RSD 2.5: Changing a paragraph...

User 2699991 Photo

2,256 posts

Mellisa
Found this: https://www.tmprod.com/blog/2010/h1-h2- … s-for-seo/

that blog is dated 2010 !!!!

here is a quote in 2018 from Google seo master himself
“…so these heading tags in HTML help us to understand the structure of the page but it’s not that you have any kind of a fantastic ranking bonus by having text in an h2 tags …. sometimes we will see sites trying to abuse that and they put their whole content into an h1 tag and say well this is like really really important text and you should treat it with high value and we do use a to understand that the context of a page better to understand the structure of the text on the page but it’s not the case that you would like automatically rank one or two steps higher just by using a heading so I’d recommend using it to give a semantic structure to the page but I wouldn’t say that this is a requirement for ranking properly in search” John Mueller, Google

Google & others change their algorithms like 5* hotels change their bedsheets, that's why some of these automatic SEO wonder programs fail (unless they are kept up to date almost daily) and blogs like the one you posted can actually do more harm than good
The Help You Need: When You Need It The Most
User 404575 Photo

873 posts

Oh my. Thanks Wayan. Anyway...
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 8.1
User 2699991 Photo

2,256 posts

Don't want to keep harping on about it but just as an example (names & location changed, as I haven't asked him if I can tell the tale)

I was asked recently by a pizza restaurant owner in Melbourne Australia, to take a look at his site with regard to updating & getting his business back on track.

after looking at everything initially, I changed his h1 header (which was the name of his pizza place) to a H2 header.
I then placed an H1 header lower down on the page, below the navigation, & the full-width image (but still above the fold) this H1 header text " Caco's The Best Pizza in Melbourne" (Caco's not the real name).

Within 2 weeks of just doing that (not even re-designed the site) his pizza place had crept back up the SERPS 3 places and was back on the first page.

It's not exactly brain surgery, but if you think about it, what would someone type into a search request for a pizza restaurant in Melbourne, well for a start they wouldn't be typing the NAME of his restaurant unless they knew it already so likely they would be asking Google to show them the sites for "The Best Restaurant In Melbourn (or words to that effect)
By placing those words into an H1 header even it is below the H2 header on the page, & the fact that the H1 was a "section" header, & therefore the content of that section, was given more importance &relevance that just being a site title; (back in 2010, it was H1 had to be the first, thing followed by H2 etc)

So consider this
People who ask Google to show them a website for serving legal papers in the Denver aren't likely to type in your company name because if they are searching then they don't know it (if they know it & what you do, they would come direct or use bookmarks) they will ask a question.

So do some investigative work, find out what the popular questions most asked of Google are, and incorporate the answer into your H1 header (which as has been shown doesn't have to be the main title anymore.) Putting your company name as H2 header (which will still get some ranking score) will not hurt rankings

The h1 header is the title for a section of the page relating to the relevance of your site & services, but then again there isn't much said in the sections'

As a final aside,
Google ranking is only 1 of over 200 things they look at on a site with regard to giving their customers your visitors the websites that Google thinks will show their customers the best results(answers) & visual experience they can get.
User 404575 Photo

873 posts

That's very interesting, thanks Wayan.

One of the challenges I'm facing, when it comes to help with site design and SEO, is striking a balance between what I would like potential clients to see and know, what they would find valuable, what Google would like it to be, which is often FAR different than the needs of my clients and business*, what a designer, who doesn't know my business, would like it to be, and what a SEO expert who doesn't know my business, would make it.

And of course, the grand Catch 22 of finding the funding to pay the person(s) for their help.

* I just had Google disapprove a dozen display ads that I spent an afternoon making, because they said that my company name wasn't in them, when it's clear as the day that it is.
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 8.1
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
12,200 posts
Online Now

Those display ads, was your company name 'baked' into an image perhaps? If so, Google doesn't like that. It has to be text.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway
My new honey site, built with RFF: http://www.eikweb.com/horgenhonning/
Component sharing for RFF, RBB, RSD and SD: http://www.eikweb.com/sharing/

User 2699991 Photo

2,256 posts

One of the challenges I'm facing, when it comes to help with site design and SEO, is striking a balance between what I would like potential clients to see and know, what they would find valuable, what Google would like it to be, which is often FAR different than the needs of my clients and business*, what a designer, who doesn't know my business, would like it to be, and what a SEO expert who doesn't know my business, would make it.

Well therein lies one of your problems, because you see INITIALLY they are Google Customers (hopefully potential clients as you say) but Google will always decide what is best for their customers based on the questions asked (search requests) & if what you think your potential customers want to see, differs from what Google knows their customers want to see, then you will never get out of that situation of not appearing on the SERPS (or at least not high) & forever trying to find ways.

Your catch 22 situation means you are having to DIY it, which is OK everybody starts sometime & somewhere, but if you are going to do it yourself for heaven's sake make sure that you are as up to date as possible with the latest stuff, not taking something from 2010 for example which is so out of date it's not funny.

SEO & Designers don't necessarily need to know about how & business owner thinks their site should look & feel they need to know how a site needs to look & feel & be as best optimised as possible, yes it's true they should work closely with the site owner, & ensure the site is the best optimal site they can, but the owner also has to understand & mostly accept that the Developers knowledge experience & advice is made for a reason, because they KNOW what GOOGLE expects its customers to see.
User 404575 Photo

873 posts

Inger wrote:
Those display ads, was your company name 'baked' into an image perhaps? If so, Google doesn't like that. It has to be text.

They're Google Ads, Inger, and display ads in that medium are all image. They must have been read by algorithm, not by humans, or they were read by humans whose first language wasn't English and they didn't understand the company name. This happened twice before, and I just have to call them during the week and talk to a live person, and they approve them.
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 8.1

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.