RSD 1. or SD V3? What's the...

User 2699991 Photo

2,477 posts

Melissa Rhiannon wrote:
Hi people! I'm baaack... :lol:

I'm a senior, running a small part time home based business, and wanted the responsive thing, for mobile phones to see my page at http://DenverProcessServers.net

So I had one of your nice people do my site with RSD 1 when it first came out, and got a free copy which I'm still using. ( As usual, such great deals here! ) :D

So now I've been getting all kinds of email offers for Site Designer V3.

I still have RSD 1, and don't even know how to use that very well, being I spend most of my time being swamped with business for what I know how to do best, and have never really studied web design.

So what's the difference between these things?

Hi Mellisa,
Well there is a world of difference to be honest, even though SDv3 has something called Vanilla, which can work from any position (desktop down or mobile first, or indeed anywhere in between for that matter) the process needed to either convert RSD v1 to the new SDv3 then get it onto the new CSS Grid system is somewhat complicated, (or should we say not easy), especially if one doesn't really understand or is familiar with RSDv1 or even RSD v2.5 for that matter.

Sites made using earlier versions(RSDv1 up to RSDv2.5) will still be around & working for years if not decades to come.
to quote something you mention
what I know how to do best,
stick to that, and if ever the time comes when your site needs updating for whatever reason, get one of the kind people on this forum, to help you.

If the time HAS come and you wish to try to update the site yourself, then by all means, take the leap of faith, and get as much help from the people on this forum as you need.
Good luck with whatever you decide
Wayan In Sunny Bali
The Help You Need: When You Need It The Most
User 2699991 Photo

2,477 posts

Hi it's me again
just a quick bit of information for you
your site is not secured, you should by now have the required SSL certification, especially as you take payments online & presumably store clients personal information (email, name/phone etc). I don't know if your hosting service provides something for you as part of a package, but now this is REQUIRED by almost (if not all) major browsers, without it your visitors will probably get a message from the browser that the site is "unsecured" and that they should not risk entering any personal or financial details,, which may put a lot of people off.

Mind you that doesn't mean that they cannot continue & enter any data or payments details, just that they are warned that it is at their own risk if they do
User 404575 Photo

885 posts

Thanks Wayan.

My site doesn't need to be secured, as it's read-only. The payments take someone to Paypal, which I would HOPE is secured. :-)

Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 8.1
User 2699991 Photo

2,477 posts

Melissa Rhiannon wrote:
Thanks Wayan.

My site doesn't need to be secured, as it's read-only. The payments take someone to Paypal, which I would HOPE is secured. :-)

OOPS I put that bit about SSL on the wrong thread, sorry

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.