Published article renders differently...

User 379556 Photo

841 posts

Inger wrote:
Have you seen that even if you select Helvetica as your font, that is not what you get, it will be Helvetica Neue.

Indeed so, when one deliberately selects it. If one simply uses Reset to remove the font-family, and accepts the default Helvetica, I'm not certain whether the situation is the same, but I guess it is.

Frank
User 232214 Photo

COO
827 posts

If you are not using a web font, which is displayed consistently across browsers, the font stack will depend on whatever you have installed on your OS. People can add and delete fonts from their systems and the default font stack varies per OS so if you want to be consistent, go with a web font.

Helvetica Neue is a rework of the 1957 Helvetica design and therefore the default. When not supported the fallback is set Helvetica. Please note that you can choose your custom fallback font in Site Designer.

Hope this helps!

The future of web layout has arrived and it's called CSS Grid. CoffeeCup helps you to get ready with a free guide, the Grid Builder app plus cool demos & themes.
User 404575 Photo

878 posts

Frank Cook wrote:
The main.css file shows the following for paragraphs on the page referred to -

font-family: Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif;

This use of multiple font names in a font-family property is a fallback system: if the browser doesn't support the first font, it tries the next one, and so on. Different browsers may well therefore render differently.

One can check which font-family properties are being used by RSD for a paragraph or other text element by looking at the 'Your CSS (Read Only)' section below the Elements Tree while that element is selected.

Frank

But Frank, don't ALL browsers recognize Arial? That's a root Windows font, that Windows won't even allow people to delete. :o
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 8.1
User 404575 Photo

878 posts

Frank Cook wrote:
The main.css file shows the following for paragraphs on the page referred to -

font-family: Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif;

This use of multiple font names in a font-family property is a fallback system: if the browser doesn't support the first font, it tries the next one, and so on. Different browsers may well therefore render differently.

One can check which font-family properties are being used by RSD for a paragraph or other text element by looking at the 'Your CSS (Read Only)' section below the Elements Tree while that element is selected.

Frank

I'm not clear on this. If I click the Elements menu, then select the element of my text, I don't see any CSS section.

And if I did, if it's read-only, how would I edit it?
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 8.1
User 379556 Photo

841 posts

Hi Melissa.

1. I haven't used RSD 1.5 since 2017, and assumed that the 'Your CSS (Read Only)' had been introduced to RSD by the time of that version. From what you say, that seems not to be so. One can however look at the main.css file. In Firefox I do it by going to the website, keying Ctrl-u to get the html source code, and clicking on main.css in the head section.

2. One cannot edit the 'Your CSS (Read Only)'. In SD V3, and possibly earlier versions of RSD. HTML elements have a Typography section allowing allowing Align, Wrapping and Spacing options. Within the HTML element one may include a
<div style ="font-family:'font-name'; ">text goes here</div>.
One will still, however, hit the problem that different browsers may interpret matters differently.

3. I don't know whether all browsers recognise Arial, but I would certainly expect them to.

4. It seems to me just a fact of web life that different browsers, and different versions of browsers as mentioned by Wayan, can render things a bit differently, and that one therefore tests one's website in various browsers and tries to remove any avoidable problems.

5. If the problem does relate to one or more browsers falling back to the inconsistently rendering Helvetica Neue I suspect that one must just accept the inconsistency, or choose some font that doesn't result in such inconsistency, or arrange a different fallback (in SD V3 one would do that as mentioned in Bob's post; in RSD 1.5 it could be done as mentioned as 2 above, though I wouldn't recommend it).

Frank
User 404575 Photo

878 posts

Does the latest version allow editing of everything? I've been needing to upgrade anyway, but business was slow over the holidays.

As far as read only, I can change that and hand edit in the folders, but it would just get overwritten anyway, at the next changes.
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 8.1
User 2699991 Photo

2,265 posts
Online Now

Melissa Rhiannon wrote:
Does the latest version allow editing of everything? I've been needing to upgrade anyway, but business was slow over the holidays.

As far as read only, I can change that and hand edit in the folders, but it would just get overwritten anyway, at the next changes.

Hi Melissa
No it doesn't allow editing of CSS within SDv3, (that would defeat the object of having an app that does that coding for you, )
you would have to do that after exporting
The Help You Need: When You Need It The Most

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.