Will RCS allow a carousel-like...

User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Wayan Jaya wrote:
DianaH wrote:
This is just the orbit portion using my photos and attempting to add a paragraph on the first slide. I'm only looking at a widescreen view. The first photo in the slideshow is small. Not sure how to correct.

I tried to upload it, but the forum would not allow even though it was a .RSD. Here's a link to it on DropBox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfn81u6kgtonh … t.rsd?dl=0

So are you wanting the orbit slider images to be full screen?

The problem seems to be with the new version of SD (3.5) it's not recognising the height in % values,, change the list container to VH = 100
Then adjust the top padding of the container with the paragraph tp whatever horizontal position you want

but your images are huge still except for the first one which is tiny (460 pixels wide, it will look grainy at anything close to a viewport greater than 600px wide.

One of the secrets to sliders & using background images (so you can overlay something), is to
1/ set the width of the image to around the 1280 px size (or 2000 px for really large screens (but then this will require additional breakpoints adding)
2/ Decide on the height of the slider on the page: is it to be full screen, or a banner (landscape)? that takes up only a portion of the viewport, in which case then you need to decide the height that you want the slider to be.

3/make the height of your images a little bit more in height than the height of the slider that you have already decided the height to be (so for example if you decide the height of the slider should be say 600 pixels retaining the same proportions
(even if some cropping is involved) then the height of the image should be say 610 pixels (or as near to that as you can get with the retaining proportions (even if this means cropping the images) so again if the proportions you have for the image, require the width to be 1280 x 630 then that would be ok.
3.a. By doing it this way, this helps the background image stay reasonably centred top & bottom, throughout the ever-increasing widths as it only has a few pixels top & bottom to show

You should make additional images (1 or 3 depending on the image)for the smaller viewports & medium viewports, in order to speed up loading times at these lower devices

I will later today make the video I promise so if you can hang on a few more hours it will be clearer as to the process
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

DianaH wrote:
Wayan Jaya wrote:

So are you wanting the orbit slider images to be full screen?

The problem seems to be with the new version of SD (3.5) it's not recognising the height in % values,, change the list container to VH = 100
Then adjust the top padding of the container with the paragraph tp whatever horizontal position you want

but your images are huge still

No. I want the images to look just like they do on http://threeoaksvineyard.com/. But I want to move the "Tasting room and patio..." paragraph to be words across the picture. Much like you did. Hopefully, what you see on my live site is not large pictures. It's not on mine.

Changing container to VH = 100 and Background from Custom to Contain seems to fix it. I even have the words on the picture just like I want. However, now there is an unintended padding between the bottom of the picture and the buttons below. It's like leaky pipes, lol. Maybe I should wait for the video.

But if the one on the testing site is ok why are you trying to do a new one ?

The problem is that you need to make the slider as a background image if you want to put a container with the paragraph as an overlay, That means some real fiddling has to go on with your image sizes
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Changing container to VH = 100 and Background from Custom to Contain seems to fix it. I even have the words on the picture just like I want. However, now there is an unintended padding between the bottom of the picture and the buttons below. It's like leaky pipes, lol.

Thats because the other sliders contain IMAGES not background images, & those images are huge so they have a greater height thats why it appears to be padding

So set the height of the list item containers back to auto
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 2503578 Photo

102 posts

Wayan Jaya wrote:

The problem is that you need to make the slider as a background image if you want to put a container with the paragraph as an overlay, That means some real fiddling has to go on with your image sizes

The website link is my production site and works fine, but it does not have words overlaying the pictures. The dropbox link had my development work where I am attempting to add some overlay. I want it to look just like the production site but have the words. I'm learning that picture element formatting is not the same as background image formatting. As you say, I will need to fiddle with image sizes. That answers the question. Thanks for all your help, I certainly learned a lot. I hope your internet connection improves for you. ;-}
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

DianaH wrote:
Wayan Jaya wrote:

The website link is my production site and works fine, but it does not have words overlaying the pictures. The dropbox link had my development work where I am attempting to add some overlay. I want it to look just like the production site but have the words. I'm learning that picture element formatting is not the same as background image formatting. As you say, I will need to fiddle with image sizes. That answers the question. Thanks for all your help, I certainly learned a lot. I hope your internet connection improves for you. ;-}

here is your file reworked so you can see the settings etc etc
Attachments:
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 2503578 Photo

102 posts

Wayan Jaya wrote:

Thank you. I'll check it out after I upgrade to yesterday's latest version. :-)
User 2503578 Photo

102 posts

Wayan Jaya wrote:
[quote=DianaH

Woohoo! Looks great! I can't wait to update the production website like this. Thank you for the rework and for all the feedback and information on websites and Site Designer. I was in IT all my "corporate" career before going full time at our winery, but I wasn't a web designer. So this has been very helpful.

By the way, so glad you sent it with the upgraded version. I upgraded my Site Designer and really like the improvements! The tree information (for lack of a better word) is invaluable. Plus now it tells me that I built it in Foundation 6.5.1 - Mobile First. That wasn't on the screen before.

Thanks and looking forward to the video.

Diana
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

DianaH wrote:
Wayan Jaya wrote:
[quote=DianaH

Woohoo! Looks great! I can't wait to update the production website like this. Thank you for the rework and for all the feedback and information on websites and Site Designer. I was in IT all my "corporate" career before going full time at our winery, but I wasn't a web designer. So this has been very helpful.

Thanks and looking forward to the video.

Diana

Hi again
Well designing be it web or graphics or any other thing is a discipline of it's own, having some sort of artistic bent also helps :D I studied art & design for 4 years thousands of years ago in my youth, then fell into iT.

On the subject of design & images, if I may be so bold to make another suggestion I hope you don't mind.

The images on your site are really great but there is something missing on some of them................... "Life"

What I mean by that is that for instance the images of your patio, tent, tasting room etc, really could do with some life (people) at the moment nice as they are they sort of come across as photographs that a real estate agent would take for selling someone's property, which isn't what you are doing, you are selling Wines, Wine Tasting etc, in the design/marketing world it is known that people are "followers" so

something for you to consider is

take another photo (s) of the patio, tent, tasting room, with people actually in it, enjoying glasses of wine, etc etc, even stage it if you need to by asking a few friends round cracking a bottle or two and take the shots (make sure it looks like they are enjoying themselves, and make sure that the same people don't appear too many times in different places, which will make it look like it's staged.

This will have the effect for visitors to the site of "reality", they see people actually tasting the wines enjoying the hospitality etc, and believe me it will encourage them to want to try that as well, more than just a nice image of an empty patio.tent/bar

By the same token, showing images of the vines (especially at harvest time) with someone picking the grapes/ pruning the vines whatever will also add that "Reality"

Only a suggestion or two
from the design point of view
(see I can be a poet too)

STUCK ON SOMETHING?

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.