Suggestions for CoffeeCup HTML Editor...

User 2648999 Photo

6 posts

I'm working on projects with really deep directory structures - it is a huge pain to not be able to easily create a new file or duplicate a file in a specific directory. If I need to copy a file I have to copy the content, paste it into a new file, then save it to the same location by navigating through twenty levels of the directory structure. Two ways this could be improved - 1) new value for 'Copy' letting you copy a file to 'Here' (rename the copied file in the usual OS manner). 2) 'Create file here' when you right click on a directory. Either would do.

Automatic indentations for CSS just don't work and I end up with stair-stepping down the page whenever I try to close a CSS declaration. I've turned it off but after spending so many years writing it 'neatly' it just looks odd.

Shift+enter inserts a <br/> even when editing a CSS file, annoying when you're typing quickly and you don't fully release the shift after your closing brace before hitting return. I can't seem to turn this off.

Double click selecting is not intelligent, neither is ctrl+left/right arrow - if I select a variable in a line of javascript it selects the apostrophes and I've given up trying to predict where ctrl+left arrow is going to move the cursor, not a problem I have in any other software I use.

I'm also getting sick of the upload function uploading the selected file rather than the one I have open, but I understand most people feel the same way and this has already been raised several times. I was hoping it was something I'd get used to, but after several months I still find myself uploading the wrong file.

I'm spending 50-60 hours a week using CoffeeCup and it's a frustrating experience.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Dan Smith wrote:
I'm working on projects with really deep directory structures - it is a huge pain to not be able to easily create a new file or duplicate a file in a specific directory. If I need to copy a file I have to copy the content, paste it into a new file, then save it to the same location by navigating through twenty levels of the directory structure. Two ways this could be improved - 1) new value for 'Copy' letting you copy a file to 'Here' (rename the copied file in the usual OS manner). 2) 'Create file here' when you right click on a directory. Either would do.

Open the page you want to duplicate and save it with a new name. I don't know if the current setup will change or not but this is just as quick.

Dan Smith wrote:

I'm also getting sick of the upload function uploading the selected file rather than the one I have open, but I understand most people feel the same way and this has already been raised several times. I was hoping it was something I'd get used to, but after several months I still find myself uploading the wrong file.

If it's any consolation, many of us have asked for this to be changed over the years. What I can tell you is that $400 into Dreamweaver will not get you that feature either so not sure if this will change, but I vote for it also.
User 2648999 Photo

6 posts

Jo Ann wrote:
Open the page you want to duplicate and save it with a new name. I don't know if the current setup will change or not but this is just as quick..

That's brilliant, thanks!

With Dreamweaver from at least MX onwards you can use ctrl+shift+u to upload the current file to its associated server.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Thanks Dan, you taught me something today too! :)
User 372397 Photo

8 posts

Very simple, easy fix to something that is a time waster and annoying. When you do tags such as <ul>, <lol>, <li>, the cursor winds up in side of the tag, and not between the brackets, so that you cannot make a tag, have it autocomplete and just type the text inside the tag.

Please, fix this for an old bald guy, getting older and balder. :cool:
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

You'll have to fight off all us other oldies that rely on this feature for easily adding classes and IDs to our tags. :D
Keeping it in order allows the program to logically suggest what comes next:
<ul id="nav"></ul>

Just click your right arrow once to position the cursor in between the tags.;)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 469268 Photo

80 posts

paintbrush wrote:
You'll have to fight off all us other oldies that rely on this feature for easily adding classes and IDs to our tags. :D
Keeping it in order allows the program to logically suggest what comes next:
<ul id="nav"></ul>
Just click your right arrow once to position the cursor in between the tags.;)

Sorry but have to side with Paintbrush on this one, supporting multiple web sites, one affiliated with the NPS and a heavy user of HTML5 and CSS3, heavy user of classes and ID's, the way it works now is perfect, otherwise, would have to spend time clicking back into the tag to add a class.
User 2306259 Photo

2 posts

The Replace feature is currently global in its application. It would be useful if one could constrain this feature within a highlighted area. VB6 had this facility and I found it very useful. Say you wanted to change a word or phrase within a function. You would highlight the function before intitating Replace. As a result, only changes withing the hightlighted area would be made..
User 2147646 Photo

233 posts

Bob wrote:
The Replace feature is currently global in its application. It would be useful if one could constrain this feature within a highlighted area. VB6 had this facility and I found it very useful. Say you wanted to change a word or phrase within a function. You would highlight the function before intitating Replace. As a result, only changes withing the hightlighted area would be made..

+1 :)

User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,095 posts

Dan Smith wrote:
I'm working on projects with really deep directory structures - it is a huge pain to not be able to easily create a new file or duplicate a file in a specific directory. If I need to copy a file I have to copy the content, paste it into a new file, then save it to the same location by navigating through twenty levels of the directory structure.

Just a helpful suggestion for copying. Open the file you want to copy. Click File->Save As. Navigate to the folder where you want to save it and click Save. It's a lot quicker. (Please don't reply to this. I'm just trying to help, not debate the veracity of your suggestion.)
ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including training for Site Designer and Web Form Builder via Zoom.
Email me at support@usconsumernet.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.