all the pages have that same background. hmmmm, that can't be right :|

for example: 'Product category background' is using 'Product List Properties' but is not settable to something different. :rolleyes:

same for all the theme sections:
Product List Properties; main background
Cart Contents Properties; main background
Page Properties; main background
Category List Properties; main background
Shop Home Static Content Properties; main background

So what am I doing wrong or is this a bug. :P
My request for future updates is to make each section settable to it's own background

User 147665 Photo

Ambassador
712 posts

well, maybe not too many people would want to have different backgrounds..
Might not be worth all the work to do it...

User 135966 Photo

26 posts

I could use some help. I would like to use a script font which CCS has not added any to the list of 'safe' web fonts. Is there any way I can add my own? I know how to meddle in php and css and js files. However, I found that when I added my stuff for a OTF file, it didn't make any changes (so I know there's a page being accessed that I am missing). Or I'd like to use an image 'name' for a menu item instead of using text. Perhaps giving the page a name and making an image link for the menu item? It would help with making the site more proffesional looking.

Thanks!

Barry
People say there are two roads you can take in life. Heck with that! I'll just let my feet take me where I need to go and follow my spirit! :)

http://www.designbybarry.com

http://www.carriagehousetoys.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.