HELP! Site has saved over other site!...

User 476372 Photo

176 posts

I am TOTALLY freaking out right now! This has happened to me twice now. The first time, it wasn't as bad as this one, but I have had a website takeover another website's .rsd file. This one is significant because it is a HUGE website with LOTS of links AND I had someone rebuild it in a cms, so all the css and stuff has to match the cms version or when I copy/paste the code from the rsd file to the cms, it won't match! Here is what I did:

1. I was working on site a (the one that is now gone).
2. I had a client call for an update on another site. (site b)
3. in RSD, I went to the file menu (while site a was open in rsd) and selected site b from the recent file menu.
4. RSD asked me to save like it always does before opening site b.
5. Updated site b and closed out the whole program.
6. Today, I go to work on site a and it is now site b that comes up!

How is this possible? And, is there ANYTHING I can do to recover site a????
SPOON FROG graphics - Affordable Web Site Design & Ecommerce Design
www.spoonfroggraphics.com
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
12,288 posts

Haven't you got a backup somewhere? On a different computer? Even if it is not the newest version?
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway
My new honey site, built with RFF: http://www.eikweb.com/horgenhonning/
Component sharing for RFF, RBB, RSD and SD: http://www.eikweb.com/sharing/

User 476372 Photo

176 posts

Nope! I don't have a backup. :(
I will now, though.
User 379556 Photo

853 posts

The following are just a few thoughts rather than an explanation or guaranteed cure.

1. As this seems to be the first report of such a happening, it seems important to establish which version and build of RSD or SD V3 was being used. Then others may be able to check whether the matter can be replicated.
2. I'm not sure exactly how the auto-backups within the program are stored, but, if the full details of item 1 above and of what happened are reported to the CoffeeCup team in the 'My Support Room', it seems possible that they may be able to help. They will in any case be concerned to have exact information about this.
3. I would be inclined also to consider one of those programs that can recover apparently deleted files. I have used ZAR (Zero Assumption Recovery) with success when some other such programs failed. What seems to be an overwrite may not be such on the hard drive.

Frank
User 476372 Photo

176 posts

Hi Frank,

Thank you so much for the response. At this point, I am willing to try ANYTHING to see if I can recover the website. I use the program A LOT everyday and I am always toggling between sites in the recent file menu, so it would be great to know what might cause this.

I am using RSD Version 2.5, Build 2291. I understand there is a higher version available, but I am just not one to jump as soon as a newer version is released.

I will also try the support room, as well!

Thanks! :)
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
12,288 posts

At least stick to the version you have until your problem has been solved! Converting to the newer SD3 would only cause the overwritten file to get further away from what it was. Also, I wouldn't mess with it at all until you either have tried that software Frank suggested, or had a reply from CC support. It's unlucky this happened on a weekend, then by the looks of it, CC support isn't operative during weekends any more.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway
My new honey site, built with RFF: http://www.eikweb.com/horgenhonning/
Component sharing for RFF, RBB, RSD and SD: http://www.eikweb.com/sharing/

User 476372 Photo

176 posts

Hi Frank,

I searched for the ZAR program you mentioned but I am a little confused as to which one exactly it is. Can you provide me with a link? This appears to be my only shot at recovery.

Thank you! :)
User 379556 Photo

853 posts

User 476372 Photo

176 posts

Thanks, Frank!
User 556652 Photo

34 posts

Sure would be nice if the solution to this is posted so that others may benefit. I am very Pro backup but things still happend and not everyone makes backups. Therefore it would be of benefit to let others know how to recover (if it is possible.)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.