How do you install the layouts? -...

User 500150 Photo

3 posts

Just so that folks don't think Cur and Tassie are the only ones, I'm in the same boat. To my way of thinking, I would expect a way to open RLM, find a template tab/button/menu, and then be able to see a preview of each style from within RLM. As it stands, I have to open 15 folders (haven't checked if there's one layout in each), and then open RLM to see what they look like. Not a terrible thing, but an option would be to take small screen shots (~50kb JPG file) of each template and include it in the root folder of the templates.

This seems like an issue where documentation would help immensely. Again, even if not necessary, guidance is clearly being requested. In my years of writing software, I found documentation to be the most unsatisfying part of the process for me, but often the most demanded by customers. If I were you, I would have the installer software create a blank "Templates" folder in /Documents/CoffeeCup Software/RLM/. Yes, I could do that on my own, but it's trivial to make an installer do it and it would help the end-user immensely. Then, a simple ReadMe.txt file in the root folder of the template file would be trivial. Someone one your end could finish it by lunch today and it would be a non-issue. I'd be sure that ReadMe.txt includes a comment about not overwriting the source template.

Yes, I realize that the rlmp files are simply blank templates, but logic would suggest there would be a proper place to put those files in a hierarchical folder system under RLM. Not being able to find that place, even if unnecessary, is confusing. It sounds like a case of CC needing to have beta testers who aren't in the field, as it'll narrow your market share if you cannot reach out to the wannabe web folks like me. Maybe that's not your target, but I trust the finance side of your business will clearly show a need to reach out to gramma and grandpa and not just hard-core folks.
User 500150 Photo

3 posts

When I go to unzip the template pack, I get a message asking if I want to confirm encryption loss. Do I care about the encryption? Another thing to put in the documentation.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

John M Frangiskakis wrote:
If I were you, I would have the installer software create a blank "Templates" folder in /Documents/CoffeeCup Software/RLM/. Yes, I could do that on my own, but it's trivial to make an installer do it and it would help the end-user immensely. Then, a simple ReadMe.txt file in the root folder of the template file would be trivial. Someone one your end could finish it by lunch today and it would be a non-issue. I'd be sure that ReadMe.txt includes a comment about not overwriting the source template.

We already do create such a folder John. Just look in the Documents\CoffeeCup Software\Responsive Layout Maker Pro folder and you will see a folder called "layouts". These are not templates though. These are layouts.

Layouts are not themes, so placement of these files can be anywhere. Even if I created a full article and video tutorial on what to do with them, there would still be the same questions. I have faith in all of you! I know you can ultimately work that out! :)

I did however include a file called INSTRUCTIONS.TXT in the zip file. Hopefully that helps those with difficulties.

Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2273654 Photo

754 posts

If you opted to not buy the layouts when purchasing the Responsive layout maker, how would one go about purchasing them now? Extremely sorry if this is an inappropriate entry or put on the wrong thread. How many of them are there and what do they look like?
My CC S-drive site https://workhorsepainting.com
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

GregB. wrote:
If you opted to not buy the layouts when purchasing the Responsive layout maker, how would one go about purchasing them now? Extremely sorry if this is an inappropriate entry or put on the wrong thread. How many of them are there and what do they look like?

Open a support ticket and we can send you a special cart link for them. I believe we are up to 15+ in the pack.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2273654 Photo

754 posts

Thank you for replying to my post, Scott. I have to go out in a few minutes till late afternoon so I will put in the ticket tomorrow. Thank you.
My CC S-drive site https://workhorsepainting.com
User 344123 Photo

1 post

Hi, I am hopping on this train with another layout question. I have tried to open a rml layout from the theme pack and am not sure I am getting the right results. For example, for Milky Way I am getting the attached screenshots, but in the accompanying folder of files there are a slew of images in the images folder and these are not showing up in the layout. Shouldn't they be? Is the css attached and how do I find the code?
many thanks,
Linnea

Attachments:
User 434929 Photo

Ambassador
938 posts

Linnea Hermance wrote:
Hi, I am hopping on this train with another layout question. I have tried to open a rml layout from the theme pack and am not sure I am getting the right results. For example, for Milky Way I am getting the attached screenshots, but in the accompanying folder of files there are a slew of images in the images folder and these are not showing up in the layout. Shouldn't they be? Is the css attached and how do I find the code?
many thanks,
Linnea

No they wont show up in RLMP, You will add them in your favorite code editor .
Guys at coffeecup are awesometacular.
User 434929 Photo

Ambassador
938 posts

Watch this demo I have just added
How to add your own images to Responsive Layout Maker Pro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yScf1nNTmvg
and
How to add your own images to Responsive Layout Maker Pro

http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/ … out-maker/
Guys at coffeecup are awesometacular.
User 65981 Photo

18 posts

Caveat: I originally used "directory" terminology but changed it to "folder" ... sorry if I missed any.

Questions are bold-faced for convenience.

I get that one does not "install" the layouts. Perhaps this should be a separate thread (feel free to move it if so).

However, there does seem to be a question of folder hierarchy, and what does one do with all the "extra" files? I know I tend towards verbosity so I will try to keep this missive simple and straightforward ... ach, there I go again ... :P

For example, the latest "free three" zip file.

The RLM user folder [Responsive Layout Maker Pro in my case] contains these folders:
    layouts
    wireframes

The layouts folder contains:
    blank.rlt
    descriptor.json
    New Project 1.rlmp [ok, so I assume this is from my first stab at this back in April]

The new "free three" zip file contains:
    __MACOSX [folder]
    Layouts [folder]
    __MACOSX
    Layouts

The "__MACOSX" folder and file can be ignored by PC users I assume.

Do we need to copy the new "Layouts" file to the existing "layouts" folder or to the parent folder [Responsive Layout Maker Pro]? Or can we ignore it completely since it is 0 bytes?

Moving along ...

So we open the Layouts folder in the new zip file ...

Now we have:
    Card [folder]
    Comet [folder]
    Emily [folder]
    .DS_store
    Card
    Comet
    Emily

I assume that the intention is to copy the Card/Comet/Emily files/folders to the layouts folder under Responsive Layout Maker Pro. But what do we do with ".DS_Store"?

And then, for example, we open Card and we find:
    card_website [folder]
    .DS_store"
    card.rlmp
    card_website

What do we do with this ".DS_store" file?

And, should we assume at this point that RLMP files can reside anywhere (since I see them in two different levels here)?

And, should we assume that the "card_website" file and folder must be in same folder as "card.rlmp" (as they are in the zip file)?

And finally, we open the card_wesite folder and find:
    css [folder]
    fonts [folder]
    img [folder]
    js [folder]
    about-us.html
    contact-us.html
    css
    fonts
    img
    index.html
    js

Okay. The folders contain the files the author used in creating this web site. And the HTML files are the three pages they created. And these files/folders constitute the "package" that is published. What do we do with the four zero byte files (css, fonts, img, js)? Are they needed or can they be discarded?

As I said, I understand that that these great layout files are not "installed" files, per se. But they appear to have some folder hierarchy that would affect their interaction. And then there are the [possibly] extraneous files in the zip file (eg, .DS_store or the various "zero byte" files).

Thanks for being patient with me. Back in the day, one did not muck about with "installations" until one understood how all the pieces fit together and how they interacted ... or one found himself spending the weekend rebuilding his Windows installation. I guess old habits die hard, eh? LOL and have a great weekend! :cool:

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.