First result - Page 2 - Post ID 227494

User 603315 Photo

938 posts

Hans van Overbeek wrote:
@ Steve. Thanks.
"The more I use the program the easier it gets Nigel. You will find it that way too. It takes me no time at all to bang out a grid."
I am with you there. But I noticed that once you've chosen a grid you are stuck to that. You cann't change it on the fly. Something I would love to do.

@G'kar. There are some arguments in favor for starting the design process with mobile first. It is leaner in the code and content distributed to the mobile devices. Although in de desktop-down approach you can set the visibility to none for elements it will still load on all devices. That is often to heavy for a phone, for instance.
The difficulty is that one has to deal with different page-designs and content hierarchy in between the breakpoints. am still struggling with that.

Yes Hans in the UK there are two magazines that you can get, actually they are quite popular among designers/developers in many countries, but the point they make is to start mobile design first, it is hard for me to get that in my mind even if it's the best way forward because of being a very much desktop/laptop chap. Before RLM did you make responsive sites or is this your first attempt? also do you use a smart phone a lot? or does these points not really matter as regards designing for mobile first?? I would be interested for your opines on this. Although I've designed dozens and dozens of sites over the years probably too many to count, this is learning all over again and I like picking other peoples brains :P

BTW I love Dutch names, I play online chess and I always call myself Vandenberg :D:lol:
User 91713 Photo

83 posts

Nigel, my current project is my second attempt. Recently I made a website with more than fourty pages and a lot of images for a non-profit organization. We wanted this also to look good on mobile devices. I wasn't bothered by knowledge at all and jumped in and followed a desktop-down approach. Desktop design was what I was familiar with. Wrote all my classes according to a twelve colomn grid and the media queries. It costed me weeks and in the end all content can be seen on a tablet and a phone. In this process I learned to focus better on the hierarchy of content, what can be left out and what not. I ended with the notion that the design process could be more efficient. That is what I am looking for now. Therefore I have taken interest in frameworks, like Foundation, Bootstrap and Coffeegrinder. They can solve a lot of problems at forehand. Like you say it is all learning again.
The perfection isn't reached in one pass.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.