Suggestions for CoffeeCup HTML Editor...

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya JR,

Don't expect that as they just removed that from the editor to be able to give us more HTML functionality which is much more important to most of us. Trust me when I say the visual editor was a nightmare for those of us answering problems and questions on the forums as you cannot tab back and forth from the Visual to the Code side without it totally wrecking your code or visual.

Anyways, it was just removed in the 12.5 update. The version 12 still has it in it if you want it check it out. You can install that version using the link given in the readme file that came with the zip install file. You cannot have them both installed though so installing that one will remove the current version. You will lose a lot of the new functionality if you have 12.5 or 12.6 installed too. I highly doubt they will be putting it back in.
User 2212523 Photo

88 posts

What the...?! Really? How was I not aware of the WYSIWYG before? Is it against the license agreement to have both running? (one on a virtual drive). Maybe that's a question I should ask the Coffee Cup team, though :/
User 2366779 Photo

5 posts

The HTML Editor has several ingenious ways to create a new HTML document - OR a new CSS document - but NOT to create a new javascript document.

I guess I could do this in a different editor program, and save that to my /js folder where my project lives . . . it's just a bit boring/jarring.

I also notice that there is no highlighting of javascript documents in the Tools | Preferences | Customization tab (there IS highlighting for PERL but not PHP - another curious thing)

This is all gimmicky stuff, really - aimed at people like me who like to see indented, colourful code as a substitute for any real ability . . .

Just saying

rupertrealbear
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Could we please get a way to upload files that aren't in a currently open project? Right click tab of the open page and choose upload? I know I asked for this before, but I guess I should have gone into why it's something that would be useful.. so ... picture this:

I have right now about 18 pages of a site open (updating menus that are finally all finished etc.)
I get an email and something on someone else's site needs to be added/fixed/etc. right away so I use the Open selection on the File menu and I open that page that I need to work on.
It's not in my currently open project so I make my fix and...
I now have to open the FTP program to upload it because there isn't any way in the HTML Editor that I can see to upload a file that isn't in your currently open project.

Adding a right click menu to the open file tabs would be a perfect solution for this, granted the menu could be used for a few other helpful things, but this would be the most beneficial that I can see. This way you could always be able to upload the currently selected tab regardless of what project it's in.
User 462659 Photo

20 posts

thanks for the 12.6.448 update....

and for the nth time, i am suggesting that the "Preferences" reference/storage/file/information be kept somewhere OUTSIDE the Editor's program so that when an update is installed, the new update can REFERENCE and IMPLEMENT my previously, laboriously-entered preferences!!!

probably at least the third time i've suggested this. even if, after an update, this only "needs to be done once," it could be made to be needed "never again," too.

thanks...
"The Whole World Is A Tradeoff."
User 601710 Photo

114 posts

Alan Falk wrote:
thanks for the 12.6.448 update....

and for the nth time, i am suggesting that the "Preferences" reference/storage/file/information be kept somewhere OUTSIDE the Editor's program so that when an update is installed, the new update can REFERENCE and IMPLEMENT my previously, laboriously-entered preferences!!!

probably at least the third time i've suggested this. even if, after an update, this only "needs to be done once," it could be made to be needed "never again," too.

thanks...
This has been reported for more than the nth time. :P Even if you save the Markup and Settings folder, you are spending time you don't need to to replace/overwrite the new Markup/Settings folder. When you do this, you're never sure if there is something you shouldn't have overwritten for the update.
Ron
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

I would love to see an integration for CSS to show colors when entering a color or font-color or background-color or any other color that exists so that it shows you the color chart for you to choose from, and shows you the color of the number you have entered when you click in that field.
User 2015681 Photo

4 posts

Unless I have missed it, I do not see a control for the refresh rate for the split window view of the HTML/web view option. Currently it refresh- flashes as I type which is very annoying. Either a feature that controls the rate of refreshing, an on/off/manual control, or IDEALLY a seamless continuous update without a complete page refresh after every few characters typed.
User 469268 Photo

80 posts

Coyote wrote:
Unless I have missed it, I do not see a control for the refresh rate for the split window view of the HTML/web view option. Currently it refresh- flashes as I type which is very annoying. Either a feature that controls the rate of refreshing, an on/off/manual control, or IDEALLY a seamless continuous update without a complete page refresh after every few characters typed.

For a developer doing a lot of changes/updates, a REFRESH button would be the best solution. That way the developer has total control over exactly when the other window is updated. What you may be seeing is a slow processor or low internal memory issue where the computer is just not capable of a seamless continuous update, the refresh button concept would solve that.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Jerry Givan wrote:
What you may be seeing is a slow processor or low internal memory issue where the computer is just not capable of a seamless continuous update, the refresh button concept would solve that.

Trust me, it's not a processor issue at all. I've had the same refresh flashing every few keystrokes since the day they put in the instant update. I have a gaming machine barely a year old and extremely fast and excellent graphics card etc. etc. and I have the same issue. Pauses sometimes to the point of annoyance actually and I have to turn the preview off if I'm going to do a lot of typing because it's annoying and interrupting.

Don't get me wrong, I surely don't want it turned off, but I do agree with the ability to be able to adjust the speed of it, and/or a button to turn it on and off at will, as well as a manual refresh option. Any in fact all of them would be nice :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.