Suggestions for CoffeeCup HTML Editor...

User 1941372 Photo

92 posts

1. Implement a <Shift><Tab> (i.e. Tab Out). Currently <Shift><Tab> functions like 'regular' Tab. Most editors implement this to move a selection block back towards the left margin (i.e. a "reverse tab").

2. In the "Local Disk" tree, highlight (i.e. mark in some way) the file names whose associated buffer is out of sync with the server file. In other words, when a loaded file gets edited in any way (i.e. changed), indicate this in the Local Disk tree so it is easy to find the file(s) that need to be uploaded to the server. The file name in the Code Editor tab is appended with an asterisk when edited, now do something like this in the Local Disk tree (e.g. background color change, icon color change, bold file name text, some sort of cute icon next to the file name (only, put it on the left side 'cuz it might get hidden if on the right), etc.)

3. Currently the Code Edtior's auto scroll speed is WAY too fast. Add an option (or preference) for setting the auto scroll speed. What do I mean by "Auto Scroll"? Try selecting some text with the mouse and then, while still holding down the Left Mouse Button (or whatever button you use to select text), move the mouse pointer to either beyond the top of the editor pane, or beyond the bottom and notice how the viewport moves. It moves so fast that it's difficult to stop where I want it to stop (and I have exceptional reflexes). The work around is to use <Shift><Up/Down Arrow> -- and, I suppose if I was a power-user, I wouldn't be messing with the mouse, but, well...you know...
When we look at the things around us, we only see them as they were in the past. We really have no perception of reality, at all!
User 1941372 Photo

92 posts

Regarding the Auto Code Completion feature (really cool, BTW) the 'for' attribute is missing from 'label' tag.

e.g.:

<label for="txt_fav_cheese">Favorite Cheese:</label>
<input type="text" id="txt_fav_cheese" name="fav_cheese" />
When we look at the things around us, we only see them as they were in the past. We really have no perception of reality, at all!
User 494969 Photo

5 posts

I have been a casual user of CoffeeCup for many years: I use it as my desktop editor of choice for HTML and a great place to find tricks.

My beef is the lack of macro functionality. What is with that? A lot of times I need to do cleanup work on pages generated by CMS systems/ mindmapping/ Zotero/ etc, and this can be hugely made easier by storing keystrokes. I suppose I could do it using SED, but it has been a long time since I had any kind of fluency in the cryptography needed. And XSLT theoretically would be great, but I can't afford the tools. (and crazy, but macros in Notepad++ don't script search/replace).

any help?
doug
User 92156 Photo

272 posts

When using CCS Menu, I might want to rearrange the order of menu items.
It would be handy to have up & down buttons in the Menu Designer tab to move a menu item up & down it's list.

Thanks.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Zipper wrote:
When using CCS Menu, I might want to rearrange the order of menu items.
It would be handy to have up & down buttons in the Menu Designer tab to move a menu item up & down it's list.

Thanks.

I concur, this would be quite helpful indeed. :)
User 1941372 Photo

92 posts

In trying out the CSS Menu Designer in new 2010 version of the HTML Editor (build 318) I didn't see a way to add background images to the menus. Like the "Post Message" and "Preview Post" buttons at the bottom of this forum page, menus look a heck of a lot better with shaded backgrounds or a "glassy" look or 3Dish treatments, etc.

How about a new tab for adding backgrounds with an image selector/previewer and with a feature that sets the menu dimensions to equal the image dimensions.

Or, if you wanna get really ambitious, how about a background image generator -- something that allows the user to set the menu height/width (e.g. make it fixed height with expandable width (ala background-repeat:repeat-x;) or vice-versa), then apply various fill effects such as linear/redial/??? gradient, tile, texture, emboss, add noise, blur, wind (e.g. brushed aluminum), twirl, random bubbles, blister, warp, saturation, contrast, brightness, hue shift, first letter in background, text shadow, ???

A lot can be done with just random noise (speckle), blur, edge detection, and warping filters.

I know ... never satisfied ;)
User 6230 Photo

48 posts

I would like to see some mobile website templates made available for purchase.

Thanks,
User 418644 Photo

9 posts

I develop a lot in VBA and miss a couple of things avaivlable in VBA that might be nice in the HTML editior.

1. Shift + Tab to take the start of a line back to the previous tab. eg press tab then shift+tab should take you back to where you were.

2. when lines of text wrap, instead of them starting at the complete left and making your code hard to read, have them wrap to align with the start of the previous line. ie to just after the <p> they belong to.
Kent
User 92156 Photo

272 posts

Kent Gorrell wrote:
4. when lines of text wrap, instead of them starting at the complete left and making your code hard to read, have them wrap to align with the start of the previous line. ie to just after the <p> they belong to.

I like that idea.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Kent Gorrell wrote:
I develop a lot in VBA and miss a couple of things avaivlable in VBA that might be nice in the HTML editior.

1. Shift + Tab to take the start of a line back to the previous tab. eg press tab then shift+tab should take you back to where you were.

2. when lines of text wrap, instead of them starting at the complete left and making your code hard to read, have them wrap to align with the start of the previous line. ie to just after the <p> they belong to.

Hiya Kent,

1. Yeah I like that idea too as it doesn't seem that anything else specific is tied to Shift + Tab other than the same function as the Tab key.

2. Definitely this would be a super useful thing that I have to support 2000 % :P

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.