Suggestions for CoffeeCup HTML Editor...

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Eli Cohen wrote:
HI
The list of "All Website Projects" is gone again....
the only thing I can think of I was doing is:
1. running: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
2. opening "hosts" file
3. adding IP for a website: 185.61.152.13 my-domain.com
and now ALL websites projects list is gone.... again...

Please add feature: save projects list to file and load project list from file
so that it will never happen again.

You sort of have that ability now. Just backup the project.ini file located at AppData\Roaming\CoffeeCup Software\CoffeeCup HTML Editor\Settings
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Eli Cohen wrote:
HI
The list of "All Website Projects" is gone again....
the only thing I can think of I was doing is:
1. running: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
2. opening "hosts" file
3. adding IP for a website: 185.61.152.13 my-domain.com
and now ALL websites projects list is gone.... again...

Please add feature: save projects list to file and load project list from file
so that it will never happen again.

Are you running any computer cleaning programs like Ccleaner or similar? I recall having that same issue with both HTML Editor and Direct FTP losing all my project list and it was Ccleaner doing it. Man we looked at everything between CoffeeCup support and myself and a few others, and I don't recall how we finally figured out what it was, but it was Ccleaner deleting the projects file as the HTML Editor had just gotten added to their list of programs to clean files for.
Check and see if you're running something that might be doing that. :)
User 2709958 Photo

1 post

Highlighting start and end tags

Inger wrote:
When clicking on a start tag, let it highlight the corresponding end tag. Or even if you are working somewhere within say <table></table> those tags should be highlighted.

Even in HTML Editor 15, this feature is not implemented, as far as I can see. Or have I overlooked the option to switch it on?
User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

The CC Editor is great, but there will always be another wish list... :)
So here is mine for version 15.1:

1. Fix bug in: Replace All (open files) > Save All > Close All
For background and detailed roadmap for replication, see this thread:
http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/html-ed … amp;page=2

2. Tab stops (under Preferences > Editor Options):
Either add an explanation about how they are supposed to work, in context help (F1), or change/simplify to make them more intuitive:
E.g. what is the meaning of - and interaction between - the following terms: "Smart Tab", "Block Indent Size", "Tab Columns", "Tab Stop" ?

3. Update Code-tab for CSS3.
Include, e.g.:
border-radius (I know that we can find this under 'Snippets', but it would be more convenient/intuitive under Code tab together with everything else)
gradients
transform
flex
@media
@keyframes
@font-face

etc...
User 331746 Photo

24 posts

I recently upgraded my HTML Editor from 14.x to 15.1 and was pleasantly surprised to find markdown language as an option. I'm assuming this is just basic core markdown. Would you please consider adding GitHub flavored markdown support? GitHub flavored markdown has additional functionality and is what I use to create documentation for other projects. https://help.github.com/articles/github-flavored-markdown/ Having this would keep me in the CC HTML Editor instead of having to switch to a different program for markdown which is what I have to do now.

Also, I'm a big fan of the F11 & F12 buttons to preview my work. Is it possible to change my view in F12 from top/bottom to a side by side view?

Thanks!
HLADE’S LAW:
If you have a difficult task give it to a lazy man — he will find an easier way to do it.
User 2802538 Photo

1 post

Hi,
I noticed that when I am in the Images folder and go through the steps to upload an image, at then end there is no intuitive "go back to site" or "go back to images folder" button. It initially took me quite some time to just click on the menu above, but it's more about the functions being consistent from activity to activity.

Also, would it be possible to view the images in the folder?
oh boy, one thought leads to another.... I like that you have themes available. For those who may not be very well versed in either css or html, it would be cool to have comments to help users navigate and make updates for their own site/pages and information.

I'm still new to using this site, but so far I find it pretty good. It seems like lots of thought has gone into making it easy to use. Thanks!
Leslie
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

Leslie, an easy way to add images is from the left panel. If you use "Projects" (highly recommended), all your project folders, files and HTML pages will be displayed in that panel. Click on your images folder*, find the one you want and a thumbnail will display at the bottom of the panel. Put your cursor in your HTML page/code where you want the image to appear then click on the image file and the tag will be inserted in your page.
*You should create your own images folder, put all your properly sized/optimized images in it. You can then open this to add, edit and/or delete images as needed from outside of the Editor.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 469268 Photo

80 posts

paintbrush wrote:
Leslie, an easy way to add images is from the left panel. If you use "Projects" (highly recommended), all your project folders, files and HTML pages will be displayed in that panel. Click on your images folder*, find the one you want and a thumbnail will display at the bottom of the panel. Put your cursor in your HTML page/code where you want the image to appear then click on the image file and the tag will be inserted in your page.
*You should create your own images folder, put all your properly sized/optimized images in it. You can then open this to add, edit and/or delete images as needed from outside of the Editor.

On target, to reinforce a point Leslie made, optimize your images in a separate folder for use. Use CC to maintain 3 sites plus Facebook for 501c3, use Web Image Studio (use button in upper right) and/or this site http://webresizer.com/resizer/ makes a big difference in download speed..
User 2165799 Photo

1 post

Zipper wrote:
CC Editor's Find & Replace works extremely well - but sometimes I would like to find & replace within a small section of a file, not the entire file.

So is it possible to add a "Look in selected text only" option to the "Look in Current document / All open documents / Look in folder" option list?

Great suggestion. Here is another: How about allowing users to save common search and replace phrases?
User 310610 Photo

3 posts

Copied to this discussion as more appropriate.
Having used the editor more heavily recently I am generally very (very !) pleased with it.

I have a strong suggestion to make for an improvement.

I am developing more than one prototype (each with versions a few times a week) in parallel for a client
Version control of html, css etc is easy - I have base folders ECH10, ECH11 etc that can be uploaded as required to the demo site.
Version control of "commonheader.lbi" is harder. I don't want "commonheader10.lbi" as it may well work in ECH11 until changed when its name needs to change so ECH10 is still remains viable. And when the project is frozen for full development I dont want different version numbers all over the place.

There are really two types of library .. 'project specific' and 'my wonderful scripts that I reuse in all projects'
If you had ProjLib (files in subfolder of the project) and GlobLib (well, somewhere) it would improve the product.
Similar ideas apply to snippets ( 'css for logo colour' ).
( If you only have one, then ProjLib is better than Globlib as you can always copy over useful stuff )

regards
Gareth

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.