How to limit page width to 1200 px...

User 2736819 Photo

10 posts

Eric Rohloff wrote:
This will be rectified in the newest version as you will have an inspector tab.:cool: This will let you see that you have a break point assigned that isn't in view. The only other tip I can give is to always maximize your RLM screen when working on it.

First, the screen was always maximized. The property window always covers the break point bar so it is always impossible to tell by looking at the screen if break points have been inadvertently set. Likewise it is not possible from within RLM to clear these break points.

I will bring this issue up with support to see if they have a satisfactory work around - and I suspect one exists using a quick fix in custom.css.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Right now there is no work around but it is something we are looking into for a future version. RLM was designed for larger monitor sizes. I have found you can move the window off screen and manually resize the window to bring those breakpoints into view. You can either then delete them or move them to the visible area.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2736819 Photo

10 posts

Scott. I have a Viewsonic 27" 1080p Full HD monitor. RLM simply will not show much past the 1200 px break point. Even if I move off RLM to the left I can't make the view area any bigger so the break points slider past 1200 px simply cannot be displayed.

With no possible work arounds then this would be a deal breaker: it would mean that I cannot create websites with this product when using bootstrap 2. If you simply reduced the size of the property area window so it does not overlap the break point slider then the issue would go away.

Alternatively, if there is a custom.css hack to limit the max width size of the website page this would also be an acceptable solution to me.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Eri Takase wrote:
Scott. I have a Viewsonic 27" 1080p Full HD monitor. RLM simply will not show much past the 1200 px break point. Even if I move off RLM to the left I can't make the view area any bigger so the break points slider past 1200 px simply cannot be displayed.

With no possible work arounds then this would be a deal breaker: it would mean that I cannot create websites with this product when using bootstrap 2. If you simply reduced the size of the property area window so it does not overlap the break point slider then the issue would go away.

Alternatively, if there is a custom.css hack to limit the max width size of the website page this would also be an acceptable solution to me.

I only have a 20" monitor and I can go to over 1300px using Bootstrap 2. You can see in the screenshot, there is still room to go higher. Maybe you have your DPI set to high?

http://s21.postimg.org/tltwki0d3/Screen_Shot_2014_12_01_at_2_40_16_PM.png

Additionally, on my second monitor that is a 30" I can go over 1700px.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

Eri Takase wrote:

You must have your resolution set to 800x600 because I have three monitors setup at my desk, one being a 28", one being a 27" and the other being a 21" iMac screen.

On the 28" full screen, I can see up to 1911px.

On the 27" 1660px

and lastly on the iMac 21" screen I can see 1576px.

So check your resolution and make the adjustments needed. :P
User 2736819 Photo

10 posts

Scott, Thank you. I see what you mean. In my particular case I had the text set to Medium 125%. [In windows 7, right click on the desktop, select "screen resolution" then one can adjust the Resolution or select "make text and other items larger or smaller"] By changing this (ie adjusting the dpi) from 125% to 100% I can now see to just about 1600 pixels and see the break point that was inadvertently set. So this gets me out of my particular bind.

The issue still remains that it is easy to set break points behind the Properties panel. So, if for example I did this again at the highest resolution, then this remedy would not work.

I am still curious if a custom.css command to limit the maximum screen size is possible ... but officially this gets me moving forward. So, Scott, thank you again.
User 2736819 Photo

10 posts

As a follow-up. Even after deleting the offending breakpoint (select the breakpoint and hit the minus button on the left of the bar) code remains in main.css that causes the page to loose formatting when the screen is expanded past a certain point. I had hoped that after removing the break point this loss of formatting issue would go away. It did not. Hence my obsession with wanting custom.css code to limit the screen size.

So I played with a new project and, indeed, RLM handles the max width and increasing the size of the webpage behaves properly. So my issue is with some junk code that RLM is spitting out in my sample that is causing this "loss of formatting" and I expect there is no way to deal with this but to start over.

With that said, as this would not be an issue if the "invisible" and "unselectable" breakpoint had not been set and as CC plans to address this in a future release as far as I am concerned the issue is satisfactorily resolved.

Thank you all for your help.
User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

Eri Takase wrote:
With that said, as this would not be an issue if the "invisible" and "unselectable" breakpoint had not been set and as CC plans to address this in a future release as far as I am concerned the issue is satisfactorily resolved.

We did not set that Breakpoint Eri. That is a default (unremovable) breakpoint included in the Bootstrap 2 grid system you have chosen to use. This is something that Bootstrap has done, not us. :P

Now, a simple fix for this would be to use the Coffeegrinder grid system as it has no, none, nada default breakpoints. Which gives you the freedom to set them as you see fit.

Normally, within 98% of the layouts I create, I do not need a breakpoint before 950px (but that is just how I design).

I would recommend looking at the Coffeegrinder option.

Thanks!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.